Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Burton (by Lincoln)
 
Burton by Lincoln, Burton Hall
Burton by Lincoln, Burton Hall
Burton by Lincoln, Burton Hall

Burton Hall was built by James Paine in 1768 on the site of an earlier Tudor mansion.

This view looks west showing the north extension of the Hall built in 1808 by Thomas Cundy.

 T R Leach Collection, undated

Burton By Lincoln, Burton Hall, Thomas Cundy
Burton by Lincoln, Burton Hall
Burton by Lincoln, Burton Hall
Burton by Lincoln, Burton Hall

The principal elevation of the Hall faces south and was built by James Paine in 1768. It was built on the site of an earlier Tudor mansion.

The Monson family occupied the Hall for over 300 years.

T R Leach Collection, undated

Burton By Lincoln, Burton Hall, Monson, James Paine
Burton by Lincoln, Essex House
Burton by Lincoln, Essex House
Burton by Lincoln, Essex House

A house dating from the mid-seventeenth century.

Pearl Wheatley, 2011

Burton By Lincoln, Essex House
Burton by Lincoln, Georgian House
Burton by Lincoln, Georgian House
Burton by Lincoln, Georgian House

The Georgian House in Burton was built in the late 1700s.

Pearl Wheatley, 2011

Burton By Lincoln, Georgian House
Burton by Lincoln, Georgian House, Fanlight
Burton by Lincoln, Georgian House, Fanlight
Burton by Lincoln, Georgian House, Fanlight

A nicely designed fanlight – an original feature – over the entrance door of The Georgian House.

Pearl Wheatley, 2011

Burton By Lincoln, Georgian House, fanlight
Burton by Lincoln, Old Smithy Cottage
Burton by Lincoln, Old Smithy Cottage
Burton by Lincoln, Old Smithy Cottage

Like virtually every village, Burton had a smithy. This building dates from the early nineteenth century.

Pearl Wheatley, 2011

Burton By Lincoln, Old Smithy Cottage
Burton by Lincoln, St Vincent
Burton by Lincoln, St Vincent
Burton by Lincoln, St Vincent

The tower of St Vincent’s was built in 1678, but reused a 12th century doorway.   Much of the rest of the church dates from 1795.

The west gallery has a fireplace, installed for the comfort of the 6th Baron Monson!

Burton By Lincoln, St Vincent church, Baron Monson, west gallery
Burton by Lincoln, St Vincent
Burton by Lincoln, St Vincent
Burton by Lincoln, St Vincent

Notes to follow

Burton By Lincoln, St Vincent church
Burton by Lincoln, St Vincent
Burton by Lincoln, St Vincent
Burton by Lincoln, St Vincent

Notes to follow

Burton By Lincoln, St Vincent
Burton by Lincoln, St Vincent, Hatchment
Burton by Lincoln, St Vincent, Hatchment
Burton by Lincoln, St Vincent, Hatchment

Hatchment for William John, 6th Lord Monson, who married 1828 Eliza Daughter of Edmund Larken of Bedford Square, and died 17 December 1862.

Burton By Lincoln, St Vincent, hatchment
Burton by Lincoln, St Vincent, Hatchment
Burton by Lincoln, St Vincent, Hatchment
Burton by Lincoln, St Vincent, Hatchment

Hatchment for Eliza, widow of William John, 6th Baron Monson, died 22 January 1863.

Burton By Lincoln, St Vincent, hatchment, Eliza Monson William John
Burton by Lincoln, St Vincent, stained glass
Burton by Lincoln, St Vincent, stained glass
Burton by Lincoln, St Vincent, stained glass

A three-light window in the south wall of the nave. The three saints depicted in the stanined glass are SS Guthlac, Paulinus and Gilbert - all with Lincolnshire associations.

The inscription reads 'The gift of Betsey Ann Evens in memory of her mother Ann Evens A.D.1928'

May 2011

Burton By Lincoln, St Vincent, window, Betsey Ann Evans, Ann Evens
Burton by Lincoln, St Vincent, stained glass
Burton by Lincoln, St Vincent, stained glass
Burton by Lincoln, St Vincent, stained glass

A three-light window in the south wall of the nave. The three figures depicted in the stained glass are Bishop Grosseteste, St Hugh and Bishop King, all notable Bishops of Lincoln.

The inscription reads 'The gift of Betsey Ann Evens in memory of her father John Evens A.D.1928'

May 2011


Burton By Lincoln, St Vincent, window, John Evens, Betsey Ann Evens
Burton by Lincoln, The Granary
Burton by Lincoln, The Granary
Burton by Lincoln, The Granary

The house known as the granary was built in the late eighteenth century.

Pearl Wheatley, 2011

Burton By Lincoln, The Granary
Burton by Lincoln, well
Burton by Lincoln, well
Burton by Lincoln, well

The recently restored well head in the main street of Burton by Lincoln is a late 19th century structure.

The plaque bears the inscription: "1867 Presented by the Monson Estate for water supply for the village”.

There is a second such water supply further up the hill in the village.

Pearl Wheatley, 2011


Burton By Lincoln, well, monson,