Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Barrow upon Humber
 
Barrow Haven, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Barrow Haven, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Barrow Haven, Primitive Methodist Chapel

"A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Barton-On-Humber Circuit Past And Present” prepared by Colin Shepherdson September 1997 (Revised May 1998) states :- 

"Ferry Road chapel was erected in 1877. It closed in 1994 and permission to sell was given in 1995. It is now standing disused"

Geoff Swain Collection 28 August 1994

Barrow Haven, Primitive Methodist Chapel, church
Barrow Haven, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Barrow Haven, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Barrow Haven, Primitive Methodist Chapel
A second view of the chapel which is located on Ferry Road at National Grid Reference TA063229.

Geoff Swain Collection 28 August 1994
Barrow Haven, Primitive Methodist Chapel, church
Barrow upon Humber, Haven Mill
Barrow upon Humber, Haven Mill
Barrow upon Humber, Haven Mill

This was a four-storey mill with four sails built in 1816.

It worked until the early days of the twentieth century.

Location of mill: TA 062 229

Peter Kirk Collection, 2002

Barrow on Humber, Haven windmill, Peter Kirk
Barrow upon Humber, Holy Trinity
Barrow upon Humber, Holy Trinity
Barrow upon Humber, Holy Trinity

The ashlar-faced tower is from the Decorated period with upper level from the later Perpendicular period.

Peter Kirk Collection, 2002

Barrow on Humber, Holy Trinity
Barrow upon Humber, Pearson's Mill (1)
Barrow upon Humber, Pearson's Mill (1)
Barrow upon Humber, Pearson's Mill (1)

This mill, built in 1869, originally had four floors and four sails.

Jon Sass Collection, undated photograph

Barrow on Humber, Pearson's Mill, windmill, Jon Sass
Barrow upon Humber, Pearson's Mill (2)
Barrow upon Humber, Pearson's Mill (2)
Barrow upon Humber, Pearson's Mill (2)

Pearson's Mill continued working up to the 1920s and is now part of a nursery business.

Location of mill: TA 060 217.

Peter Kirk Collection, 2002
Barrow on Humber, Pearson's Mill
Barrow upon Humber, Primitive Methodist Chapel (Now Village Hall)
Barrow upon Humber, Primitive Methodist Chapel (Now Village Hall)
Barrow upon Humber, Primitive Methodist Chapel (Now Village Hall)

"A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Barton-On-Humber Circuit Past And Present” prepared by Colin Shepherdson September 1997 (Revised May 1998) states :- 

"A barn was registered for worship in September 1819 and a chapel built in 1833, also in the High Street, with a gallery being added in 1849.

A Sunday school was erected in 1853.

The last service was held on the 11.4.1943 and the chapel sold before 1947.

It is now in use as a village hall"

Geoff Swain Collection 28 August 1994

Barrow upon Humber, Primitive Methodist Chapel, church, Village Hall
Barrow upon Humber, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Barrow upon Humber, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Barrow upon Humber, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

"A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Barton-On-Humber Circuit Past And Present” prepared by Colin Shepherdson September 1997 (Revised May 1998) states :- 

"A Society was formed in 1769 and a chapel built in the High Street in 1780.

It was enlarged in 1803 but was replaced in 1817 on the same site.

A Sunday school added in 1838.

This chapel was demolished to make way for a third chapel which was opened, again on the same site, in 1868.

A new kitchen and toilets were added in 1973.

The chapel is still in use with a membership of 59" 

Geoff Swain Collection 28 August 1994

Barrow upon Humber, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Church
Barrow upon Humber, Wesleyan Methodist Sunday School
Barrow upon Humber, Wesleyan Methodist Sunday School
Barrow upon Humber, Wesleyan Methodist Sunday School

Wesleyan Methodist Sunday School with the date stone reading "1838".

"A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Barton-On-Humber Circuit Past And Present” prepared by Colin Shepherdson September 1997 (Revised May 1998) states :- 

"A Society was formed in 1769 and a chapel built in the High Street in 1780.

It was enlarged in 1803 but was replaced in 1817 on the same site.

A Sunday school added in 1838.

This chapel was demolished to make way for a third chapel which was opened, again on the same site, in 1868.

A new kitchen and toilets were added in 1973.

The chapel is still in use with a membership of 59" 

Geoff Swain Collection 28 August 1994

Barrow uon Humber, Wesleyan Methodist Sunday School