Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Folkingham
 
Folkingham, House of Correction
Folkingham, House of Correction
Folkingham, House of Correction

The House of Correction in Folkingham was built in 1808 to serve the whole of Kesteven.

It was enlarged in 1825 and this grand and suitably severe gatehouse was added the only part of the building that now survives.

It is now in the care of the Landmark Trust.

Frank Robinson, 2010

Folkingham,
Folkingham, Manor House
Folkingham, Manor House
Folkingham, Manor House

This relatively modest house was built in the 1660s and was built for Lord Clinton using stone from Folkingham Castle.

The Heathcote family became owners in the Victorian period.

More details about this house and its owners can be found in T R Leach's book, 'Lincolnshire Country Houses and their Families: Part 2', published by SLHA.  Buy a copy.

Folkingham, Manor, Lord Clinton, Heathcote
Folkingham, Manor House
Folkingham, Manor House
Folkingham, Manor House

This house with steeply hipped roof and a three storeyed porch was built for Lord Clinton in the Restoration period.

The windows have two lights with mullions and straight entablature.

The undercroft was once used for storing wool.

It is said that stone from Folkingham Castle was used in the cionsgtruction of this house.

H D Martineau, c.1980
Folkingham, Manor house, Lord Clinton
Folkingham, St Andrew
Folkingham, St Andrew
Folkingham, St Andrew

St Andrew's church is ashlar-faced except for the ironstone chancel.

This view from the south-east shows the Decorated tracery of the south aisle windows.

The chancel is late thriteenth century with geometrical tracery.  It was renewed by Kirk & Parry, Sleaford architects, in 1857.

September 2013

Folkingham, St Andrew church, Kirk & Parry
Folkingham, St Andrew
Folkingham, St Andrew
Folkingham, St Andrew

The fine Perpendicular tower at Folkingham is four-staged.

The porch is from the same period and has two storeys with battlements and pinnacles.

September 2013 

Folkingham, St Andrew church, tower, porch
Folkingham, The Greyhound Inn
Folkingham, The Greyhound Inn
Folkingham, The Greyhound Inn

The Greyhound in Folkingham was once a well known coaching inn on the Lincoln to London road, about 8 miles south of Sleaford (TF 072337).

The imposing red brick frontage was built in the 18th century and an Assize Court and Assembly Room were included in the building.

The Greyhound is now converted into apartments.

Frank Robinson, 2010

Folkingham, Assize, Assembly, coaching,