Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Bracebridge Heath
 
Bracebridge Heath, Aircraft Hangars
Bracebridge Heath, Aircraft Hangars
Bracebridge Heath, Aircraft Hangars

The Belfast Truss roof was a novel form of construction that used laminated wooden lattice-braced roof trusses to provide a large clear span which was (27 m here) to accommodate aircraft.

This site was originally the aerodrome of Robey & Co Ltd but it became No 4 Aircraft Acceptance Park.

In WWII AV Roe repaired damaged Lancaster bombers here and latterly it was used as a road haulage depot.

The hangars, which dated to 1916, were demolished in 2001.
 

Chris Lester, 2000

 

Bracebridge Heath, Belfast, Robey, aircraft, hangar, Roe,
Bracebridge Heath, Asylum
Bracebridge Heath, Asylum
Bracebridge Heath, Asylum

The hospital at Bracebridge Heath opened as the County Pauper Lunatic Asylum in 1852.

Designed in Italienate style, the huge complex of buildings could accommodate 250 patients, and was set in extensive grounds, which included gardens, a cemetery and a 30 acre farm worked by the inmates.

St Johnís Hospital, as it was finally known, remained in use until 1989.  Seen here is the central block, which after standing empty for many years may yet be converted to apartments.

Postcard, 1904

Bracebridge Heath, lunatic asylum, St John Hospital
Bracebridge Heath, Water Tower
Bracebridge Heath, Water Tower
Bracebridge Heath, Water Tower

St Johnís Hospital was built as the County Pauper Lunatic Asylum in 1852.  It was in effect a large self-contained community.

The water tower of 1924-25 is built of reinforced concrete and is 38m (125ft) high.

September 2013

Bracebridge Heath, water tower, asylum