Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Fillingham
 
Fillingham, Methodist Chapel
Fillingham, Methodist Chapel
Fillingham, Methodist Chapel

The former chapel (now a house named ‘Pateley’) in Chapel Road was built in 1859 or 1864.

The last service was held in October 1967.

May 2011

Fillingham, Methodist Chapel
Fillingham, St Andrew
Fillingham, St Andrew
Fillingham, St Andrew

The tower at St Andrew's, built in 1777, is open on three sides at ground level and stands away from the west end of the nave.

There is a Norman doorway with round arch and one order of colonettes in the west end of the nave.

The church reformer John Wycliffe was rector here in the 1360s.

May 2011

Fillingham, St Andrew church, John Wycliffe, open tower, Norman doorway
Fillingham, St Andrew
Fillingham, St Andrew
Fillingham, St Andrew

The nave at St Andrew's was restored in 1866 following rebuilding in the late eighteenth century.

It has 14th century arcades built into the N and S walls. The chancel arch and tower arch are also 14th century.

The church reformer John Wycliffe was rector here in the 1360s.

May 2011

Fillingham, St Andrew church, John Wycliffe
Fillingham, St Andrew
Fillingham, St Andrew
Fillingham, St Andrew

St Andrew’s was rebuilt in the 18th century and restored in 1866, possibly by George Gilbert Scott.  The nave has 14th century arcades built into the N and S walls.

The church reformer John Wycliffe was rector here in the 1360s.

May 2011

Fillingham, St Andrew church
Fillingham, St Andrew
Fillingham, St Andrew
Fillingham, St Andrew

A view of the tower and nave at St Andrew's, Fillingham.

May 2011

Fillingham, St Andrew church
Fillingham, St Andrew, memorial
Fillingham, St Andrew, memorial
Fillingham, St Andrew, memorial

On the wall of the chancel of St Andrew's Fillingham is this marble tablet inscribed as follows:

In the center of this chancel/ are deposited the remains of/ DAME ESTHER WRAY/ and in the same vault with those/ of her consort/ Sir CECIL WRAY Bart./ She died at Summer Castle/ on the 1st day of Feby 1825 in the/ eighty ninth year of her age.

Sir Cecil Wray, 13th baronet and politician, built Fillingham (or Summer) Castle in 1760.  Dame Esther's maiden name was Summers.

May 2011

Fillingham, St Andrew church
Fillingham, street scene
Fillingham, street scene
Fillingham, street scene
undated postcard
Fillingham, street scene