Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Brigg
 
Brigg, Angel Hotel
Brigg, Angel Hotel
Brigg, Angel Hotel

The Angel Hotel stands on the south side of the Market Place.

The enclosed courtyard to the east of the hotel was once the passage giving access to stables in the yard at the rear.

postcard by Kinsway, 1933

Brigg, Angel Hotel, Kinsway
Brigg, Bigby Street
Brigg, Bigby Street
Brigg, Bigby Street

An early view along Bigby Street, looking east towards the parish church and Methodist Church.

postcard in Wrench Series published by Jackson & Sons of Brigg, undated

Brigg, Bigby Street, Wrench Series, Jackson & Sons
Brigg, Cadney Road
Brigg, Cadney Road
Brigg, Cadney Road

Cadney Road is the extension of Elwes Street running south from the centre of the town along the east bank of the Old River Ancholme.

In the distance is the bridge carrying the MSLR line of 1848/49 running from Sheffield to Cleethorpes. Brigg station is a short distance to the east (left).

postcard by Valentine, 1910

Brigg, Cadney Road. MSLR railway
Brigg, St John Evangelist
Brigg, St John Evangelist
Brigg, St John Evangelist

The tall tower of St Johnís rises above the surrounding buildings at the churchís south-east corner.

February 2015

Brigg, St John Evangelist church
Brigg, St John Evangelist
Brigg, St John Evangelist
Brigg, St John Evangelist

At first glance the church appears to be built in yellow-grey brick but the material is in fact small stones of irregular length laid in regular narrow courses.

February 2015

Brigg, St John Evangelist church
Brigg, St John Evangelist
Brigg, St John Evangelist
Brigg, St John Evangelist

St Johnís is Early English in style and has pairs of lancet windows all along the high nave.

Designed by the Lincoln architect W A Nicholson and built in 1841-3.

February 2015

Brigg, St John Evangelist church, W A Nicholson
Brigg, St John Evangelist
Brigg, St John Evangelist
Brigg, St John Evangelist

View of the church from the north showing the entrance from the High Street.

July 2016

Brigg, St John Evangelist
Brigg, St John Evangelist and Methodist Church
Brigg, St John Evangelist and Methodist Church
Brigg, St John Evangelist and Methodist Church

This view looking east along Bigby Street shows the parish church of St John Evangelist with the post-war church hall in front.

Nearer the camera is the imposing facade of the Methodist Church of 1865. It was built for the Wesleyan Reform Union*, closed for worship in 1962 and demilished in 1966.

* The Wesleyan Reform Union, one of several splinter groups in Methodism, was formed in 1859. Churches were independent and self-governing; they did not join in unions of other branches of the Methodist Church. However, the Brigg WRU chapel became a member of the United Methodist connexion at some date in the second half of the 19th century.

Frith postcard, undated

Brigg, St John Evangelist, Wesleyan Reform Union
Brigg, Sugar Beet Factory
Brigg, Sugar Beet Factory
Brigg, Sugar Beet Factory

The sugar beet factory at Brigg, one of 18 run by the British Sugar Corporation, opened in 1928 and closed in 1991.

It was sited close to the New River Ancholme and the Sheffield-Cleethorpes railway about a mile south-west of the town.

A gas-powered station, now operated by Centrica, was built on an adjacent site in 1993.

postcard by Tuck, undated

Brigg, sugar beet factory, British Sugar Corporation, Centrica