Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Dogdyke
 
Dogdyke, Pumping Station, Boiler
Dogdyke, Pumping Station, Boiler
Dogdyke, Pumping Station, Boiler

The Lancashire Boiler, made by William Foster of Lincoln, raised steam for the nineteenth century engine which drove the scoop wheel.

August 2013

Dogdyke, pumping station, boiler, William Foster
Dogdyke, Pumping Station, Boiler Valve
Dogdyke, Pumping Station, Boiler Valve
Dogdyke, Pumping Station, Boiler Valve

This simple steam boiler valve is on the external north wall of Dogdyke Pumping Station.

The boiler was a Lancashire type manufactured by Foster of Lincoln, installed here in 1909 and remaining in use for over 30 years.

Ken Redmore, 2010

Dogdyke, Tattershall, steam valve,
Dogdyke, Pumping Station, Engine Governor
Dogdyke, Pumping Station, Engine Governor
Dogdyke, Pumping Station, Engine Governor

The original external condensing steam engine installed at Dogdyke in 1856 was built by Bradley and Craven of Wakefield.  It was rated at 16hp and had a 12ft 6in (3.7m) beam.

This is the governor.

August 2013

Dogdyke, pumping station, governor, Bradley & Craven, Wakefield
Dogdyke, Pumping Station, Engineman's Cottage
Dogdyke, Pumping Station, Engineman's Cottage
Dogdyke, Pumping Station, Engineman's Cottage

The engine man who looked after the pumping station lived in this cottage, a few yards from the pump.

The cottage is now used by the Dogdyke Steam Preservation Trust as a visitor centre.

August 2013

Dogdyke, pumping station, engine man, cottage
Dogdyke, Pumping Station, Scoop Wheel
Dogdyke, Pumping Station, Scoop Wheel
Dogdyke, Pumping Station, Scoop Wheel

The restored scoop wheel at Dogdyke is 24ft diameter and lifted water about four feet.

It drained an area of approximately 1500 acres (625Ha).

August 2013

Dogdyke, pumping station, scoop wheel
Dogdyke, Pumping Station, Steam Engine
Dogdyke, Pumping Station, Steam Engine
Dogdyke, Pumping Station, Steam Engine

Dogdyke Pumping Station is located on the bank of the River Witham at Tattershall.

A wind-powered drainage pump was built here in 1796 to drain an area of land in Tattershall and Tattershall Thorpe parishes.

Then, in 1856, a steam engine manufactured by Bradley and Craven of Wakefield was erected to drive a traditional wooden scoop wheel and it survives today in full working order, albeit with a new boiler.

It is believed to be the only steam-driven scoop wheel in Europe which is regularly operated.

The site is run by the Dogdyke Pumping Station Preservation Trust (DPSPT). This photograph was taken in 1932.

NB Although known as "Dogdyke" the site is actually in the parish of Tattershall.

DPSPT, 2010

Dogdyke, Tattershall, steam engine, scoop wheel,