Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Deeping St James
 
Deeping St James, Deeping Gate Bridge
Deeping St James, Deeping Gate Bridge
Deeping St James, Deeping Gate Bridge

The Stamford Canal was constructed in the late seventeenth century to provide a navigable waterway to Deeping St James and thence by existing main drains to Boston and the sea.

Some sections of its course, as here, alongside the main street (B1525) in Deeping St James, were created by making the parallel River Welland navigable; elsewhere a separate channel was dug.

This fine stone pack horse bridge, which straddles the Welland/canal dates from 1651.

Deeping St James, Stamford Canal, Deeping Gate Bridge, River Welland
Deeping St James
Deeping St James
Deeping St James

The tower and spire of St James’ date from c1730. The architect may have been George Portwood, who did work in similar style in the locality.

September 2014

Deeping St James, church, George Portwood
Deeping St James
Deeping St James
Deeping St James

Externally, the large 15th century windows might suggest a church that is Perpendicular throughout.

However, St James’ was once part of a medieval Priory, and the interior has an impressive late 12th century arcade, described by Pevsner as ‘astounding’.

September 2014

Deeping St James, church
Deeping St James, capital
Deeping St James, capital
Deeping St James, capital

Norman scallop capital on pier in the south arcade.

September 2014

Deeping St James, church, capital
Deeping St James, capital
Deeping St James, capital
Deeping St James, capital

Late Norman scallop capital on pier in south arcade.

September 2014

Deeping St James, church, capital
Deeping St James, chancel
Deeping St James, chancel
Deeping St James, chancel
Deeping St James, church, chancel
Deeping St James, door handle
Deeping St James, door handle
Deeping St James, door handle

Door handle and decorated metal plate on south door.

September 2014

Deeping St James, church, door handle
Deeping St James, Eastgate
Deeping St James, Eastgate
Deeping St James, Eastgate

Deeping St James, lying 1 mile east of Market Deeping, was built around a twelfth-century Benedictine Abbey destroyed at the Dissolution of the Monasteries.

The village has an eighteenth-century lock-up built on the site and with the materials of a medieval wayside cross.

A railway station opened in 1848 and closed in 1964.

postcard mailed in 1911

Deeping St James, Benedictine Abbey, lock-up, wayside cross
Deeping St James, font
Deeping St James, font
Deeping St James, font

The large circular tub font is early 12th century, and is decorated with blank arcading.

September 2014

Deeping St James, church font
Deeping St James, interior
Deeping St James, interior
Deeping St James, interior

Above the nave arcade is a 13th century triforium of 13 pointed arches - with the lancets of the clerestory behind.

September 2014

Deeping St James, church, interior, triforium
Deeping St James, porch
Deeping St James, porch
Deeping St James, porch

The gabled south porch dates from the early 13th century. Above is an 18th century sundial.

September 2014

Deeping St James, church, porch, sundial
Deeping St James, shelter
Deeping St James, shelter
Deeping St James, shelter
This shelter – to protect the parson during rainy burial services - dates from the 18th century.
Deeping St James, church, graveside shelter