All Saints, Croft, is a fine greenstone church largely dating from the Decorated & Perpendicular periods.
Mark Acton, 2016
Many of the features of the church date from the Decorated period but the windows of the south aisle and the clerestory are late Perpendicular in style.
The fenestration of the chancel, including the five-light east window, is from the Perpendicular period.
The view of All Saints from the north-east shows the consistent Perpendicular style of the architecture from the chancel through to the embattled clerestory above the nave.
The church is built of greenstone except for the top section of the tower which was rebuilt of grey stone in 1656.
The tower was restored in 1857.
Self-explanatory notice inside the church tower at All Saints.
A bench door with simple tracery.
Late thirteenth or early fourteenth century brass of a knight wearing chain mail. Only the head, shoulders and arms are preserved from what at one time was probably a complete figure.
This is said to be one of the four or five earliest surviving brasses in England.
The brass inscription from a memorial to the vicar's wife from the early seventeenth century.
The fine panelled door leading into the south side of the nave is dated 1633.
The carved inscription on the inside of the south door reads:
HARBAR NEVSTEADE GORGE WhITING ChURChWARDONES
The large octagonal font has shields in simple panels and a bowl supported on busts.
There are several examples of graffiti in the church.
Badly eroded grotesque carving of a head at the end of a hood mould.
The interior of All Saints looking west towards the bell tower.
The arcades are of the Decorated period, of five bays, with octagonal piers and double chamfered arches, a very regular and satisfying arrangement.
The interior looking east with both rood and parclose screens showing clearly against the pale walls.
The medieval brass lectern was found in the moat of the Old Hall.
Similar lecterns are found in several larger East Anglian churches.
All Saints, Croft. Alabaster monument to Sir Valentine Brown (died 1600).
Alabaster monument to John Brown (died 1614).
This early seventeenth century pulpit (dated 1615), finely decorated, with tester, is said to be the pattern for that at nearby Burgh le Marsh.
The carved inscription under the reading ledge of the pulpit. William Worship was the priest here in 1615.
Detail of the carved decoration around the pulpit.
The east window od All Saints, in Perpendicular style.
This National School built in 1844 by subscription replaced an earlier building of 1822. It closed in 1963.
A second view of the former primary school by the church in Croft.
This mill is on the very southern edge of Croft parish and close to Wainfleet All Saints.
It originally had three-storeys and four-sails and was erected in 1814.
Jon Sass Collection, undated photograph
The mill was heightened by a further three storeys in 1859. It was wind-powered until 1949.
Location of mill: TF 501 596
Peter Kirk Collection, 2002