The little cottage on the left was a shop for many years. The first owner in the 20th century was Elsam, then Steel (circa 1922) and finally George and Blanche Bates (circa 1938). Mrs.Bates closed the shop with the introduction of VAT.
The building is on High Street, Bassingham, close to the school, the War Memorial, the Church and the Old Rectory (now a Nursing Home.) Being a 'sweet shop' it was a popular place with the children.
In the distance is the blacksmith’s with horses waiting on the road.
This is one of the older parts of the village. When the photograph was taken Martin’s stackyard was on the other side of the road.
Post card, c.1925
Notes from Mrs Helen Ash