Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Fulstow
 
Fulstow, St Lawrence
Fulstow, St Lawrence
Fulstow, St Lawrence

St Lawrence’s is an early 13th century church, rebuilt in 1868.

The lancet windows of the chancel are all 19th century.

June 2015

Fulstow, St Lawrence church
Fulstow, St Lawrence
Fulstow, St Lawrence
Fulstow, St Lawrence

The three bays of the south arcade of the early 13th century building can be seen in the nave wall.

The windows and porch are 19th century, though the Early English inner doorway of the porch has been retained.

The mixed stone (chalk, ironstone, limestone) used in the 19th century reconstruction of the church has given an odd chequer-board effect,

June 2015

Fulstow, St Lawrence church
Fulstow, St Lawrence
Fulstow, St Lawrence
Fulstow, St Lawrence

St Lawrence’s once had a slender tower. This was replaced in Victorian times by the present gabled bellcote.

The former north arcade with its two bays can be traced in the nave wall.

June 2015

Fulstow, St Lawrence church, bellcote
Fulstow, St Lawrence
Fulstow, St Lawrence
Fulstow, St Lawrence

View of St Lawrence's church at a time when the churchyard was untended.

Jews' Court collection, 1977

Fulstow, St Lawrence
Fulstow, St Lawrence, effigy
Fulstow, St Lawrence, effigy
Fulstow, St Lawrence, effigy

In the porch is this figure of a lady circa 1300 wearing a head-dress and a flowing gown.

Her head rests on a pillow, her feet on a lion.

A masonry paint has been applied in recent times.

June 2015

Fulstow, St Lawrence church, effigy
Fulstow, St Lawrence, effigy
Fulstow, St Lawrence, effigy
Fulstow, St Lawrence, effigy

In the porch is this effigy circa 1300 of a cross-legged knight.

He wears mail and a surcoat and carries sword and shield.

His head rests on a pillow, his feet are on a lion.

June 2015

Fulstow, St Lawrence church, effigy
Fulstow, Windmill (1)
Fulstow, Windmill (1)
Fulstow, Windmill (1)

This is one of the mills built by Saunderson of Louth in the third quarter of nineteenth century.

Jon Sass Collection, photograph 1934

Fulstow, windmill, Jon Sass, Saunderson
Fulstow, Windmill (2)
Fulstow, Windmill (2)
Fulstow, Windmill (2)

The sails on Fulstow Mill were finally removed in 1950 and for a while it was powered by an electric motor.

Location of mill: TF 330 965

Peter Kirk Collection, 2006

Fulstow, windmill, Peter Kirk