Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-
"The church of the Holy Cross, which occupies an elevated position near the Great Northern railway, is a building of stone in the best and purest form of the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel with north aisle, nave of three bays, aisles, south porch and a tower at the west end, 78 feet in height, and containing 5 bells:
the oldest feature is part of a finely proportioned and lofty arcade of early 14th century work, on the north side of the chancel; but the easternmost arch is closed with masonry, so as to form a vestry ; the other incloses the organ ; the rest of the fabric is Perpendicular:
a newel staircase to the rood loft remains on the south side of the chancel arch and the chancel contains a shelved aumbry and a sedile:
the massive tower, though erected so late as 1519, is a splendid example of Perpendicular work and in excellent condition; it has double buttresses, relieved by richly decorated canopied niches; over the base mouldings is a band of quatrefoil work with shields bearing various devices, and over the belfry windows is a similar hand; the whole is finished with an elaborately panelled parapet and eight crocketed pinnacles:
on the west tace of the tower are the Royal arms and supporters surmounted by a crown, and on the north and south faces the legend "Thynke, and Thanke God of all."
The builder was one Anthony Ellys, merchant of the staple of Calais, who purchased lands here and built himself a home near the church; the remains of his tomb, on which his armorial bearings were carved, formerly stood in the northeast corner of the chapel adjoining the chancel; his arms appear also on the spandrels of the tower doorway supported by angels :
there are 200 sittings"
DB 19 September 2020