Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Holton le Moor
 
Holton le Moor, Hall
Holton le Moor, Hall
Holton le Moor, Hall

This house was built for Thomas Dixon in the 1780s by John Warmer, a builder.

The principal elevation of the house, the south front, has five bays and three floors.

In the centre is a porch with fluted Doric columns and open pediment.

Hugh D Martineau, c.1980

Holton le Moor, Thomas Dixon, Doric
Holton le Moor, Old School
Holton le Moor, Old School
Holton le Moor, Old School

A National School was first provided by the Dixon family in 1858. It was replaced by this building, which was designed by H G Gamble, in 1913.

The decorated gable of what was latterly St Luke's CE Aided Primary School carries the patriotic message 'Live for God & King & Country'.

The school closed in 2006.

May 2016

Holton le Moor, primary school, H G Gamble, Dixon
Holton le Moor, Old School
Holton le Moor, Old School
Holton le Moor, Old School

The main elevation of the school building faces south into an open parkland area leading to the Church and Hall.

May 2016

Holton le Moor,
Holton le Moor, Old School
Holton le Moor, Old School
Holton le Moor, Old School

Slate memorial plaque to mark the opening of the new building in 1914 by the Bishop of Lincoln.

May 2016

Holton le Moor,
Holton le Moor, St Luke
Holton le Moor, St Luke
Holton le Moor, St Luke

This very peculiar looking church was partially rebuilt by George Place in 1854 and enlarged by Gamble in 1926.

May 2016

 

Holton le Moor, St Luke
Holton le Moor, St Luke
Holton le Moor, St Luke
Holton le Moor, St Luke

The nave of the original church was rebuilt by Place in 1854 to create this south aisle.

As can be seen, the nave was not extended to form a chancel as planned, though a large Perpendicular window was inserted in the east wall.

May 2016

Holton le Moor, St Luke
Holton le Moor, St Luke
Holton le Moor, St Luke
Holton le Moor, St Luke

One of the bells in the bell-cote is possibly the original one dated 1634.

May 2017

Holton le Moor, St Luke
Holton le Moor, St Luke, font
Holton le Moor, St Luke, font
Holton le Moor, St Luke, font

The font dates from the restoration of 1926 and incorporates cable moulding dating from the late Saxon or early Norman period.

May 2016

Holton le Moor, St Luke, font
Holton le Moor, St Luke, interior
Holton le Moor, St Luke, interior
Holton le Moor, St Luke, interior

The pews were brought from the redundant church of St Andrew, Lincoln in the 1970s.

The altar table was constructed by the estate joiner G W Saunby.

The Perpendicular style east window dates from 1926.

May 2016

Holton le Moor, St Luke, interior
Holton le Moor, St Luke, interior
Holton le Moor, St Luke, interior
Holton le Moor, St Luke, interior

The walls of the south chapel have stencil decoration and texts created as part of the 1926 alterations introduced by Gamble.

May 2016

Holton le Moor, St Luke, interior
Holton le Moor, St Luke, south doorway
Holton le Moor, St Luke, south doorway
Holton le Moor, St Luke, south doorway

The south doorway is late Saxon or early Norman and was widened by Place in 1854. It has chamfered imposts and a tympanum.

May 2016

Holton le Moor, St Luke, doorway