Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Caistor
 
Caistor, Brocklesby Hunt Meet
Caistor, Brocklesby Hunt Meet
Caistor, Brocklesby Hunt Meet

The Brocklesby hounds are the oldest private pack of foxhounds in the country. The Hunt dates from around 1700 with complete records of hound breeding from 1746.

The location for this meet is Caistor Market Place.

undated postcard

Caistor, Market Place, Brocklesby Hunt
Caistor, C of E School
Caistor, C of E School
Caistor, C of E School

The National School (1824) in Church Street was replaced in 1859 by new buildings on South Dale.

The Church of England School of 1859 became part of a joint Methodist/CE Controlled primary school in 1967, when a much larger school building was provided close by. It is now a private dwelling.  

(Does the decorative use of brick on this chimney in the form of the Star of David have any significance?)

The 1859 memorial stone is a tribute to James Green Dixon, a corn, coal and seed merchant in the town and member of the well-to-do landowning Dixon family of Holton le Moor.

Ken Redmore, 2010

Caistor, school, england, methodist,
Caistor, C of E School
Caistor, C of E School
Caistor, C of E School

The 1859 memorial stone is a tribute to James Green Dixon, a corn, coal and seed merchant in the town and member of the well-to-do landowning Dixon family of Holton le Moor.

Ken Redmore, 2010

Caistor, school, dixon, merchant,
Caistor, Canal, Mill Lock
Caistor, Canal, Mill Lock
Caistor, Canal, Mill Lock

Caistor Canal was intended to link the town to the New River Ancholme seven miles to the west.

Work commenced in 1795 and proceded through South Kelsey to Moortown where the canal terminated, three miles short of Caistor.

Coal and grain merchants set up business in Moortown and a large brick warehouse, now converted into a dwelling, can still be seen.

There were six locks on the canal, five of which survive to support fixed sluices in a drainage channel.

The canal, which is entirely in South Kelsey parish, closed as a navigation in about 1880.

Details of the locks and other structures are found here.

Caistor Canal,
Caistor, Fonaby, The Stone Sack
Caistor, Fonaby, The Stone Sack
Caistor, Fonaby, The Stone Sack

This odd shaped stone once stood in a field near Fonaby Top Farm, Caistor (about 1 mile north of the town).

The tale goes as follows: One day, St Paulinus was riding by, when he spied a farmer sowing corn, and requested grain from the nearby sack to feed his ass. The grudging farmer replied  ‘That’s not a sack –it’s a stone’.   ‘Then stone it shall be’ said the saint.  And so it was.

The stone is said to be broken up now, and lying under a nearby field hedge.

See: www.themodernantiquarian.com

Undated postcard

Caistor, Fonaby Top Farm, Stone sack, St Paulinus
Caistor, Independent Chapel
Caistor, Independent Chapel
Caistor, Independent Chapel

This building, now the library of Caistor Grammar School, was originally a Congregational Church erected in 1842.

Distinctive features include yellow brick, Doric pilasters and tapered window and door surrounds.

The town's non-conformist graveyard lies behind.

Ken Redmore, 2010

Caistor, church, congregational, Caistor Grammar School
Caistor, Independent Chapel
Caistor, Independent Chapel
Caistor, Independent Chapel
Drawing by Rex Russell (1916-2014) of the Congregational or Independent Chapel in Caistor.
Caistor, Independent Chapel, Rex Russell
Caistor, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Caistor, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Caistor, Primitive Methodist Chapel

This Primitive Methodist chapel was opened in 1868 and a Sunday School added two years later.

The last service was held in 1966 and it was then acquired by the County Council and used as a youth club.

As Caistor Heritage Centre it now houses the town’s library and a popular café.

Drawing by Rex Russell (1916-2104)


Caistor, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Caistor, St Peter and St Paul
Caistor, St Peter and St Paul
Caistor, St Peter and St Paul

An ancient church, St Peter and St Paul has traces of 11th century work and a largely 12th century tower.

The nave has lofty 13th century arcades and a Perpendicular clerestory.

Rebuilt in 1848, the chancel owes its Victorian stained glass and fittings to later restoration by Butterfield.

June 2008

Caistor, St Peter and St Paul, Church, Butterfield
Caistor, St Peter and St Paul
Caistor, St Peter and St Paul
Caistor, St Peter and St Paul

View of St Peter and St Paul at Caistor from the north-east approach path.

June 2008

Caistor, St Peter and St Paul
Caistor, St Peter&nbspand St Paul
Caistor, St Peter and St Paul
Caistor, St Peter and St Paul

Doorway in west tower.

June 2008

Caistor, St Peter and St Paul church
Caistor, Tower House Lane
Caistor, Tower House Lane
Caistor, Tower House Lane

Tower House Lane - later Back Lane, now Mill Lane -  joins Grimsby Road at the north-east edge of the town centre.

postcard, 1905

Caistor, Tower House Lane
Caistor, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Caistor, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Caistor, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

The large Wesleyan Methodist Church in Caistor dates from 1842.

Alongside to the left is the former Methodist Primary School (1867-1967).

Ken Redmore, 2010
Caistor, church, methodist, wesleyan,
Caistor, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Caistor, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Caistor, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Designed by Mr Mason of Brigg and opened in 1842 for the Wesleyan Methodists, this large chapel is Grade II listed. It was later remodelled and extended.

Drawing by Rex Russell (1916-2014)


Caistor, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Mason
Caistor, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Caistor, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Caistor, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Early twentieth century view of the chapel from the south.

postcard from Omberette Series of Hull, undated

Caistor, Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Omberette