Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Edlington
 
Edlington Hall
Edlington Hall
Edlington Hall

This drawing is one of the series made by Nattes for Sir Joseph Banks in the late eighteenth century.

It was owned by the Hassard Short family who held an estate of 2,700 acres in the area but preferred to live in the south of England.

The house was demolished in the 1840s.

More details about this house and its owners can be found in T R Leach's book, 'Lincolnshire Country Houses and their Families: Part 1', published by SLHA.  Buy a copy.

Edlington, Hall, Nattes, Hassard Short family
Edlington, St Helen
Edlington, St Helen
Edlington, St Helen

St Helenís has a tower arch that dates from circa 1100, and a 13th century arcade built into the north wall of the nave.

Much of the church, however, dates from the extensive restoration by James Fowler in 1860.

June 2013

Edlington, St Helen church, James Fowler
Edlington, St Helen
Edlington, St Helen
Edlington, St Helen

A view of St Helen's, Edlington, from the south-east.

Like many churches in this area of the county, it is built of greenstone (Spilsby Sandstone).

June 2013

Edlington, St Helen church, greenstone, Spilsby Sandstone