Much of the nave construction is from the Decorated period. The tower and spire are a little later (Perpendicular).
This view from the south-west shows the fine Perpendicular tower of St Denis's church. The spire, of the same period, has a simple array of 4 lucarnes.
The chancel of St Denis's church, seen here from the south-east, was rebuilt for Sir Thomas Whichcote by Edward Blore* in 1839-41
* Edward Blore (1787-1879) was an eminent landscape artist and architect. He was responsible for remodelling Lambeth Palace and completed work on Buckingham Palace after Nash.
View of the church from the north-east. Structural problems have beset the church in the recent past and the top of the spire has become dislodged (cf. photo of 2013).
A circular font with four corner shafts dating from the Transitional period. An unusual design.
A memorial to George Bass, explorer, who was baptised in the church in 1771.
Mark Acton, 2017
The inscription on the memorial to George Bass.
A hatchment in memory of Marianne, wife of Sir Thomas Whichcote, 7th Baronet. She died 10 May 1849.
The four-bay arcade with quatrefoil pillars dates from the Decorated period.
This fine relief is a memorial to Lady Whichcote (d.1849) by Thomas Campbell*.
* Thomas Campbell (1790-1858) renowned Scottish sculptor
This is the fine Transitional south doorway at St Denis's church.