Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
East Barkwith
 
East Barkwith, Railway Station
East Barkwith, Railway Station
East Barkwith, Railway Station

The Louth to Bardney line had seven intermediate stations.

Five of these (Hallington, Donington on Bain, Hainton & South Willingham, East Barkwith and Wragby) had near identical station buildings, built in red and cream brick.

The station at East Barkwith (TF 172 811) was on the Panton Road, a few hundred yards south-east of the village centre.

Ken Redmore, 2009


 

East Barkwith, Panton, Louth to Bardney,
East Barkwith, St Mary
East Barkwith, St Mary
East Barkwith, St Mary

St Mary’s, East Barkwith, has a Victorian north aisle and chancel. The rest is Perpendicular.

There is a statuette of the Virgin in a niche above the porch doorway. The font is Ornate Perpendicular.

Christopher Turnor (1840-1914), squire of Panton and owner of much of the land in East Bartkwith, made the Arts and Crafts style pulpit.

Mark Acton, 2012

East Barkwith, St Mary church, Christopher Turnor, virgin, pulpit
East Barkwith, St Mary
East Barkwith, St Mary
East Barkwith, St Mary

The tower at St Mary's is from the Perpendicular period; the bell openings date from the seventeenth century.

July 2012

East Barkwith, St Mary church, tower
East Barkwith, St Mary
East Barkwith, St Mary
East Barkwith, St Mary

This window in the south aisle is the work of Robert Jewell Withers (1824-94).

July 2012

East Barkwith, St Mary church, window, Robert Jewell Withers
East Barkwith, St Mary
East Barkwith, St Mary
East Barkwith, St Mary

An embossed plaster frieze in the chancel at St Mary's.

July 2012

East Barkwith, St Mary church
East Barkwith, St Mary
East Barkwith, St Mary
East Barkwith, St Mary

Recently restored organ pipes.

July 2012

East Barkwith, St Mary church
East Barkwith, St Mary
East Barkwith, St Mary
East Barkwith, St Mary

The pulpit, of gilded copper, was designed by Christopher Hatton Turnor of Stoke Rochford and Panton.

Turnor (1873-1940) trained as an architect under Lutyens and is probably best known for the design of the Watts Gallery, Compton, Surrey.

July 2012

East Barkwith, St Mary church, Christopher Hatton Turnor, Lutyens, Watts Gallery, pulpit
East Barkwith, St Mary
East Barkwith, St Mary
East Barkwith, St Mary

A corbel supporting a principal rafter from the north arcade.

This dates from the 1846 restoration by J B Atkinson of York.

July 2012

East Barkwith, St Mary church, corbel, J B Atkinson
East Barkwith, War Memorial
East Barkwith, War Memorial
East Barkwith, War Memorial

East Barkwith lies 13 north east of Lincoln. Its railway station on the Louth to Bardney line closed in 1958.

The smaller West Barkwith lost its church to demolition in 1983.

undated postcard

East Barkwith, war memorial, west barkwith