Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Gayton le Marsh
 
Gayton-le-Marsh, St George
Gayton-le-Marsh, St George
Gayton-le-Marsh, St George

St George's was a brick building of 1847 attached to a Perpendicular tower. Pevsner described it as 'rather depressing' & 'distasteful to look at'.

Conveniently condemned as unsafe it was finally destroyed by dynamite despite the efforts of the villagers to save it. 'A shameful business', thought Henry Thorold.

N. Pevsner & J. Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1964

H. Thorold, Lincolnshire Churches Revisited, 1993

 

Gayton Le Marsh, St Georhe church