Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Brant Broughton
 
Brant Broughton, Forge, High Street
Brant Broughton, Forge, High Street
Brant Broughton, Forge, High Street

Former forge now the village shop. 

Shop website has a sepia photograph of the forge taken in 1906 :-

http://www.theoldforgevillageshop.co.uk/ 

Shown as a smithy on 25 inch Ordnance Survey map published 1887.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1061896 

DB 2 July 2018

Brant Broughton, Forge, Smithy
Brant Broughton, Church of England School
Brant Broughton, Church of England School
Brant Broughton, Church of England School

"Formerly School and Schoolmasters house. 1871"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1147635 

Now a private house. 

DB 2 July 2018

Brant Broughton, Church of England School
Brant Broughton, Friends Meeting House
Brant Broughton, Friends Meeting House
Brant Broughton, Friends Meeting House

"The Friends Meeting House is thought to have originally been a barn, which was acquired in 1673 and converted into a meeting house in 1701, when it was encased in stone"

"The building was donated to the Society of Friends in 1701 by Thomas Robinson, a prominent Quaker who moved to Brant Broughton from London in 1665"

https://www.lincstothepast.com/Friends-Meeting-House--Meeting-House-Lane--Brant-Broughton/242481.record?pt=S 

DB 2 July 2018

Brant Broughton, Friends Meeting House, Thomas Robinson, Quaker
Brant Broughton, Generous Britain
Brant Broughton, Generous Britain
Brant Broughton, Generous Britain

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1876 lists two public houses in Brant Broughton. The Generous Britain and Red Lion which was further along High Street to the south.

DB 2 July 2018

Brant Broughton, Generous Britain, Public House
Brant Broughton, St Helen
Brant Broughton, St Helen
Brant Broughton, St Helen

‘Without doubt, one of the best of all Lincolnshire churches’ (Henry Thorold)

Mainly 14th century, the church is remarkable for its elegant spire and its many fine carvings.

The beautiful chancel, with its painted ceiling and lavish furnishings, date from Bodley’s rebuilding in the late 19th century.

Frank Robinson, September 2014

Brant Broughton, St Helen church, G F Bodley, Henry Thorold
Brant Broughton, St Helen
Brant Broughton, St Helen
Brant Broughton, St Helen

"The spire although reduced in height in 1897 is 198 feet (60 m) high.

Parts of the church date back to about 1290 though most dates back to about the late 14th century"

"It was heavily restored by the Rector, Canon Frederick Heathcote Sutton and the architect George Frederick Bodley between 1874 and 1876"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Helen%27s_Church,_Brant_Broughton 

DB 2 July 2018

Brant Broughton, Saint Helen, Church, Canon Frederick Heathcote Sutton, George Frederick Bodley
Brant Broughton, St Helen
Brant Broughton, St Helen
Brant Broughton, St Helen

Interior view looking east.

Note the elaborate font cover, on the right hand side of the image, by T Garner 1889.

Excellent guide available :-

http://sthelensbrantbroughton.org.uk/a-short-guide/ 

DB 2 July 2018

Brant Broughton, Saint helen, Church
Brant Broughton, St Helen, Chancel Vault
Brant Broughton, St Helen, Chancel Vault
Brant Broughton, St Helen, Chancel Vault

"Chancel has wood and plaster lierne vault, also elaborately painted"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1147497

DB 2 July 2018

Brant Broughton, Saint Helen, Church, Chancel lierne vault
Brant Broughton, St Helen, Font
Brant Broughton, St Helen, Font
Brant Broughton, St Helen, Font

"Ornate C15 octagonal font"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1147497 

DB 2 July 2018

Brant Broughton, Saint Helen, Church, Font
Brant Broughton, St Helen, Nave Roof
Brant Broughton, St Helen, Nave Roof
Brant Broughton, St Helen, Nave Roof

"Carefully restored early C16 angel nave roof, elaborately painted"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1147497

DB 2 July 2018

Brant Broughton, Saint Helen, Church, Nave Roof, Angel
Brant Broughton, St Helen, Pulpit
Brant Broughton, St Helen, Pulpit
Brant Broughton, St Helen, Pulpit
Brant Broughton, Saint Helen, Church, Pulpit, Bodley
Brant Broughton, St Helen, Sanctuary
Brant Broughton, St Helen, Sanctuary
Brant Broughton, St Helen, Sanctuary

 

DB 2 July 2018

Brant Broughton, Saint Helen, Church,
Brant Broughton, St Helen, Sundial
Brant Broughton, St Helen, Sundial
Brant Broughton, St Helen, Sundial

On the south side of the church are two sundials of uncertain date, one in the angle of the buttresses at the south-east corner of the nave and the other between the south-east buttresses on the wall of the tower.

Mark Acton, 2008

Brant Broughton, St Helen, Sundial
Brant Broughton, St Helen, War Memorial
Brant Broughton, St Helen, War Memorial
Brant Broughton, St Helen, War Memorial

A wall tablet in the church states that the churchyard cross was restored as a memorial to those killed in World War 1.

DB 2 July 2018

Brant Broughton, Saint Helen, Church, churchyard cross, war memorial
Brant Broughton, St Helen, War Memorial
Brant Broughton, St Helen, War Memorial
Brant Broughton, St Helen, War Memorial

Wall tablet near the modern war memorial.

DB 2 July 2018

Brant Broughton, Saint Helen, Church, War Memorial
Brant Broughton, St Helen, War Memorial
Brant Broughton, St Helen, War Memorial
Brant Broughton, St Helen, War Memorial

"modern war memorial in honour of the men of Brant Broughton and Stragglethorpe who lost their lives in the two World Wars. The work of Robert Kiddey, it was installed in 1950"

http://sthelensbrantbroughton.org.uk/a-short-guide/ 

DB 2 July 2018

Brant Broughton, Saint Helen, Church, War memorial, Robert Kiddey
Brant Broughton, Village Sign, High Street
Brant Broughton, Village Sign, High Street
Brant Broughton, Village Sign, High Street

Sign dated 2000.

DB 2 July 2018

Brant Broughton, Millenium Village Sign
Brant Broughton, Vulcan ring
Brant Broughton, Vulcan ring
Brant Broughton, Vulcan ring

This silver ring with a gold intaglio was discovered at Brant Broughton.

The intaglio shows the Roman god Vulcan, the god of fire, smithing and manufacture.

He is shown standing, wearing a tunic across one shoulder, with a long pair of tongs in his left hand and a hammer in his right, which he holds over an anvil.

This image is recognised on a growing number of ring intaglios in Lincolnshire, many of which appear to have been made in the same workshop, such is the consistency of their imagery.

It is possible that these rings represented good fortune for metalworkers, and were worn as apotropaic symbols, warding off accidents.

Finds from shrine sites, however, also suggest that they were placed in the ground as offerings, possibly even at places where metal ores were mined.

The deposition of such a ring might invoke Vulcan to ensure that the source of the ore continued to produce its valuable product.

Courtesy of Lincolnshire County Council, The Collection

Brant Broughton, Roman Vulcan ring, gold intaglio
Brant Broughton, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Mill Lane
Brant Broughton, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Mill Lane
Brant Broughton, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Mill Lane

"The first chapel was built in 1812 or 1815 and was replaced by newer buildings in 1832 and again in 1858.

The large school was erected in 1852"

"The chapel closed in 2003 and the former chapel and school room have been converted to four residential units" 

https://www.lincstothepast.com/Wesleyan-chapel--Mill-Lane--Brant-Broughton/242488.record?pt=S 

DB 2 July 2018

Brant Broughton, Wesleyan chapel, Mill Lane
Brant Broughton, Wesleyan Reform Chapel, Maltkiln Lane
Brant Broughton, Wesleyan Reform Chapel, Maltkiln Lane
Brant Broughton, Wesleyan Reform Chapel, Maltkiln Lane

"The chapel was built in 1862. 

It is part of the Sleaford Wesleyan Reform Union Circuit.

The Wesleyan Reform Union has remained independent of the denominational unions of 1857, 1907 and 1932"

https://www.lincstothepast.com/Brant-Broughton--Maltkiln-Lane-Chapel--Wesleyan-Reform-Union-/581833.record?pt=S 

DB 2 July 2018

Brant Broughton, Wesleyan Reform Chapel