Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Glentworth
 
Glentworth Hall
Glentworth Hall
Glentworth Hall

Sir Christopher Wray (1524-92), Lord Chief Justice, built this impressive house in 1567-68.

In the 1750s it was partly replaced by Paine for Thomas Lumley, 3rd Earl of Scarbrough, who had inherited the estate.

Much of the house fell into ruin in the nineteenth century.

More details about this house and its owners can be found in T R Leach's book, 'Lincolnshire Country Houses and their Families: Part 1', published by SLHA.  Buy a copy.

Glentworth, Hall, Sir Christopher Wray, Thomas Lumley, Earl of Scarbrough
Glentworth, St Michael
Glentworth, St Michael
Glentworth, St Michael

The tower probably dates to the second half of the 11th century and the rest of the church has features ranging from this period right up to the end of the 19th century. 

Glentworth,
Glentworth, St Michael
Glentworth, St Michael
Glentworth, St Michael

The nave of St Michael's church dates from 1782. It runs through into the chancel as a single structure.

The chancel arch inside is late twelfth century.

May 2015

Glentworth, St Michael church
Glentworth, St Michael
Glentworth, St Michael
Glentworth, St Michael

The tower of St Michael's church, though much repaired, retains much of its eleventh century form and building material.

By contrast the nave and chancel, built of similar stone, were totally reconstructed in the late eighteenth century.

May 2015

Glentworth, St Michael church
Glentworth, St Michael, bell opening
Glentworth, St Michael, bell opening
Glentworth, St Michael, bell opening

The twin bell-openings with dividing shaft on the south wall of the tower are typical of the late Saxon period (11th century).

May 2015

Glentworth, St Michael church, bell opening
Glentworth, St Michael, capital
Glentworth, St Michael, capital
Glentworth, St Michael, capital

The chancel arch, double chamfered on semi-circular responds, has simple stiff-leaf capitals.

May 2015

Glentworth, St Michael church, capital
Glentworth, St Michael, priest's door
Glentworth, St Michael, priest's door
Glentworth, St Michael, priest's door

The priest's doorway in the south wall of the chancel dates from the late 12th century.

It has a semi-circular hood mould and waterleaf capitals.

May 2015

Glentworth, St Michael church, priest's door
Glentworth, St Michael, Saunderson Memorial
Glentworth, St Michael, Saunderson Memorial
Glentworth, St Michael, Saunderson Memorial

The white marble monument to Elizabeth Saunderson was created by Edward Hurst.

The inscription reads:
Near this place lies the body of the Hon. / ELIZABETH SAUNDERSON widow of the Hon. Nicholas / Saunderson eldest son of the Rt. Hon. George Lord / Viscount Castleton of the Kingdom of Ireland / By whom she had only one son Wray Sounderson / who dyed without issue in her lifetime / She was the only Daughter and heire of St John WRAY / of Gentworth baronet / Who was great grandson of Sir Christopher / WRAY Lord Chief Justice of England / in the reigh of the renowned / QUEEN ELIZABETH.

(She died in York on 7 April 1714 in her 50th year)

May 2015

Glentworth, St Michael, Saunderson memorial
Glentworth, St Michael, Saunderson Memorial
Glentworth, St Michael, Saunderson Memorial
Glentworth, St Michael, Saunderson Memorial

In the centre of the Saunderson memorial are three cherubs' heads under a baldacchino.

May 2015

Glentworth, St Michael church, Saunderson memorial
Glentworth, St Michael, Saunderson Memorial
Glentworth, St Michael, Saunderson Memorial
Glentworth, St Michael, Saunderson Memorial

A wailing putto (small naked boy) standing to the left in the Saunderson memorial.

May 2015

Glentworth, St Michael church, Saunderson memorial, putto
Glentworth, St Michael, Saunderson Memorial
Glentworth, St Michael, Saunderson Memorial
Glentworth, St Michael, Saunderson Memorial

A wailing putto (small naked boy) standing to the right in the Saunderson memorial.

May 2015

Glentworth, St Michael church, Saunderson memorial
Glentworth, St Michael, Wray Memorial
Glentworth, St Michael, Wray Memorial
Glentworth, St Michael, Wray Memorial

The recumbent effigy of Anne, wife of Sir Christopher Wray.

May 2015

Glentworth, St Michael church, Wray memorial
Glentworth, St Michael, Wray Memorial
Glentworth, St Michael, Wray Memorial
Glentworth, St Michael, Wray Memorial

Skull and crossbones - decoration on the panel behind the recumbent figures in the Wray memorial.

May 2015

Glentworth, St Michael church, Wray memorial
Glentworth, St Michael, Wray Memorial
Glentworth, St Michael, Wray Memorial
Glentworth, St Michael, Wray Memorial

Effigies of two of Sir Christopher's daughters kneeling at the foot of their parents' memorial.

May 2015

Glentworth, St Michael church, Wray memorial
Glentworth, St Michael, Wray Memorial
Glentworth, St Michael, Wray Memorial
Glentworth, St Michael, Wray Memorial

The monument to Sir Christopher Wray (1524-1592) and his wife is made of alabaster, presumably from nearby Nottinghamshire.

Wray was an English judge and Chief Justice of the King's Bench.

He married Anne, daughter of Nicholas Girlington.  They had a son and two daughters.  Two other daughters died in infancy.

May 2015

Glentworth, St Michael church, Wray memorial