Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Baumber
 
Baumber, Brick Kiln
Baumber, Brick Kiln
Baumber, Brick Kiln

Brick kiln at Baumber (TF 195 752), in the south-west corner of the parish.

This kiln type, similar to the scotch kiln but with vaulted brick roof and vents is found occasionally in Lincolnshire (eg, see Farlesthorpe) but seldom elsewhere.

The Baumber kiln was worked from c1870-95, principally by the Hutchinson & Jordan families. It was restored in 1986 for the owner, Mrs Fawcett, by Martin Hammond. 

Ken Redmore, 2006

Baumber, kiln, bricks, scotch,
Baumber, Bronze Age bangle
Baumber, Bronze Age bangle
Baumber, Bronze Age bangle

This solid gold bangle was discovered at Baumber, near Horncastle in 1997.

It is the largest example of its type from Lincolnshire. It was made in the later Bronze Age, between c.900 and c.700BC, and may not actually ever have been completed.

Some hammer marks are still visible, which would undoubtedly have been polished out on a finished item.

The bangle has simple terminals and no other decoration.

Courtesy of Lincolnshire County Council, The Collection

Baumber, Bronze Age, bangle
Baumber, St Swithin
Baumber, St Swithin
Baumber, St Swithin

St Swithin’s is a Georgian red brick building in ‘Gothick’ style, with an interior that incorporates Norman and Early English features from the earlier church.

It was built in 1761 by Henry Clinton (9th Earl of Lincoln and later 2nd Duke of Newcastle) to house the family mausoleum.

October 2011

Baumber, St Swithin, Gothick, Clinton, Earl of Lincoln, Duke of Newcastle
Baumber, St Swithin
Baumber, St Swithin
Baumber, St Swithin

A view of St Swithin from the south-west.

The blank quatrefoils - at both west and east ends of the aisles - are typical of the early Georgian Gothic Revival.

October 2011

Baumber, St Swithin church
Baumber, St Swithin
Baumber, St Swithin
Baumber, St Swithin

The interior of St Swithin showing the retained medieval N and S arcades and the colourful Gothick screen between nave and chancel, a most unusual feature.

May 2013

Baumber, St Swithin, church Gothick
Baumber, St Swithin
Baumber, St Swithin
Baumber, St Swithin

The west doorway of the church is late Norman with one order of colonettes and an arch with zig-zag.

October 2011

Baumber, St Swithin church, Norman doorway
Baumber, St Swithin
Baumber, St Swithin
Baumber, St Swithin

The chancel is divided from the nave by these slender posts and splendid ogee arches.

In Pevsner's words: Their crockets have an unmistakably Georgian featheriness.

May 2013

Baumber, St Swithin church
Baumber, St Swithin
Baumber, St Swithin
Baumber, St Swithin

This view of St Swithin's from the north-east shows the intersecting tracery of the pointed windows of nave and chancel.

The tracery was renewed and cusped by William Scorer of Lincoln in 1892.

May 2013

Baumber, St Swithin church
Baumber, St Swithin
Baumber, St Swithin
Baumber, St Swithin

A richly decorated tester of painted wood in Gothick style was fixed above the pulpit in the Georgian church.

It is now attached to the wall above boards inscribed with the Ten Commandments at the west end of the north aisle.

May 2013

Baumber, St Swithin church, tester, ten commandments
Baumber, St Swithin
Baumber, St Swithin
Baumber, St Swithin
Hatchment for Joeph Livesey, who married 1811 Ann, daughter of George Reade, and died 21 June 1843.  She died 15 October 1877.
Baumber, St Swithin church, Joseph Livesey, Ann Reade, George Reade
Baumber, St Swithin
Baumber, St Swithin
Baumber, St Swithin

This slab carries a dedication to John Eland and his two wives, dated 1463.

He lived in Raithby and was married again after his first wife died.

May 2013

Baumber, St Swithin church, John Eland, monument
Baumber, St Swithin, porch
Baumber, St Swithin, porch
Baumber, St Swithin, porch

The brick porch dates from 1758, i.e. contemporary with the construction of the church.

October 2011

Baumber, St Swithin church, porch
Baumber, Water Tower
Baumber, Water Tower
Baumber, Water Tower

This small water tower on the northern edge of the village close to the church (TF 222746) is now redundant.

The capacity of the cast-iron tank was about 6600 gallons (30 cu.m.).

October 2011

Baumber, water tower