Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Harrington
 
Harrington Hall
Harrington Hall
Harrington Hall

Harrington Hall has Tudor origins, but was extensively rebuilt in the 17th century and more recently restored following the serious fire of 1991.

Tennyson visited here, and recalled Harrington in his poem ‘Maud’.

The house is privately owned and the gardens are no longer opened to the public.

Frank Robinson, 2011

Harringto Hall, Tennyson, Maud
Harrington Hall
Harrington Hall
Harrington Hall

A serious fire gutted Harrington Hall on 7 November 1991. 20 fire crews attended. The interior of the Hall suffered most.

This photograph was taken the following year when restoration work had commenced.

T R Leach Collection, 1992

Harrington, Hall, fire
Harrington Hall
Harrington Hall
Harrington Hall

This photograph pre-dates the fire.

T R leach Collection

Harrington, Hall
Harrington Hall
Harrington Hall
Harrington Hall

The sundial dated 1681 is on the porch and over the door midway along the west front. The Hall is said to have been built for its owner Vincent Amcotts in 1673.

T R Leach Collection, 1992

Harrington, Hall, Vincent Amcotts
Harrington, St Mary
Harrington, St Mary
Harrington, St Mary

View from the south-east. The colour of the greenstone is bleached in the sun in this photograph.

Peter Kirk Collection, 1990

Harrington, St Mary
Harrington, St Mary
Harrington, St Mary
Harrington, St Mary

The base of the tower and the tower arch of St Mary’s are 13th century.  The rest of the building is the work of  S S Teulon, who rebuilt the church in 1854-5.

Inside is an effigy of a 14th century knight and impressive memorials from the 15th century onwards, to members of the Copledyke and  Amcotts families.

September 2006


Harrington, St Mary
Harrington, St Mary, memorial
Harrington, St Mary, memorial
Harrington, St Mary, memorial

An alabaster monument to Francis Copledyck who died in 1599.

Mark Acton, 2017

Harrington, St Mary, memorial, Francis Copledyck