Dunston, Dunston Pillar
Stands beside the A15 Sleaford Road near the junction with B1178 Tower Lane.
Built by Sir Frances Dashwood 1751 as a land lighthouse to improve the safety of travellers.
Originally 92 feet high.
The lantern on the top was destroyed in a storm 1808 and replaced 1810 by an oversize Coade stone statue of George III (sculptor Joseph Panzetta) to celebrate 50 years of the King's reign.
Statue removed and tower reduced in height 1940 to prevent any danger to low flying aircraft using RAF Coleby Grange.
Surviving bust of George III now displayed in the grounds of Lincoln Castle.
DB 5 April 2018
Dunston, Pillar, Land Lighthouse, Sir Francis Dashwood, Coade Stone, George III, Joseph Panzetta