Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Bardney
 
Bardney Dairies, Methodist Church
Bardney Dairies, Methodist Church
Bardney Dairies, Methodist Church

This tiny chapel in a remote spot was built for the Wesleyans in 1857. A porch was added in 1957 to mark the centenary of the chapel.

August 2015


Bardney, Dairies methodist church
Bardney Dairies, Methodist Church
Bardney Dairies, Methodist Church
Bardney Dairies, Methodist Church

The Methodist Chapel at Bardney Dairies is hard against the B1202, three miles north of Bardney village.

Yellow Wragby brick, laid in Flemish bond, has been used in its construction. It was clearly built in two phases: see the vertical joint to the left of the right-hand door and note the slight change in colour of the bricks at this point.

August 2015

Bardney, Dairies, Methodist Church
Bardney, Abbey
Bardney, Abbey
Bardney, Abbey

The site of the medieval abbey church looking east. The mounds cover what remains of the bases of the nave piers.

Part of the abbey cloister can be seen on the right.

Frank Robinson, December 2014

Bardney, abbey
Bardney, Abbey plan
Bardney, Abbey plan
Bardney, Abbey plan

Bird's eye view of Bardney Abbey looking from east to west. The Lincoln Gap and the cathedral are seen in the distance.

This speculative drawing by David Vale incorporates information derived from excavations of the abbey and its layout together with general knowledge of English Benedictine monasteries.

 

Bardney, Abbey plan, David Vale
Bardney, Abbey stone 01
Bardney, Abbey stone 01
Bardney, Abbey stone 01

A small waterleaf capital of high quality set on a square jamb block.

Below the main waterleaf it has a lower tier of leaves with a spiral pattern of decoration and drilled centres.

This piece is of early Gothic design and north-French style and as such probable originated in the transepts of the church.

From the display in St Lawrence Church, Bardney, 2013

Bardney, Abbey, stone
Bardney, Abbey stone 02
Bardney, Abbey stone 02
Bardney, Abbey stone 02

A niche head canopy with a miniature vault under an ogee-fronted arch.  The arch is decorated with foliate designs and has a foliate finial.

This engages with an embattled parapet over a cornice studded with miniature fleurons.  The crenellations have miniature merlons pierced with cross loops with drilled ends.

This splendid piece is probably 14th century in date.

From the display in St Lawrence Church, Bardney, 2013

Bardney, Abbey
Bardney, Abbey stone 03
Bardney, Abbey stone 03
Bardney, Abbey stone 03

A square planned abacus from the top of a pier capital with a moulded rim.

This is decorated with a band of small pyramid nailhead pellets over a shallow hollow and lower roll.

Probably from a broad rectangular respond in the aisles of the church the profile is essentially Romanesque in form.

From the display in St Lawrence Church, Bardney, 2013

Bardney, Abbey
Bardney, Abbey stone 04
Bardney, Abbey stone 04
Bardney, Abbey stone 04

A large grotesque corbel head, probably of Romanesque date and from the eaves of the church, it has a well-defined mouth and teeth with the tongue showing in the centre.  At the sides are small ears.

The over-large and exaggerated features indicate it was set at a considerable height.

From the display in St Lawrence Church, Bardney, 2013

Bardney, Abbey stone
Bardney, Abbey stone 05
Bardney, Abbey stone 05
Bardney, Abbey stone 05

A transom bar from a perpendicular window.

This shows two soffit cups with glazing grooves.  The upper face is embattled and also has a well-defined glazing groove.

The glazed light was relatively wide and it seems possible that this was simply one light from a much larger window.

From the display in St Lawrence Church, Bardney, 2013

Bardney, Abbey stone
Bardney, Abbey stone 06
Bardney, Abbey stone 06
Bardney, Abbey stone 06

The apex stone from an acutely pointed lancet arch of 13th century date.

It shows extensive use of claw tooling and probably originated in the blind arcading applied to the lower part of the west front of the church.

From the display in St Lawrence Church, Bardney, 2013

Bardney, Abbey stone
Bardney, Abbey stone 07
Bardney, Abbey stone 07
Bardney, Abbey stone 07

A large leaf decorated capital from a corner position or the side of a respond pier.  Notably it is angled to receive the vault rib it was designed to support.

The broad leaves have a tie across them and the central loop is decorated with a smaller leaf.  The faces of the broad leaves are marked out for cutting facets into them and for some reason this was never done.

The style is north-French and early Gothic.

From the display in St Lawrence Church, Bardney, 2013

Bardney, Abbey stone
Bardney, Abbey stone 08
Bardney, Abbey stone 08
Bardney, Abbey stone 08

Part of the base of a 14th Century screen with major and minor bases for filleted shafts flanked by side fillets and on the minor bases single smaller filleted shafts.

Heavy claw tooling is visible on the tool bed face.

From the display in St Lawrence Church, Bardney, 2013

Bardney, Abbey stone
Bardney, Abbey stone 09
Bardney, Abbey stone 09
Bardney, Abbey stone 09

Stone head from Bardney Abbey

David Miles, 2012

Bardney, Abbey stone
Bardney, Abbey, column
Bardney, Abbey, column
Bardney, Abbey, column

Photograph of a column at Bardney Abbey, during excavations undertaken by the Reverend Laing between 1909 and 1914.

Courtesy of Lincolnshire County Council, The Collection

Bardney, Abbey, column, Reverend Laing
Bardney, Abbey, excavators
Bardney, Abbey, excavators
Bardney, Abbey, excavators

Photograph of a group of excavators at Bardney Abbey, during excavations undertaken by the Reverend Laing between 1909 and 1914.  Reverend Laing himself sits at the centre.

Courtesy of Lincolnshire County Council, The Collection

Bardney, Abbey, group laing
Bardney, Abbey, inside west front
Bardney, Abbey, inside west front
Bardney, Abbey, inside west front

Photograph of the inner side of the west front at Bardney Abbey, during excavations undertaken by the Reverend Laing between 1909 and 1914.

Courtesy of Lincolnshire County Council, The Collection

Bardney, Abbey west front Laing
Bardney, Bardney Lock
Bardney, Bardney Lock
Bardney, Bardney Lock

Bardney Lock, one mile north-west of the village centre, was built in 1865 to replace the original lock of c.1770.

It controls water levels on the Witham at the most prominent of the cuts which straightened and improved the river in the eighteenth century.

The lock has unusual curved gates, also seen at Antons Gowt and Stamp End, Lincoln.

September 2013

Bardney, Bardney Lock
Bardney, Ferry
Bardney, Ferry
Bardney, Ferry

There is known to have been a ferry over the Witham at Bardney for over 1000 years.

As shown in this Victorian photograph, there were separate ferries for passengers and vehicles; both of them chain operated.

The building of a bridge over the river 1894-96 to the north-west (left) of this scene brought the ferry services to an end.

Undated postcard

Bardney, Ferry, bridge,
Bardney, Methodist Church
Bardney, Methodist Church
Bardney, Methodist Church

The current Methodist Church in Church Lane was built in 1903 as the lecture hall and Sunday School for the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel.

The original chapel, which stood behind the current building, was demolished in 1973.

May 2010

Bardney, Wesleyan chapel
Bardney, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Bardney, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Bardney, Primitive Methodist Chapel

The former Primitive Methodist Chapel in Wragby Road was built in 1858, as indicated by the date plaque over the door. It ceased to be used as a chapel in the 1950s.

Pearl Wheatley, 2010

Bardney, Primitive Methodist chapel
Bardney, Railway Bridge
Bardney, Railway Bridge
Bardney, Railway Bridge

The railway line across the Wolds from Louth through Wragby to Bardney was opened in 1876 and closed in 1960.

On the stretch between Bardney and Wragby there are very few surviving features of the line.

The station at Kingthorpe has been completely demolished; a crossing keeper's house on Abbey Lane, Bardney is much altered.

However, this fine bridge over a drain close to the B1202 one mile north of Bardney (TF 123 712) remains in good original condition.

Ken Redmore, 2009

Bardney, bridge, railway,
Bardney, Railway Station
Bardney, Railway Station
Bardney, Railway Station

The Lincoln to Boston line was opened in 1848 as part of the Great Northern Railway’s Lincolnshire Loop Line.

It followed the route of the River Witham for much of its 37 mile length. It became the junction for the Bardney to Louth line in 1874.

The distinctive Italianate style of these buildings was inspired by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert who used it for their palace at Osborne House on the Isle of Wight, built 1845-51.

The line closed for passenger trains in 1970 but trains continued to visit the adjacent sugar beet factory until 1981.

Peter Grey Archive, 1970

Bardney, railway station, Lincolnshire Loop Line, Italianate
Bardney, St Francis RC Church
Bardney, St Francis RC Church
Bardney, St Francis RC Church

In 1945, an agricultural hut in Bardney was converted for temporary use as a church.

This building was never replaced, and is still the village’s Roman Catholic Church.

At one time, St Francis’s served many Irish seasonal workers employed at the nearby sugar beet factory.

April 2011

Bardney, St Francis Roman Catholic Church
Bardney, St Lawrence
Bardney, St Lawrence
Bardney, St Lawrence

The Church was built from stone and brick in the fifteenth century and is perpendicular in style. Stone fragments from Bardney Abbey can be seen in the building.

O.S Grid Ref. TF 1194 6937

Kathy Holland, 2013

Bardney, Abbey
Bardney, St Lawrence, Benefactors' Board
Bardney, St Lawrence, Benefactors' Board
Bardney, St Lawrence, Benefactors' Board

Benefactors' Board for Joseph and John Knowles.

Mark Acton, 2008

Bardney, St Lawrence, Benefactor board, Knowles
Bardney, St Lawrence, Chancel
Bardney, St Lawrence, Chancel
Bardney, St Lawrence, Chancel
Bardney, St Lawrence, chancel trompe d'oeil
Bardney, St Lawrence, reredos
Bardney, St Lawrence, reredos
Bardney, St Lawrence, reredos
Bardney, St Lawrence church reredos
Bardney, St Lawrence, statue
Bardney, St Lawrence, statue
Bardney, St Lawrence, statue

Stone figure mounted on north side of chancel. The inscription reads:

"The figure of St Laurence excavated at Bardney Abbey 1910 was restored and placed in this church in loving memory of Walter Thos French MA Vicar of this parish 1910-1930 R.I.P."

Bardney, St Lawrence, statue, monument
Bardney, Sugar Beet Factory
Bardney, Sugar Beet Factory
Bardney, Sugar Beet Factory

Bardney Sugar Beet Factory was built in 1927 alongside the GNR line from Lincoln to Boston (to the east) and the river Witham (west).

It ceased processing beet in 2011, though parts of the plant are still used for bulk storage of sugar and also for sugar refining.

December 2011

Bardney, sugar beet factory
Bardney, windmill
Bardney, windmill
Bardney, windmill
Caption to follow
Bardney, windmill