Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Cadney
 
Cadney, All Saints
Cadney, All Saints
Cadney, All Saints

The tower of All Saintsí, built of ironstone, is 13th century (in its lower stages) as is the chancel.

The tower has a lancet window on the west side and twin bell openings.

February 2015

Cadney, All Saints church
Cadney, All Saints
Cadney, All Saints
Cadney, All Saints

The chancel with its lancet windows is Early English work of the 13th century.

The 14th century south aisle was partly rebuilt by Sir Charles Nicholson in his 1912 restoration.

The east window (not seen here) dates from the 1912 restoration.

February 2015

Cadney, All Saints church, Sir Charles Nicholson
Cadney, All Saints
Cadney, All Saints
Cadney, All Saints

The 15th century porch of All Saints' church has an unusual timber entrance.

February 2015

Cadney, All Saints church, porch
Cadney, All Saints
Cadney, All Saints
Cadney, All Saints

This stoup (for holding holy water) is within the porch and to the right of the entrance door.

February 2015

Cadney, All Saints church, stoup
Cadney, All Saints
Cadney, All Saints
Cadney, All Saints

Cadney church has three fine 15th century oak screens. It has been suggested that they came from Newstead Priory which was situated about a mile away.

February 2015

Cadney, All Saints church, Newstead Priory, screen
Cadney, All Saints
Cadney, All Saints
Cadney, All Saints

Text of information board in the church reads:

'The large screen was halved to fit between the pillars, and the statues that were on the top were taken down.

These statues were placed behind the altar but were removed when the church was refurbished in the 17rth century.

The screen contains various carvings of birds, shells and weights of plummets.

Local legend states that there is a secret tunnel from the church to the priory.'

February 2015

Cadney, All Saints church, screen, Newstead Priory
Cadney, All Saints, capital
Cadney, All Saints, capital
Cadney, All Saints, capital

The Norman south arcade has three bays. The round piers have capitals with stylised flat leaves.

February 2015

Cadney, All Saints church, capitals