Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Barlings
 
Barlings, Abbey
Barlings, Abbey
Barlings, Abbey

The Premonstratensian abbey of Barlings was founded in about 1150 and sited on a small island in the fen with access to the River Witham.

The abbey was a major wool producer by the 14th century, and favoured by Edward the Third, who stayed here several times.

The photograph shows the only standing remains, a blank bay of the nave which adjoined the central crossing of the 14th century church.

Frank Robinson, 2010

Barlings, abbey, premonstratensian,
Barlings, St Edward
Barlings, St Edward
Barlings, St Edward

The royal coat of arms of George II, dated 1739, hangs near the west end of St Edward Church.

It was painted by Edward Hunton of Lincoln.

Ken Redmore, 2010 

Barlings, church, Hunton,
Barlings, St Edward
Barlings, St Edward
Barlings, St Edward

Both north & south doorways of St Edward church, Barlings, are Norman; the shafted bellcote is Early English.

The eastern end of the nave & the chancel were rebuilt by Charles Kirk in 1876 but the remainder of the planned restoration was never undertaken.

Ken Redmore, 2010 

Barlings, church, Kirk,