Coleby All Saints’ has a Saxon and Norman tower with a crocketed Perpendicular spire.
The interior has Norman and Early English arcades and an Early English chancel.
The south doorway and the font are fine examples of Norman work.
"Parish church. C11, C13, C14, C15 and C19"
War memorial in the foreground.
DB 9 May 2018
The drum shaped font is late Norman C11.
Metal basin dates from 1819 and was bought for 6s 6d.
Font cover is modern 2009.
DB 9 May 2018
"1801-1816 Arms of King George III of the United Kingdom.
Quarterly of 4: 1st & 4th: Plantagenet (England); 2nd: Stuart (Scotland); 3rd: Ireland overall an inescutcheon of the Elector of Hanover"
"TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND TO THE DEAR MEMORY OF THE MEN OF COLEBY WHO DIED FOR FREEDOM AND HONOUR IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1919"
Dedicated 8th May 1920.
Coleby Hall was built for Sir William Lister in 1628 and was enlarged by Thomas Scrope in the following century.
Early 20th century photograph
More details about this house and its owners can be found in T R Leach's book, 'Lincolnshire Country Houses and their Families: Part 2', published by SLHA. Buy a copy.
"The Bell Inn was also first opened as a beershop around the middle of the 19th century and occupied just one small cottage at the western end of its present premises.
The Bell also went on to obtain a full licence and, during the twentieth century, extended into two adjoining cottages"
Renamed "The Bell at Coleby" in 2011.
The former Wesleyan Methodist chapel in Blind Lane was built in 1903 on the site of previous chapel, built in 1835, which burnt down.
The last service was held here in 1997 and it has since been converted into a dwelling.
These memorials were transferred to All Saints Church following closure of the Methodist Chapel in June 1997.
The teaching and administative accommodation of Coleby Primary School now incorporates the two-storey former schoolhouse. An extension to the rear of the house was added in the early 21st century.
The school on Rectory Lane was built as a Parochial School in 1854 and later enlarged, aas can be seen from the change in brick colour.
"The first licensee of the Tempest Arms was farmer Samuel Auckland who opened up a beershop around 1840 and brewed his own beer on the premises.
Originally known as ‘The Board’, the beerhouse eventually became a licensed inn called ‘The Brewers Arms’.
However, in 1888, it was renamed ‘The Tempest Arms’ in deference to the Tempest family, owners of the Coleby Estate"
"18th Century Well Houses
At the south end of Blind Lane stone wellhouses cover the two old parish wells, a reminder of a time when water had to be drawn up in a bucket and carried home.
In 1896 the older of the two wells (flat top) was closed because of its dangerous condition.
In the same year a pump was attached to the other well (coned top). In 1905 this well was deepened and it remained in continuous use until piped water was laid to standpipes in the village in 1932"