Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Coningsby
 
Coningsby Moor Primitive Methodist Chapel
Coningsby Moor Primitive Methodist Chapel
Coningsby Moor Primitive Methodist Chapel

A chapel which opened in 1850 and held its last service in June 1964.

The building was sold the following year and for many years stood derelict and roofless – possibly only a wall remains.

It is located in Langrick Road, Coningsby parish (TF 245 567)

Barry Barton, 1978
Coningsby, Moor Primjtive Methodist Chapel
Coningsby Moorside Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Coningsby Moorside Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Coningsby Moorside Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

This Wesleyan chapel was built in 1843 or 1845 and enlarged in 1888.

A Sunday school was added in 1908 and the chapel closed for worship in 1987.

It has been converted into a house ‘Chateau Coningsby 1990’

It is located on Moorside Road in the parish of Coningsby (TF 246 580)

Barry Barton, 1980

Coningsby, Moorside, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Coningsby Moorside, Methodist Chapel
Coningsby Moorside, Methodist Chapel
Coningsby Moorside, Methodist Chapel

An earlier photograph (postcard) of Moorside chapel apparently taken before the additon of the Sunday school in 1908.

Undated postcard

Coningsby, Moorside Wesleyan Methodist Church chapel
Coningsby, Baptist Church
Coningsby, Baptist Church
Coningsby, Baptist Church

There is record of a congregation of General Baptists in Coningsby and Tattershall as early as the mid-1600s.

The current building, dating from 1862, is still in active use.

August 2017

Coningsby, baptist church
Coningsby, Castle Inn
Coningsby, Castle Inn
Coningsby, Castle Inn

Among the commercial residents Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1876 lists Thomas Kerman "Castle inn, butcher & grocer" 

DB 5 April 2018 

Coningsby, Castle Inn, Thomas Kerman
Coningsby, Railway Station
Coningsby, Railway Station
Coningsby, Railway Station

Opened with what was known as the ‘New Line’, between Coningsby Junction and Bellwater Junction, in 1913, the line and station closed in 1970.

The station platforms are of timber, without large buildings on them. This was to reduce the weight at this location, sited as it was on the top of an embankment.

Peter Grey Archive, 1970

Coningsby, railway station, timber platform
Coningsby, Soulby Brewery Steam Wagon
Coningsby, Soulby Brewery Steam Wagon
Coningsby, Soulby Brewery Steam Wagon

Soulby, Sons & Winch were the largest malsters and brewers in the eastern side of the county. Their principal malthouses and bewery were in Alford from 1868 to 1952.

They also had a maltkiln and brewery in Tumby Road, Coningsby (next to the Baptist Church) from 1861.

This photograph showing a Foden steam wagon, registration number M2191,is dated 1909.

Alford, Soulby, Coningsby, Foden, malthoudse, malt kiln, brewery
Coningsby, St Michael
Coningsby, St Michael
Coningsby, St Michael

The church of St Michael in Coningsby has a tall ashlar-faced west tower and shows both Decorated with Perpendicular styles.

The polygonal apse and clerestory were added in 1870. It is notable for its large single-handed clock.

Undated postcard

Coningsby,
Coningsby, St Michael
Coningsby, St Michael
Coningsby, St Michael

View from the north-east.

August 2013

Coningsby, St Michael church
Coningsby, St Michael
Coningsby, St Michael
Coningsby, St Michael

View from the south-east.

The clearance of the large graveyard has made a considerable change to the setting of the church (see early 20th century postcard).

August 2013

Coningsby, St Michael church
Coningsby, St Michael
Coningsby, St Michael
Coningsby, St Michael

The passageway between tower and nave,

August 2013

Coningsby, St Michael church
Coningsby, St Michael
Coningsby, St Michael
Coningsby, St Michael

The windows in the south aisle are from the Perpendicular period.

August 2013

Coningsby, St Michael church
Coningsby, St Michael, gargoyle
Coningsby, St Michael, gargoyle
Coningsby, St Michael, gargoyle

Gargoyle in the form of a grinning gryphon.

April 2016

Coningsby, St Michael, gargoyle
Coningsby, St Michael, interior
Coningsby, St Michael, interior
Coningsby, St Michael, interior

Looking east towards the chancel.

The low 5-bay arcades date from the Early English period, with in some places, stiff-leaved capitals.

April 2016

Coningsby, St Michael, interior
Coningsby, St Michael, interior
Coningsby, St Michael, interior
Coningsby, St Michael, interior

Looking west from the chancel steps. The west doorway - screened off - has a rose window above.

April 2016


Coningsby, St Michael, interior, rose window
Coningsby, St Michael, label stop
Coningsby, St Michael, label stop
Coningsby, St Michael, label stop

There are label stops above capitals in both north and south arcades.

April 2016

Coningsby, St Michael, label stop
Coningsby, St Michael, label stop
Coningsby, St Michael, label stop
Coningsby, St Michael, label stop

There are label stops above capitals in both north and south arcades.

April 2016



Coningsby, St Michael, label stop
Coningsby, St Michael, label stop
Coningsby, St Michael, label stop
Coningsby, St Michael, label stop

There are label stops above capitals in both north and south arcades.

April 2016



Coningsby, St Michael, label stop
Coningsby, St Michael, porch
Coningsby, St Michael, porch
Coningsby, St Michael, porch

The two-storeyed south porch dates from the Perpendicular period (15th century).

April 2016

Coningsby, St Michael, porch
Coningsby, St Michael, roof
Coningsby, St Michael, roof
Coningsby, St Michael, roof

The roof above the nave.

April 2016

Coningsby, St Michael, roof timber
Coningsby, United Methodist Church
Coningsby, United Methodist Church
Coningsby, United Methodist Church

Website states :-

"The Chapel is only ten years old , it was once a doctors surgery, but a revamp enabled us to redesign the building to what we have today"

http://www.mysgw.co.uk/Page.asp?PageID=325&SiteID=197 

DB 5 April 2018 

Coningsby, United Methodist
Coningsby, War Memorial
Coningsby, War Memorial
Coningsby, War Memorial

Coningsby Town Council website states :-

" The War Memorial was built by Thomas Kent of Boston at a cost of £150. 

It is made of broken Aberdeen red granite on a Portland stone base. 

The broken column depicts the broken lives of so many young men and women.   

The Dedication Ceremony was performed by  Reverend Henry Felix, Church of England Rector in September 1921. 

The hymns were "Let Saints On Earth"  and  "O God Our Help In Ages Past" followed by the National Anthem.     

Captain S V Hotchkin MP unveiled the memorial"

http://parishes.lincolnshire.gov.uk/Coningsby/section.asp?catId=31725 

DB 5 April 2018 

Coningsby, War Memorial
Coningsby, White Bull
Coningsby, White Bull
Coningsby, White Bull

"Public house. Mid C18, altered early C19, minor C20 alterations"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1288182 

DB 5 April 2018 

Coningsby, White Bull, public house
Coningsby, Windmill
Coningsby, Windmill
Coningsby, Windmill

Nothing now remains of Coningsby’s five-sailed tower mill built in 1826.

It was located in Silver Street and was last operated by William Watson.

undated postcard 

Coningsby, wind mill, Silver Street, William Watson
Coningsby, Windmill
Coningsby, Windmill
Coningsby, Windmill

The large 5-sailed tower mill viewed from Sykes Lane.

Postcard from David Robinson Collection, undated

Coningsby, windmill, Sykes Lane
Coningsby, Windmill
Coningsby, Windmill
Coningsby, Windmill

Nothing now remains of Coningsby’s five-sailed tower mill built in 1826.

It was located in Silver Street and was last operated by William Watson.

Cotswold postcard from David Robinson Collection, undated


Coningsby, William Watson
Hawthorn Hill, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Hawthorn Hill, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Hawthorn Hill, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

The first chapel on this site was built in 1831 and the second one, the current building, replaced it in 1887.

The chapel closed in 1985 and was demolished about five years later leaving a vacant grassy plot.

It is located at NGR TF 219 555 in Coningsby parish

Barry Barton, 1977

Coningsby, Hawthorn Hill Wesleyan Methodist Chapel