Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Grimsby
 
Grimsby, Albert Gardens
Grimsby, Albert Gardens
Grimsby, Albert Gardens

Grimsby Albert Gardens & Prince Consort Memorial commemorate Albert, Queen Victoria's consort, who died in 1861. It is in the East Marsh area of the town close to the docks.

The memorial was unveiled in 1879 and moved to the Dock Offices at the dock entrance in c.1980.

'Jay Em Jay' Series postcard, posted 1904

Grimsby, Albert Gardens, Prince Consort Memorial
Grimsby, Bull Ring
Grimsby, Bull Ring
Grimsby, Bull Ring
Monochrome reproduction of a painting of 1860.
Grimsby, Bull Ring
Grimsby, Cleethorpe Road
Grimsby, Cleethorpe Road
Grimsby, Cleethorpe Road
Undated postcard of the principal thoroughfare linking the two towns.
Grimsby, Cleethorpes Road
Grimsby, Cleethorpe Road
Grimsby, Cleethorpe Road
Grimsby, Cleethorpe Road
Undated postcard.
Grimsby, Cleethorpes Road
Grimsby, Cleethorpe Road
Grimsby, Cleethorpe Road
Grimsby, Cleethorpe Road
Undated postcard, printed in Germany (almost certainly in the Edwardian period immediately before the First World War).
Grimsby, Cleethorpes Road
Grimsby, Corn Exchange
Grimsby, Corn Exchange
Grimsby, Corn Exchange

The Corn Exchange, erected in 1854 in the Market Place, was a structure of red brick with stone dressings in the Elizabethan style designed by Bellamy & Hardy of Lincoln.

postcard by Rock & Co, from drawing of 1862

Grimsby, corn exchange, Bellamy & Hardy, Rock & Co
Grimsby, Dock Tower
Grimsby, Dock Tower
Grimsby, Dock Tower

The 303 ft dock tower was built in about 1850, in the style of that of Siena town hall.

Originally the tower contained a 33,000 gallon water tank at a height of 200 ft, the head of water providing the hydraulic pressure to operate the dock gates and dockside cranes.

This early use of hydraulics was designed by Newcastle engineer William Armstrong.

The high pressure hydraulic accumulator tower (seen to the left) replaced the original system in 1892.

Frank Robinson, 2010

Grimsby, water tank, Armstrong, hydraulic accumulator,
Grimsby, Dock Tower
Grimsby, Dock Tower
Grimsby, Dock Tower

The splendid dock tower at Grimsby (92.4m high) has been widely admired since its construction in 1851.

Coupled to a steam operated pump it provided a low pressure hydraulic system for operating lock gates and was replaced by the high pressure accumulator tower (23.7m), seen here to the right.

card posted 1906

Grimsby, dock tower
Grimsby, dock tower
Grimsby, dock tower
Grimsby, dock tower

An earlier illustration of the dock tower showing the sea lock alongside.

FCC Series postcard, undated

Grimsby, Dock Tower
Grimsby, Docks
Grimsby, Docks
Grimsby, Docks

This postcard of Grimsby Docks shows the dock tower, the Royal Dock and the fish docks.

On the left is the Royal Dock, which opened in 1852, and was given the name 'Royal' following the visit of Victoria and Albert two years later.

The original fish dock dates from 1856 and a second fish dock was added in 1877 - a later extension to the east being made in 1934 (all to the right in this view).

Out of view is the Alexandra Dock.

Grimsby, fish, tower,
Grimsby, Docks
Grimsby, Docks
Grimsby, Docks

A remarkable image of fish being transported in barrels and crates in the early 20th century.

postcard printed in Germany, 1910

Grimsby, docks
Grimsby, Fish Dock
Grimsby, Fish Dock
Grimsby, Fish Dock

1963: the heyday of the fishing industry has passed; diesel engines have replaced sail and steam and there are far fewer trawlers based in Grimsby.

postcard, 1963

Grimsby, Fish Dock
Grimsby, Freeman Street
Grimsby, Freeman Street
Grimsby, Freeman Street

One of Grimsby's principal shopping streets in the 1960s/70s.

undated postcard, ETW, Dennis Scarborough

Grimsby, Freeman Street
Grimsby, Freeman Street
Grimsby, Freeman Street
Grimsby, Freeman Street

An Edwardian scene of commercial activity.

Jay-em-Jay Series postcard, undated

Grimsby, Freeman Street
Grimsby, Freeman Street
Grimsby, Freeman Street
Grimsby, Freeman Street

Freeman Street was always a lively shopping centre in the Edwardian period.

Jay-em-Jay postcard, undated

Grimsby, Freeman Street
Grimsby, Holme Hill School
Grimsby, Holme Hill School
Grimsby, Holme Hill School

Built in 1876-8 in Gothic style, with a three story clock tower over the main entrance, Holme Hill School is by the architect Charles Bell, who won a nationwide competition for its design.

Frank Robinson, December 2014

Grimsby, Holme Hill School, Charles Bell
Grimsby, Hospital
Grimsby, Hospital
Grimsby, Hospital

The hospital shown opened in 1877 on a site in the West Marsh area of Grimsby.

A new ward was built in 1885, the first of many such additions.  By 1910, an X-ray department had been established.

The hospital continued to adapt, serving the people of Grimsby, Cleethorpes and surrounding area until 1983, when the new Diana Princess of Wales hospital opened in the south of the town.

The old buildings were subsequently demolished to make way for housing.

Postcard, 1905

See: Grimsby: Making the Town  by Alan Dowling

Grimsby, hospital, West Marsh
Grimsby, Hospital
Grimsby, Hospital
Grimsby, Hospital

The same scene as the previous card, but in colour.

The Arcadian Series postcard, 1937

Grimsby, Hospital, Arcadian series
Grimsby, Ice Factory
Grimsby, Ice Factory
Grimsby, Ice Factory

Grimsby Ice Factory, which commenced production in 1901, provided the crushed ice which was required to preserve the catch in Grimsby trawlers during their lengthy journey back from the fishing grounds of the North Sea.

More ice was then needed to pack the fish for its rail journey, for Grimsby fish was widely distributed around Britain.

This photograph shows the east elevation of the factory on Gorton Street.  Conveyors carry ice across the road for direct loading onto trawlers.

Sue Stone, GreatGIFT, 2008

Grimsby, Ice Factory, fishing
Grimsby, Ice Factory
Grimsby, Ice Factory
Grimsby, Ice Factory

The 1901 Ice Factory building has two gables on the Gorton Street elevation constructed in red brick with attractive windows, recesses, arches and other features.

The insertion of ground floor doors, a first floor window and a fire escape detract from the original fine design.

The much faded words THE GRIMSBY ICE COMPANY LTD can still be discerned between the moulded brick bands above the first floor.

Sue Stone, GreatGIFT, 2008

 

Grimsby, Ice Factory, fishing
Grimsby, Ice Factory
Grimsby, Ice Factory
Grimsby, Ice Factory

The tank room on the first floor of the original Ice Factory building.

The two tanks on this floor contained more than 3000 suspended metal cans, each of which held 2 cwt (101kg) of fresh water.

Cooling was achieved by an ammonia gas expansion system powered by vertical valve compressors coupled to 600 bhp induction motors.

Sue Stone, GreatGIFT, 2011

Grimsby, Ice Factory, machinery
Grimsby, Ice Factory
Grimsby, Ice Factory
Grimsby, Ice Factory

A view of the main compressor room which houses four vertical cylinder ammonia compressors manufactured by J&E Hall Ltd of Dartford, driven by Metropolitan Vickers 600 hp induction motors.

These were installed in 1930-34 to replace the original steam-powered plant without disruption to ice production. They are some of the largest ever made and are a unique survival.

Photo: Liz Humble, Purcell Miller Tritton

 

Grimsby, Ice, Fishing
Grimsby, Ice Factory
Grimsby, Ice Factory
Grimsby, Ice Factory

The can-filling equipment simultaneously filled a complete row of cans with a measured quantity of water. The water came from the factory's own fresh water boreholes situated at the dock.

The row of filled cans was then pushed forward in the refrigeration tank by screw-jacks to allow space for a new row of cans which had just been returned empty from the other end of the tank.

Photo: Liz Humble, Purcell Miller Tritton

 

Grimsby, Ice, Fishing
Grimsby, Ice Factory
Grimsby, Ice Factory
Grimsby, Ice Factory

At the end of the tank room a row of ice cans is lying in the tipping cradle where the 100 kg blocks of ice would have been emptied out onto the wooden handling platform before being sent to the crushers or for storage as blocks.

Photo: Liz Humble, Purcell Miller Tritton

Grimsby, Ice, fishing
Grimsby, Lifeboat
Grimsby, Lifeboat
Grimsby, Lifeboat
undated postcard
Grimsby, lifeboat
Grimsby, Lock Hill
Grimsby, Lock Hill
Grimsby, Lock Hill

Painting by G Skelton of the sea lock at Lock Hill, dated 1840.

This was prior to the major development of the port of Grimsby and the creation of the docks in the mid-Victorian period.

undated postcard, published by Doughty Museum

Grimsby, Lock Hill, G Skelton
Grimsby, Old Market Place
Grimsby, Old Market Place
Grimsby, Old Market Place

The Market Place with the tower of the parish church of St James in view.

On the extreme right foreground is the entrance ot the Corn Exhange.

Reliable Series postcard, 1905

Grimsby, Old Market Place, Reliable Series
Grimsby, Old Market Place
Grimsby, Old Market Place
Grimsby, Old Market Place

The small traingular Market Place is viewed looking west from the end of Bethlehem Street.

The tall building ahead on the right with the prominent quoins is the Corn Exchange, now demolished.

Valentine postcard, undated

Grimsby, Old Market Place, corn exchange, Valentine
Grimsby, People's Park
Grimsby, People's Park
Grimsby, People's Park

The park is still a valued recreation area, with improvements including a new pavilion being made in 2009.

Valentine postcard, undated


Grimsby, People's Park
Grimsby, People's Park
Grimsby, People's Park
Grimsby, People's Park

People's Park in Grimsby was officially opened in 1883.

The 27 acres of land were a gift to the council from Edward Heneage of Hainton, a prominent landowner, who was influential in the town's development.

Undated postcard

Grimsby, Edward Heneage, People's Park
Grimsby, People's Park
Grimsby, People's Park
Grimsby, People's Park

People's Park in Grimsby was officially opened on 17 August 1883.

The 27 acres of land were a gift to the council from Edward Heneage of Hainton, a prominent landowner, who was influential in the town's development.

Undated postcard

Grimsby, Edward Heneage, People's Park
Grimsby, People's Park, Lodge & Gates
Grimsby, People's Park, Lodge & Gates
Grimsby, People's Park, Lodge & Gates

This view - and the variations shown in the two images which follow -  was a popular subject for Grimsby postcards in the Edwardian period.

Peacock Brand postcard, 1911

Grimsby, Park Gates and Lodge
Grimsby, People's Park, Lodge & Gates
Grimsby, People's Park, Lodge & Gates
Grimsby, People's Park, Lodge & Gates

The park keeper's lodge was part of William Barron's original design for the park.

It was demolished in 1992 and replaced by a chalet style house.

The Artistic Series postcard, 1911

Grimsby, Park Lodge, William Barron
Grimsby, People's Park, Lodge & Gates
Grimsby, People's Park, Lodge & Gates
Grimsby, People's Park, Lodge & Gates

The entrance gates, made of cast iron, were erected in 1884 and demolished in 1943 as part of the war effort.

They marked the entrance from Park Drive.

Grimsby, People's park entrance, Park Drive
Grimsby, PS Lincoln Castle
Grimsby, PS Lincoln Castle
Grimsby, PS Lincoln Castle

View of Alexandra Dock at Grimsby showing the destruction of the PS Lincoln Castle at the stage reached on 15 October 2010.

The vessel was built on the Clyde in 1940 by A & J Inglis and was taken out of service in 1978.

It was the last coal-fired paddle steamer in regular service.

Chris Lester, 2010

Grimsby, paddle steamer, Inglis, bridge, Alexandra Dock,
Grimsby, Railway Station, first train 1848
Grimsby, Railway Station, first train 1848
Grimsby, Railway Station, first train 1848

An engraving depicting the first train reaching Grimsby on the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway in 1848.

This appeared in the Illustrated London News

Grimsby, railway station first train 1848
Grimsby, royal visit
Grimsby, royal visit
Grimsby, royal visit

King George V & Queen Mary visited Grimsby on the morning of 22 July 1912 prior to the opening of Immingham Docks the same day.

postcard by J. S. Bullen of Grimsby

Grimsby, royal visit, George V
Grimsby, Royal Dock
Grimsby, Royal Dock
Grimsby, Royal Dock

Grimsby Royal Dock was built by the Manchester Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway in 1846-52. Its area is approximately 20 acres (8 Ha).

The quay walls are constructed as series of brick and stone arches to withstand the pressure of the weak alluvial soil.

F. C. C. Series of Hull posted 1912

Grimsby, Royal Dock
Grimsby, Royal Dock
Grimsby, Royal Dock
Grimsby, Royal Dock

Vessels in the Royal Dock decorated to celebrate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897.

postcard

Grimsby, Royal Dock, Diamond Jubilee
Grimsby, Royal Dock, construction in 1850
Grimsby, Royal Dock, construction in 1850
Grimsby, Royal Dock, construction in 1850
A monochrome reproduction of J W Carmichael's painting of the construction of the Royal Dock in 1850. (The original is at the Institute of Civil Engineers.)
Grimsby, Royal Dock construction, J W Carmichael
Grimsby, Royal Hotel
Grimsby, Royal Hotel
Grimsby, Royal Hotel

The Royal Hotel on Cleethorpe Road.

LNER postcard, c.1905

Grimsby, Royal Hotel
Grimsby, Scottish Kipper Gang
Grimsby, Scottish Kipper Gang
Grimsby, Scottish Kipper Gang

Smoked herring - kippers - were a major product of Grimsby.

Census records reveal how far from Grimsby some workers originated; many were from Scotland.

Grimsby, Scottish kipper gang
Grimsby, Smethurst Memorial
Grimsby, Smethurst Memorial
Grimsby, Smethurst Memorial

Henry Smethurst owned the largest fleet of fishing smacks in Grimsby in the late nineteenth century; he was twice Mayor of the town and a leading Primitive Methodist.

This memorial was created by R W Ray of Grimsby and since 1892 has stood in the People's Park.

Grimsby, Henry Smethurst memorial, R W Ray
Grimsby, St James
Grimsby, St James
Grimsby, St James

The grand scale of St James’, viewed here from the south, reflects the prosperity of medieval Grimsby.

The church comprises nave, chancel, transepts, N and S chapels and an imposing central tower in Perpendicular style.

The spacious interior has a 13th century nave with six-bay arcades, and an arched passageway above.   Much 19th and 20th century restoration has taken place – some following the bomb damage of WW2.

April 2011

Grimsby, St James church
Grimsby, St James
Grimsby, St James
Grimsby, St James

A view of St James's Church from the south-east.

Some of the construction immediately in front of the camera and along the south elevation is 20th century restoration following bomb damage of WW2.

April 2011

Grimsby, St James church, bomb damage
Grimsby, St James
Grimsby, St James
Grimsby, St James
Tuck postcard from the 1950s with view from the south-east.
Grimsby, St James
Grimsby, St James
Grimsby, St James
Grimsby, St James

This view from the south-east should be compared to the previous images of later dates.

Valentine postcard, 1904

Grimsby, St James
Grimsby, St James
Grimsby, St James
Grimsby, St James

View from the south-west.

Valentine postcard, 1951

Grimsby, St James, Valentine
Grimsby, St James, interior
Grimsby, St James, interior
Grimsby, St James, interior

A view of the interior of St Jasmes's from thre south transept. The south aisle stretches ahead to the left, the nave to the right.

The unusual clerestory is clearly seen above the nave.

postcard, 1918

Grimsby, St James church, interior
Grimsby, Synagogue
Grimsby, Synagogue
Grimsby, Synagogue

Many Eastern European immigrants passed through Grimsby in the late 19th century. Some, however, stayed, and the Jewish population of the town increased.

The Sir Moses Montefiore Synagogue was consecrated in 1888 and was built ‘in a Byzantine style’ on land given by Edward Heneage MP.

Frank Robinson, December 2014

Grimsby, synagogue, Sir Moses Montefiore, Edward Heneage
Grimsby, The Pontoon
Grimsby, The Pontoon
Grimsby, The Pontoon

Fish laid out prior to selling.

Jay-em-Jay postcard, c.1905

Grimsby, The Pontoon
Grimsby, The Pontoon
Grimsby, The Pontoon
Grimsby, The Pontoon

Fish laid out prior to selling.

Jay-em-Jay postcard, 1916


Grimsby, The Pontoon
Grimsby, The Pontoon
Grimsby, The Pontoon
Grimsby, The Pontoon

Fish laid out prior to selling.

postcard, c.1905


Grimsby, The Pontoon
Grimsby, The Old Queen's Head
Grimsby, The Old Queen's Head
Grimsby, The Old Queen's Head

The Queen's Head was in Victoria Street.

Illustration dated 1870

Grimsby, The Old Queen's head
Grimsby, The Ropery
Grimsby, The Ropery
Grimsby, The Ropery

The Ropery and Ropery Houses, depicted here in 1847, were at one time the meeting place of the port's Catholics.

postcard published by the Doughty Museum

Grimsby, The Ropery
Grimsby, Town Hall
Grimsby, Town Hall
Grimsby, Town Hall
The Town Hall built in 1780 in the Old Market Place. Illustration dated 1820.
Grimsby, Town Hall
Grimsby, Town Hall
Grimsby, Town Hall
Grimsby, Town Hall

Grimsby's present Town Hall was built in 1863 at a cost of £11,000. The architects were Bellamy and Hardy of Lincoln.

Valentine postcard, 1904

Grimsby, Town Hall, Bellamy and Hardy, Valentine
Grimsby, Town Hall
Grimsby, Town Hall
Grimsby, Town Hall

View of the Town Hall from the west. It is constructed in white brick and stone in an Italianate style.

postcard printed in Germany, 1908

Grimsby, Town Hall
Grimsby, Tram
Grimsby, Tram
Grimsby, Tram
One of Grimsby's more modern trams. This vehicle was acquired from Sunderland Corporation in 1933.
Grimsby, tram, Sunderland
Grimsby, tram
Grimsby, tram
Grimsby, tram
In the late 1930s trams were gradually replaced by trolley buses.
Grimsby, tram
Grimsby, Trams, opening day 1901
Grimsby, Trams, opening day 1901
Grimsby, Trams, opening day 1901
On 7 December 1901 horse trams operating in Grimsby and Cleethorpes were replaced by an extended electrified system.
Grimsby, tram opening day 1902
Grimsby, Victoria Mills
Grimsby, Victoria Mills
Grimsby, Victoria Mills

The 8-storey Victoria Mills was built as a grain store in 1889 and is flanked by buildings of 1906, now converted to flats.

Corporation Bridge is an electrically operated lift bridge built in 1925.

The PS Lincoln Castle was a coal-fired paddle steamer which operated for many years as a Humber ferry between Hull and New Holland.

It was scrapped by its owner in 2010.

Frank Robinson, 2010

Grimsby, paddle steamer, bridge, Alexandra Dock,
Grimsby, Victoria Street
Grimsby, Victoria Street
Grimsby, Victoria Street

Victoria Street is one of the principal streets in the town.

undated postcard

Grimsby, Victoria Street
Grimsby, wagon
Grimsby, wagon
Grimsby, wagon

Based on the evidence of the postmark, this postcard shows a group from the Grimsby area. It is undated and the message on the card reads 'Taken yesterday by George. I hope I don't get too fat.'

The flat-bed wagon was a general purpose vehicle, probably used by a tradesman.

Grimsby, wagon
Grimsby, War Memorial
Grimsby, War Memorial
Grimsby, War Memorial

Grimsby's First World War Memorial or Cenotaph stands at the junction of Bargate and Eastwood Avenue.

It cost £2500 and was unveiled on 18 December 1921.

Valentine Photo Brown Series postcard

Grimsby, war memorial