Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Fulbeck
 
Fulbeck, Roman greyhound brooch
Fulbeck, Roman greyhound brooch
Fulbeck, Roman greyhound brooch

This brooch is made of tinned copper alloy and was discovered at Fulbeck in 2006.

It shows a seated greyhound, and unlike many other zoomorphic brooches of the 2nd Century AD, is a realistic depiction of the animal rather than a stylised one.

Two parallels are known for this brooch, one in Syria and one in Carlisle, and it is possible that they represent special commissions, perhaps for people involved in dog breeding, hence the realistic depiction.

Courtesy of Lincolnshire County Council, The Collection

Fulbeck, Roman greyhound brooch, zoomorphic,
Fulbeck, St Nicholas
Fulbeck, St Nicholas
Fulbeck, St Nicholas

The church of St Nicholas, Fulbeck, lies in one of Lincolnshire's prettiest Villages together with notable Manor and House.

The tower and nave with clerestory are in the Perpendicular style whilst the arcades date from c1300.

There are many monuments to the Fane family, still resident in the village.

Mark Acton

Fulbeck, Fane, Perpendicular, c1300,
Fulbeck, St Nicholas, Memorial
Fulbeck, St Nicholas, Memorial
Fulbeck, St Nicholas, Memorial

Colonel Charles Fane, son of Henry and Anne Fane of Fulbeck Hall, died of wounds received at the battle of Vittoria on 21 June 1813.

He served in the 2/59th Foot.

Mark Acton, 2008

Fulbeck, St Nicholas, Memorial, Charles Fane
Fulbeck, Street Scene
Fulbeck, Street Scene
Fulbeck, Street Scene
Fulbeck, street scene
Fulbeck, Street Scene
Fulbeck, Street Scene
Fulbeck, Street Scene

Fulbeck lies on the A607 14 miles north of Grantham. It has the home of the Fane family since 1632.

Fulbeck Hall served as the headquarters of the 1st Airborne Division before the Arnhem operation. RAF Fulbeck housed 2 Lancaster squadrons from October 1944 until the end of the war.

undated postcard

Fulbeck, Fane, RAF Fulbeck