Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Grantham
 
Grantham, Angel and Royal Hotel
Grantham, Angel and Royal Hotel
Grantham, Angel and Royal Hotel

This view looking south along High Street includes the historic Angel and Royal Hotel in the left foreground.

Originally the Angel Inn, the hotel is the oldest secular building in Grantham – possibly as early as 1200.

In the yard behind the façade are stables and outbuildings surviving from the coaching days of the 18th and 19th centuries.

Undated postcard

Grantham, stables, coaching, 1200,
Grantham, Angel and Royal Hotel
Grantham, Angel and Royal Hotel
Grantham, Angel and Royal Hotel

Originally the Angel Inn, the Angel and Royal Hotel is the oldest secular building in Grantham – possibly as early as 1200.

In the yard behind the façade are stables and outbuildings surviving from the coaching days of the 18th and 19th centuries.

Grantham, Angel & Royal Hotel
Grantham, Angel and Royal Hotel
Grantham, Angel and Royal Hotel
Grantham, Angel and Royal Hotel

The gatehouse of this inn dates from the mid-C15th. Richard III held Court here in October 1483 receiving the Great Seal which had been sent for from London.

These events took place in the King's Room on the first floor of the building which has an oriel window looking across into the Market Place.

The Great Seal was used to sign the warrant for the execution of his cousin and former ally the Duke of Buckingham.  Charles I held Court here in 1633.

The inn was acquired by the Cust family who extended it in about 1776  with a four-storey north range some 14 bays long to cater for coach travellers on the Great North Road as well as visitors to the Belvoir Hunt

postcard by Whipple of Grantham, 1903

Grantham, angel and Royal inn hotel, Cust, King Charles I
Grantham, Avenue Road
Grantham, Avenue Road
Grantham, Avenue Road

George Whipple*, producer of this postcard series, would have travelled into the town centre along this pleasant Avenue.

It was built as part of a planned scheme of new houses and roads between Castlegate and the River Witham following the sale of a large late Georgian house called Cheney House in the late 1860s.

A new Congregational Church was built at the corner of Avenue Road and Castlegate and this was opened on 13 October 1870. Cheney House was built on the site of the house occupied by the antiquarian William Stukeley.

George Whipple was the earliest local publisher of Grantham postcards immediately after the introduction of divided back cards. In 1903 he had two motor garages in Grantham one in High Street opposite the George Hotel and the other in Watergate. He was a general dealer who had made his fortune through his shop in Watergate.

postcard, one of a series of 10, 1903

Grantham, George Whipple, the Avenue Road, Cheney House, William Stukeley
Grantham, Barracks
Grantham, Barracks
Grantham, Barracks

The Barracks in Sandon Road were built in 1858 and 1872. Pevsner described it as ‘castellated and very forbidding’. There is an impressive courtyard inside.

It was built for the 4th Special Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment.

undated postcard

Grantham, barracks, Sandon Road, Lincolnshire Regiment
Grantham, Boyall's Works
Grantham, Boyall's Works
Grantham, Boyall's Works
Richard Boyall's 'Carriage, Harness and Steam Wheel Works', known as the Brownlow Works, was established about 1860 at the corner of Wharf Road and Station Approach.

The firm manufactured a range of carriages and, especially, artillery wheels for both home and overseas manufacturers of military ordnance.

Much of the factory has disappeared, but the works bell survives and is displayed outside the showroom.

 

Grantham, wheelwright, artillery,
Grantham, Canal
Grantham, Canal
Grantham, Canal

The Grantham Canal runs for 33 miles from Grantham to the River Trent at West Bridgford.

It opened in 1797 and closed in 1936.

The Grantham Canal Society has been working to restore it.

The exact location of this undated postcard is uncertain.

Grantham, canal, Trent, West Bridgford
Grantham, Conduit
Grantham, Conduit
Grantham, Conduit

The conduit in the Market Place dates from 1597.

It is square with stepped buttresses, a crenellated parapet and obelisks.

undated postcard

Grantham, conduit
Grantham, Finkin Street Methodist Church
Grantham, Finkin Street Methodist Church
Grantham, Finkin Street Methodist Church

This is the church attended by Margaret Thatcher as a child with her family.

Her father, Alfred Roberts, was a local preacher and a lectern in the church is dedicated to him.

April 2011
Grantham, Finkin Street Methodist Church, Margaret Thatcher, Alfred Roberts
Grantham, Finkin Street Methodist Church
Grantham, Finkin Street Methodist Church
Grantham, Finkin Street Methodist Church

This church, now known as Christ Church, was built for the Wesleyan Methodists in 1840.

The Methodists were joined in the building in 2011 by the local United Reformed Church and the new name was adopted at that date.

April 2011
Grantham, Finkin Street Methodist Church, Christ Church
Grantham, George Hotel
Grantham, George Hotel
Grantham, George Hotel

The former George Hotel was built in the late eighteenth century, replacing a hostelry on the same site.

The large archway to the left was originally the entrance for coaches which travelled along the Great North Road running immediately in front of the building. (It is remarkable that sheep are being driven along this major road.)

Later this section was converted into garages.

In 1989 the George closed and was converted into a shopping centre.

Postcard, 1905

Grantham, George Hotel
Grantham, George Hotel
Grantham, George Hotel
Grantham, George Hotel

The George Hotel was rebuilt in 1780 with an impressive brick façade. The central archway led through to stabling and service quarters at the rear which could be accessed from Westgate.

The George Inn is recorded as early as 1456 and was part of the manor of Grantham. The rebuilding of 1780 by John Manners was almost certainly in response to the new range added to the Angel Inn some four years previously.

The George is now a shopping centre and two Blue Plaques can be found in the internal atrium. One is to Thomas Paine, author of the Rights of Man and The Age of Reason, who as an excise man was based at the George Inn between 1762-64. The other is to Charles Dickens who stayed here in 1838.

postcard by Whipple of Grantham, 1903

Grantham, George Hotel, John Manners
Grantham, Girls High School
Grantham, Girls High School
Grantham, Girls High School

Kesteven and Grantham Girls' School on Sandon Road was built in 1911 by H H Dunn*. It is Listed Grade II.

Margaret Thatcher (nee Roberts) was a pupil here in the 1940s.

* Herbert Henry Dunn of Lincoln was an architect who specialised in school buildings. He later became County Architect for Cambridgeshire CC and is perhaps best known for Sawston Village College.

undated postcard

Grantham, Girls High School, H H Dunn, Margaret Thatcher
Grantham, Grammar School
Grantham, Grammar School
Grantham, Grammar School

The Grammar School is located in Church Street. The old school was built by the 1520s under the terms of the wills of Henry Curteys and his son Richard.

The school was refounded under the will of Bishop Fox in 1528 and was endowed by Edward VI. Famous pupils include Lord Burghley, Sir Isaac Newton, Arthur Storer and playwright Colley Cibber.

Adjacent to the old school is a stone-fronted Georgian townhouse from c1730.  The school is not normally open to the public.

postcard by Whipple of Grantham, 1903

Grantham, grammar school, Isaac Newton, Arthur Storer, Colley Cibber, Bishop Fox, Henry Curteys
Grantham, Guildhall
Grantham, Guildhall
Grantham, Guildhall

This town hall was designed by William Watkins of Lincoln and was opened in 1869. It replaced the former Guildhall which stood on High Street on the southern corner with Guildhall Street.

In front of the Guildhall is the memorial to Sir Isaac Newton which was inaugurated in 1858.

The Guildhall includes the former police cells on the outside of which is a Blue Plaque to WPC Edith Smith the country's first female constable with powers of arrest

postcard by Whipple of Grantham, 1903

Grantham, Guildhall, Edith Smith
Grantham, Harrison Basket-Maker
Grantham, Harrison Basket-Maker
Grantham, Harrison Basket-Maker

Messrs Harrison & Sons (1710-1965) made basketware, fine cane furniture, bath chairs and baby carriages.

Their business was on the west side of Watergate and they had osier beds, shown here, at Dysart Road and other locations on the south-west of the town. 

Grantham, Harrison & Co, Watergate, basket making,
Grantham, High Street
Grantham, High Street
Grantham, High Street

The viewpoint for this 1950s photograph is St Peter's Hill, looking northwards towards High Street.

At the time, this relatively quiet street was in fact the Great North Road.

Undated postcard

 

Grantham, St Peter's Hill, great North Road,
Grantham, Hospital
Grantham, Hospital
Grantham, Hospital

The hospital on Manthorpe Road was opened by Countess Brownlow on 5 January 1876. It had cost over £5,000 and Lady Brownlow had laid the foundation stone on 29 October 1874 no doubt because the land on which it stood had been donated by her husband.

The central block of two storeys included an operating room, kitchen and offices and four bedrooms on the first floor. Wings on either side formed the wards for male and female patients.

A five-bed fever ward and the laundry stood separately to the rear. The building shown in the post-card has stood unused for several years.

postcard by Whipple of Grantham, 1903

Grantham, hospital, Lady Brownlow, Manthorpe Road
Grantham, King's School
Grantham, King's School
Grantham, King's School

Now known as the King’s School, the institution has an unbroken history on the same site since its re-endowment by Richard Fox, Bishop of Winchester, in 1528.

Famous early scholars included William Cecil, Isaac Newton and Colley Cibber.

The original school building is centre right in this view; the parish church of St Wulfram is immediately to the left.

undated postcard

Grantham, King's School
Grantham, Living Sign
Grantham, Living Sign
Grantham, Living Sign

The Beehive pub on Castlegate has a real beehive as its sign. Under it a plaque with the following rhyme:

Stop Traveller! This wondrous sign explore
And say, when thou has viewed it o'er,
Grantham, now two rarities are thine:
A lofty steeple and a living sign

undated post card

Grantham, Beehive pub, living sign, Castlegate
Grantham, Market Cross
Grantham, Market Cross
Grantham, Market Cross

Grantham’s Market Cross dates from around 1300. Demolished first in 1779 & then again in 1884, it was restored through public pressure.

It was the traditional point for the proclamation of important news.

Unposted and undated Jackson & Son of Grimsby card

Grantham, market cross
Grantham, Newton, Isaac - statue
Grantham, Newton, Isaac - statue
Grantham, Newton, Isaac - statue

Isaac Newton (1642-1726), one of the most influential mathematicians and scientists of all time, was born at Woolsthorpe near Grantham.

He was educated at the King’s School, Grantham and Trinity College, Cambridge, where he spent much of his working life.

This statue, cast in bronze by William Theed the younger and completed in 1858, stands on St Peter’s Hill.

August 2014

Grantham, Isaac Newton, statue, St Peters Hill, William Theed
Grantham, St John
Grantham, St John
Grantham, St John

St John's Church in Station Road is in the former parish of Spittlegate.

It was built by Anthony Salvin in 1840-41.

August 2014

Grantham, St John Spittlegate, Anthony Salvin
Grantham, St John
Grantham, St John
Grantham, St John

St John Spittlegate is in a plain Early English style with tower in ashlar.

The aisles were widened and the chancel rebuilt in 1883-84.

August 2014

Grantham, St John Spittlegate
Grantham, St Peter's Hill
Grantham, St Peter's Hill
Grantham, St Peter's Hill

Looking north along St Peter's Hill Grantham in the 1950s. The tall building right of centre is the town Guildhall, designed by William Watkins of Lincoln and completed in 1868.

It was originally flanked by offices for the Chief Constable and the Inspector of Weights and Measures.

Later the Town Museum was constructed immediately to the south side of the Guildhall (as shown here).

Undated postcard

Grantham,
Grantham, St Peter's Hill
Grantham, St Peter's Hill
Grantham, St Peter's Hill

This view looking north across St Peter’s Hill. Dominating the postcard is the bronze statue of Frederick James Tollemache, four times MP for Grantham between 1826 and 1874.

postcard by Whipple of Grantham, 1903

Grantham, Frederick James Tollemache, St Peter's Hill
Grantham, St Wulfram
Grantham, St Wulfram
Grantham, St Wulfram

St Wulfram’s is famed for its beautiful tower and spire: ‘the finest steeple in England’ in the view of Simon Jenkins.

The interior is spacious, with six bay arcades and wide aisles.

The superb window tracery illustrates the changing styles of the late 13th and 14th centuries.

The screen, reredos and stained glass are Victorian, also the impressive timber roofs by George Gilbert Scott.

April 2011

Grantham, St Wulfram
Grantham, St Wulfram
Grantham, St Wulfram
Grantham, St Wulfram

The fine window tracery on the south side of St Wulfram's is evident in this postcard.

undated postcard

Grantham, St Wulfram church
Grantham, St Wulfram
Grantham, St Wulfram
Grantham, St Wulfram

Owing much to the profits made by Grantham merchants through the export of wool to Italian merchants in the late C12th and C13th, the rebuilding of the church was largely completed by c1350.

The tower and spire date from c1290-1320. When built, Grantham was the tallest parish church in England for some 150 years.

The church contains a chained library (one of only four such libraries in the UK) as well as several very fine C18th monuments.

It is usually open from 10am to 1pm most days and, during the summer, until 4pm on most days

postcard by Whipple of Grantham, 1903

Grantham, St Wulfram
Grantham, War Memorial
Grantham, War Memorial
Grantham, War Memorial

Grantham's war memorial is in Wyndham Park.

It was designed by Sir Charles Nicholson and unveiled on 27 November 1920 by Sir George Welby of Allington Hall.

It is thought to be inspired by the Eleanor crosses.

postcard: Robin Hood Brand, No.2922

Grantham, war memorial, Sir George Welby, Sir Charles Nicholson, Eleanor cross
Grantham, Willoughby's Mill
Grantham, Willoughby's Mill
Grantham, Willoughby's Mill

This mill was on the footpath that runs from the foot of Princess Drive to Manthorpe Road. Only the house now remains.

Unposted card by Jackson & Son of Grimsby

Grantham, Willoughby's Mill