Broughton, Roman Mercury statuette
This copper alloy statuette of the god Mercury was discovered at Broughton Common in 1889.
Although missing its hands and feet, the wings on the hat and the chlamys draped over his shoulder clearly identify the god. It is likely that his right hand originally held a money bag.
Mercury was the most popular Classical deity in Roman Gaul and Britain.
He was a patron of merchants and protector of travellers.
Courtesy of Lincolnshire County Council, The Collection
Broughton, Roman Mercury, statuette, chlamys