Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Belchford
 
Belchford, Blue Bell, Public House
Belchford, Blue Bell, Public House
Belchford, Blue Bell, Public House

Kelley's Directory of Lincolnshire 1876 lists the Blue Bell whose landlord was John Henry Hopkins.

https://www.bluebellbelchford.co.uk 

DB 3 September 2018

Belchford, Blue Bell, Public House, John Henry Hopkins
Belchford, School
Belchford, School
Belchford, School

Former school now a private house.

"The school was built in 1873 as Belchford Board School by the Belchford School Board, formed in 1871.

It became a Council School in 1903 and a County School in c.1947.

It was a primary school by the 1960s.

The school was closed on 18 December 1981, with the children transferred to schools in Horncastle and Tetford. 

The Belchford School Board Evening Continuation School was administered by the Belchford School Board and held in the premises of the Belchford Board School.

It opened on 12 October 1897 and was discontinued by December 1898 because of non-attendance"

https://www.lincstothepast.com/BELCHFORD-COUNTY-PRIMARY-SCHOOL/886082.record?pt=S 

DB 3 September 2018

Belchford, School
Belchford, Signpost & Cairn
Belchford, Signpost & Cairn
Belchford, Signpost & Cairn

Main Road and Fulletby Road junction.

Reported in the Horncastle News that :- 

"Children from St. Lawrence School, Belchford, built the Cairn in 2009 out of flint and stone found in fields around the village.

Inside the Cairn is a time capsule including the names of the children who helped build it and a piece of iron work"

https://www.horncastlenews.co.uk/news/crime/police-appeal-after-cairn-vandalised-1-4303879 

DB 3 September 2018

Belchford, Signpost, Cairn, Time Capsule
Belchford, Smithy
Belchford, Smithy
Belchford, Smithy

Development site opposite the Blue Bell

Remains of former smithy.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1885 and also the 1919 edition lists George Howard as the village blacksmith.

DB 3 September 2018

Belchford, Smithy, George Howard, blacksmith
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul

The chancel of St Peter and St Paul was rebuilt in 1859.  In 1909, the nave was rebuilt and the unsafe tower was taken down - the stone being used to build a vestry!

The interior has an ornate 19th century altar with reredos.

September 2006

Belchford, St Peter and St Paul church
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul

"Parish church. 1781, chancel mostly rebuilt 1859-60, nave mostly rebuilt and tower reduced in 1909"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1359659 

DB 3 September 2018

Belchford, Church, Saint Peter & Saint Paul
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, Bell
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, Bell
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, Bell

Bell from former church tower.

"Bell dated 1683"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1359659 

DB 9 September 2018 

Belchford,
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, Chancel
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, Chancel
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, Chancel

"Ornate C19 altar and reredos with painted panels depicting Virgin and child and apostles"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1359659 

Church Guide Notes state that the altar was given to the church in 1900 by its then Rector Rev. Richard Hippisley Domenichetti.  

DB 3 September 2018

Belchford, Church, Saint Peter & Saint Paul, chancel, Richard Hippisley Domenichetti
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, Chancel, East Window
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, Chancel, East Window
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, Chancel, East Window

Stained glass in east window.

DB 3 September 2018

Belchford, Church, Saint Peter & Saint Paul, chancel, east window, glass
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, Chancel, Roof
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, Chancel, Roof
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, Chancel, Roof

"C19 roofs, that in chancel with painted decoration"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1359659 

DB 3 September 2018

Belchford, Church, Saint Peter & Saint Paul, chancel, roof
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, Font
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, Font
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, Font

"C15 octagonal font with panel tracery on bowl and pedestal"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1359659 

Church Guide states that the font came from Saint Mary's Church, Horncastle when that church was restored in 1861. 

DB 3 September 2018

Belchford, Church, Saint Peter & Saint Paul, Font
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, Nave
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, Nave
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, Nave

View looking east towards the chancel.

War memorial beneath flag on right. 

C19 chancel arch.

DB 3 September 2018

Belchford, Church, Saint Peter & Saint Paul, Nave
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, Nave
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, Nave
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, Nave

View looking west.

C20 chairs.

DB 3 September 2018

Belchford, Church, Saint Peter & Saint Paul, nave
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, Nave
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, Nave
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, Nave

Nave altar beside the chancel arch. 

Church Guide Notes state that this was previously the main altar but was moved here in 1900 when the present main altar was installed.

DB 3 September 2018

Belchford, Church, Saint Peter & Saint Paul
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, Organ
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, Organ
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, Organ

Organ by

"John Nicholson, Organ Builder, Palace Yard, Worcester" 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholson_%26_Co_Ltd 

http://www.nicholsonorgans.co.uk/ 

DB 3 September 2018

Belchford, Church, Saint Peter & Saint Paul, organ, John Nicholson
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, Pulpit & Lectern
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, Pulpit & Lectern
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, Pulpit & Lectern

"C19 pulpit of 2 panelled sides, one containing relief of Magi with Virgin and child"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1359659 

Church Guide states that the pulpit came from the private chapel of Lord Brougham who was a relative of the then Rector Rev. Richard Hippisley Domenichetti. 

DB 3 September 2018

Belchford, Church, Saint Peter & Saint Paul, Pulpit, Lectern
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, War Memorial
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, War Memorial
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, War Memorial

First World War memorial.

DB 3 September 2018

Belchford, Church, Saint Peter & Saint Paul
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, War Memorial
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, War Memorial
Belchford, St Peter & St Paul, War Memorial

Second World War memorial.

HMS Tigris was a T-class submarine :-

"Tigris left Malta on 18 February 1943 to patrol off Naples.

She was last sighted at 0730 on 24 February, 39 miles (63 km) from Capri.

On the morning of 27 February, the German submarine chaser Uj-2210 , escorting a convoy six miles southeast of Capri, made contact with a submarine and carried out three depth charge attacks, the third attack brought oil to the surface and the contact was noted to be stationary.

A fourth attack of fifteen depth charges brought a huge bubble of air up.

On 6 March, Tigris was ordered to Algiers but there was no reply to this signal.

She failed to return to Algiers on 10 March 1943 and was declared overdue on that date"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Tigris_(N63) 

DB 3 September 2018

Belchford, Church, Saint Peter & Saint Paul, HMS Tigris
Belchford, Village Green
Belchford, Village Green
Belchford, Village Green

Circular bench celebrating "Belchford Ahead" community group.

DB 3 September 2018

Belchford, Village Green, Belchford Ahead
Belchford, Village Sign
Belchford, Village Sign
Belchford, Village Sign

Hunting scene is a reference to The South Wold Hunt founded 1822.

https://www.southwoldhunt.co.uk 

Kelley's Directory of Lincolnshire 1876 mentions the South Wold Subscription Hounds - Crowder, huntsman; Edward Bartlett, head whipper-in.

DB 3 September 2018

Belchford, village sign, South Wold Hunt
Belchford, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Chapel Lane
Belchford, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Chapel Lane
Belchford, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Chapel Lane

Former Methodist Chapel now a private house.

Inscription states the chapel was erected in 1871.

DB 3 September 2018

Belchford, Wesleyan, Methodist, Chapel