Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Fiskerton
 
Fiskerton, Iron Age antler file
Fiskerton, Iron Age antler file
Fiskerton, Iron Age antler file

The Fiskerton Iron Age causeway site is one of the most important in Europe.  Many hundreds of objects were placed in the waters of the River Witham as religious offerings.

The anaerobic conditions on site meant that many organic remains survived.

This antler handled file is a beautiful example of the material often lost to us. The delicate curve of the handle fits the hand perfectly, and a series of punched dots form a graceful series of swirls around the terminal.

The file itself is in perfect condition, and traces of bronze were found in the teeth, indicating that this was a metalworking rather than a woodworking file.

Courtesy of Lincolnshire County Council, The Collection

Fiskerton, Iron Age antler file
Fiskerton, Iron Age log boat
Fiskerton, Iron Age log boat
Fiskerton, Iron Age log boat

The site of the Iron Age votive causeway at Fiskerton is one of the most important archaeological sites in Europe.

Alongside a wooden causeway leading to the edge of the River Witham, hundreds of objects have been excavated, deposited into the water as votive offerings to the Gods or ancestors.

Alongside many smaller tools and weapons, this entire log boat seems to have been made into an offering.

Still showing axe marks from its manufacture, the boat was probably only used once, to take it to the causeway where it was deliberately sunk.

The boat was made by hollowing out a single oak tree trunk, itself around 300 years old at the time it was chopped down.

Waterlogged when found, the boat underwent five years of treatment before it could be displayed in the archaeology gallery at The Collection.

Courtesy of Lincolnshire County Council, The Collection

Fiskerton, iron age log boat
Fiskerton, Methodist Chapel
Fiskerton, Methodist Chapel
Fiskerton, Methodist Chapel

The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in Chapel Road was built in 1839 in gault brick and converted into a house with new windows in 1967.

The defaced plaque is still there on the gable end to the left (not visible in this photograph).

Pearl Wheatley, 2011

Fiskerton, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, gault brick
Fiskerton, St Clement
Fiskerton, St Clement
Fiskerton, St Clement

The nave and chancel of St Clement's church at Fiskerton have Norman north arcades while the south arcades are Early English in style.  The clerestory is Perpendicular.

Much restoration was carried out in 1863 by Ewan Christian, especially to the chancel and south aisle.

September 2008 

Fiskerton, St Clement, round tower, Norman arcade, Ewan Christian
Fiskerton, St Clement
Fiskerton, St Clement
Fiskerton, St Clement

The north side of St Clement’s at Fiskerton is close to the main street.

The prominent Perpendicular tower with unusual hexagonal clasping buttresses encloses a round tower of possible 11th century date.

It is the only round tower in Lincolnshire.

September 2008

Fiskerton, St Clement church, round tower, clasping buttresses
Fiskerton, St Clement, putlogs
Fiskerton, St Clement, putlogs
Fiskerton, St Clement, putlogs

The tower of St Clement’s at Fiskerton still contains putlog holes, originally created to support scaffolding during construction.

The normal practice was to fill these holes in - or possibly saw off the timber inserted in them - when the tower was completed.

September 2008

Fiskerton, St Clement, round tower, putlog holes, scaffolding