Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Billinghay
 
Billinghay, Bronze Age sword
Billinghay, Bronze Age sword
Billinghay, Bronze Age sword

The beautiful, sinuous lines of a Bronze Age sword are unmistakable.

Although fragments of Bronze Age swords are not uncommon, complete swords are still rare finds.

This sword, from Billinghay, was found in 1852.

It belongs to a series of swords known as the 'Ewart Park' type, dating to the late Bronze Age, c.950-800BC.

Courtesy of Lincolnshire County Council, The Collection

Billinghay, Bronze Age sword, Ewart Park
Billinghay, Field Mill (1)
Billinghay, Field Mill (1)
Billinghay, Field Mill (1)

This six-floored mill on Walcot Road had six sails, although, as was commonly the case, it ran with four sails when sails were under maintenance or repair.

Jon Sass Collection, photograph c.1928

Billinghay, Field Mill, windmill, Jon Sass
Billinghay, Field Mill (2)
Billinghay, Field Mill (2)
Billinghay, Field Mill (2)

The sails and fan on Field Mill were removed in 1938 following a lightning strike and the empty tower was reduced in height in the 1960s.

Location of mill: TF 143 551

Peter Kirk Collection, 1999
Billinghay, West Mill, Walcot Road
Billinghay, New Bridge
Billinghay, New Bridge
Billinghay, New Bridge

Billinghay is a large village in the Witham fen between Lincoln, Horncastle, Sleaford and Boston. The Roman Car Dyke passes through the parish.

The major land drain in the area, the Billinghay Skirth, runs to the east of the village and up to the Witham near Tattershall Bridge.

The New Bridge crosses this drain to give access from the village to the A153, the former Horncastle to Sleaford turnpike road.

The tall chimney in the centre background is thought to be at the Billinghay North and Walcot Dales Pumping Station (TF 177559). The pump was operated by steam engine from 1864 to 1940.

undated postcard (by B. Smith of Heckington)

Billinghay, Billinghay Skirth, New Bridge, Car Dyke, B Smith of Heckington, Walcot Dales pumping sta
Billinghay, South Mill (1)
Billinghay, South Mill (1)
Billinghay, South Mill (1)

South Mill was built in about 1806 on the site of an earlier post mill in Victoria Street.

It was raised by two storeys in 1830 after the top had been wrecked in a storm.

Jon Sass Collection, undated photograph

Billinghay, South Mill, Victoria Street, Jon Sass
Billinghay, South Mill (2)
Billinghay, South Mill (2)
Billinghay, South Mill (2)

This is the surviving stump of a seven-storey four-sailed mill built on Victoria Street. It last worked in the 1930s.

Location of mill: TF 153 551

Peter Kirk Collection, 1999


Billinghay, South's Mill
Billinghay, South’s Mill (3)
Billinghay, South’s Mill (3)
Billinghay, South’s Mill (3)

Built in about 1830 on the site of an earlier post mill in Victoria Street. There remains only a small part of the brick tower.

Painting by Karl Wood, 1932

Billinghay, South's Mill, Karl Wood
Billinghay, St Michael
Billinghay, St Michael
Billinghay, St Michael

The Early English west tower of St Michael's church, Billinghay.

The broach spire with flying buttresses was added in 1787.

August 2012

Billinghay, St Michael, broach spire
Billinghay, St Michael
Billinghay, St Michael
Billinghay, St Michael

St Michael’s Billinghay has an Early English west tower, with a broach spire with flying buttresses added in 1787.

Much of the church is Early English and Decorated, with a Perpendicular clerestory to the nave.

August 2012

Billinghay, St Michael church
Billinghay, Street Scene
Billinghay, Street Scene
Billinghay, Street Scene

The windmill is South’s or Black Mill.

It worked until just before the Second World War. Only the derelict bottom two storeys remain.

undated postcard

Billinghay, windmill,