Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Grasby
 
Grasby, All Saints
Grasby, All Saints
Grasby, All Saints

All Saintsí retains some 13th century work, including the north arcade and the south door (dogtooth in the hoodmould) to the nave.

Much of the church however was rebuilt in Victorian times, notably by Charles Buckeridge in 1869.

Charles Turner (formerly Tennyson), the brother of the famous poet, was rector here from 1835 until his death in 1879.

May 2011

Grasby, All Saints, Charles Buckeridge, Charles Tennyson Turner
Grasby, All Saints
Grasby, All Saints
Grasby, All Saints

The late-13th century tower of All Saints' church supported a spire from 1796 until it was demolished in 1957.

Most of the church was rebuilt in 1850 (north aisle) and 1869.

Charles Turner (formerly Tennyson), the brother of the famous poet, and poet himself, was rector here from 1835 until his death in 1879.

May 2011

Grasby, All Saints church, spire, Charles Tennyson Gurner
Grasby, Street Scene
Grasby, Street Scene
Grasby, Street Scene

Grasby is a small village sited 3 miles north-west of Caistor.

Charles Tennyson Turner, brother of Alfred Tennyson, was rector of Grasby from 1837 until his death in 1879.

undated postcard

Grasby, street scene, Charles Tennyson Turner
Grasby, Windmill (1)
Grasby, Windmill (1)
Grasby, Windmill (1)

This mill originated in neighbouring Owmby in the mid-eighteenth century.

In 1845 or 1846 it was moved from Owmby to Grasby and in due course a brick round house was built.

It was dismantled in the 1920s.

Jon Sass Collection, undated photograph

Grasby, windmill, Jon Sass, post mill
Grasby, Windmill (2)
Grasby, Windmill (2)
Grasby, Windmill (2)

This is the brick round house of the post mill, a rare survival..

Milling continued here until just before the First World War.

Location of mill: TA 092 051

Peter Kirk Collection, 1999
Grasby, windmill, Peter Kirk