Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Claxby (East Lindsey)
 
Claxby by Alford, St Andrew
Claxby by Alford, St Andrew
Claxby by Alford, St Andrew

This small church of 1846 is built of local pale yellow brick with ashlar dressings and consists of chancel, nave, vestry and western bell-cote.

Declared redundant in 1990, and currently used by a taxidermist!

September 2015

Claxby-East-Lindsey, St Andrew
Claxby by Alford, St Andrew
Claxby by Alford, St Andrew
Claxby by Alford, St Andrew

Unusually, the building has a Norman style, with round headed windows to nave and chancel all with chevron moulding.

The bricks are laid in English Garden bond (three rows of stretchers), an uncommon arrangement for brick-built churches.

September 2015

Claxby-East-Lindsey, St Andrew church
Claxby by Alford, St Andrew
Claxby by Alford, St Andrew
Claxby by Alford, St Andrew

The west doorway and windows are all in Norman style with a gabled bell-cote above, supported on decorative corbals, flanked by colonnettes and with cable moulding round the arch.

September 2015

Claxby-East-Lindsey, St Andrew church
Claxby by Alford, St Andrew
Claxby by Alford, St Andrew
Claxby by Alford, St Andrew

This grotesque placed as a label stop to the left of the west doorway is probably the only surviving external fragment of the medieval church which occupied this site.

September 2015

Claxby-East-Lindsey, St Andrew church, grotesque
Claxby by Alford, St Andrew
Claxby by Alford, St Andrew
Claxby by Alford, St Andrew

The west doorway has two pairs of colonettes with scalloped capitals, and chevron moulding round the arches.

September 2015

Claxby-East-Lindsey, St Andrew church, doorway