"The school was founded in 1588 by Royal Charter, applied for by a Rev. Johnson, and within part of Spalding Parish Church, called St Thomas's Chapel, until the 19th century.
It was founded on its current site in 1881"
Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-
"The Free Grammar School, Priory road, founded in 1588 by Sir John Gamlyn, was removed to its present site in 1881;
the buildings, constructed of red brick, faced with Ancaster stone, in the Queen Anne style, surround a courtyard, the master's house occupying the south & west fronts;
the school has a yearly endowment of £280, out of which the governors have to provide for the management of the Willesby School;
£30 a year is given for scholarships from the Willesby School & £30 for scholarships at all the Elementary schools, all these being tenable at the Grammar school;
a large chemistry laboratory, costing about £800, & an art room have been recently added;
the school is now a Secondary School under the Board of Education, & is controlled by 14 governors"
DB 2 October 2019