Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Belton (Axholme)
 
Belton (Axholme) All Saints
Belton (Axholme) All Saints
Belton (Axholme) All Saints

All Saints Belton largely dates from the 14th and 15th centuries though the arcades re-use 13th century arches.

The interior is grand and spacious with a lofty nave and clerestory.

There are slender pillars to the N and S arcades, and a window over the churches chancel arch.

Ken Redmore, 2010
Belton Axholme, church, 14th century, 15th century,
Belton (Axholme), All Saints
Belton (Axholme), All Saints
Belton (Axholme), All Saints

All Saints Belton largely dates from the 14th and 15th centuries though the arcades re-use 13th century arches.

The interior is grand and spacious with a lofty nave and clerestory.

There are slender pillars to the N and S arcades, and a window over the church's chancel arch.

Ken Redmore, 2010
Belton Axholme, church, 14th century, 15th century,
Belton (Axholme), All Saints
Belton (Axholme), All Saints
Belton (Axholme), All Saints

All Saints Belton is ashlar faced and built largely in perpendicular style.

The tower is disproportionately short.

August 2015
Belton Axholme, All Saints
Belton (Axholme), All Saints, porch
Belton (Axholme), All Saints, porch
Belton (Axholme), All Saints, porch

The porch on the south side of All Saints' church is flanked by angel busts.

August 2015

Belton Axholme, All Saints, porch
Belton (Axholme), All Saints, window
Belton (Axholme), All Saints, window
Belton (Axholme), All Saints, window

This window, one of two identical ones in the south aisle, is in typical perpendicular style.

August 2015

Belton Axholme, All Saints church, window
Belton (Axholme), Dirtness Pumping Station
Belton (Axholme), Dirtness Pumping Station
Belton (Axholme), Dirtness Pumping Station

Dirtness Pumping Station (SE 749098) was built in 1867 in polychrome brick on the North Engine Drain between the parishes of Crowle and Belton on the Isle of Axholme.

It housed two 50hp Watt engines driving a 33ft (10.1m) diameter scoop wheel which was capable of lifting 1200 tonnes of water per hour.

It is still in use with electric pumps.

Chris Lester, 2003
Belton Axholme, drainage, pumping,
Belton (Axholme), Methodist Chapel
Belton (Axholme), Methodist Chapel
Belton (Axholme), Methodist Chapel
September 2010
Belton Axholme, Methodist Chapel
Temple Belwood
Temple Belwood
Temple Belwood

Temple Belwood, on the eastern edge of Belton (Isle of Axholme), took its name from its original owners, the Knights Templar.

William Johnson replaced an Elizabethan house with a new building (shown here) in 1787.  The architect was Samuel Foster.

It was developed as a boarding house by new owners in 1900 and later as a school.

The walled kitchen garden is the principal survivor of this substantial house.

More details about this house and its owners can be found in T R Leach and R Pacey's book, 'Lost Lincolnshire Country Houses: Volume 1', published by SLHA.  Buy a copy.

Belton Axholme, Temple Belwood, Knights Templar, William Johnson, Samuel Foster
Temple Belwood, Gas Plant
Temple Belwood, Gas Plant
Temple Belwood, Gas Plant

In 1877 J Wooler & Co of Laisterwick Foundry, Bradford, erected a small plant for generating coal gas at this country house.

This plan was submitted along with a detailed quotation for £254.


 

Belton Axholme, gas, Temple Belwood, Wooler, Laisterwick Foundry