Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Horncastle
 
Dixon, Annie - Artist
Dixon, Annie - Artist
Dixon, Annie - Artist

Blue plaque unveiled, July 2018, at 40 East Street, Horncastle where Annie once lived.

https://www.horncastlenews.co.uk/news/society-honours-a-forgotten-royal-favourite-1-8570969 

DB 19 December 2018

Horncastle, Annie Dixon, Artist
Dixon, Annie - Artist
Dixon, Annie - Artist
Dixon, Annie - Artist

Blue Plaque at 40 East Street, Horncastle.

Blue Plaque at 40 East Street, Horncastle.

Annie Dixon (1817-1901) was a 19th-century English miniature portrait painter. She moved from Horncastle to London in 1840 and studied under Sir William Charles Ross.

She returned to Hormcastle briefly between 1844 and 1845 and later spent time in Hull (1852-53) and the Isle of Wight (1854-55). From 1859, she was commissioned for numerous royal portraits by Queen Victoria.

She exhibited at the Royal Academy from 1844 to 1893.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annie_Dixon 

DB 19 December 2018 

Horncastle, Annie Dixon, Artist
Harrison, Edward - physician
Harrison, Edward - physician
Harrison, Edward - physician

Edward Harrison's home and base for his medical practice in West Street.

September 2016

Horncastle, William Harrison, West Street
Harrison, Edward - physician
Harrison, Edward - physician
Harrison, Edward - physician

Edward Harrison (1766-1838), born in Lancashire, practised as a physician in Horncastle for 30 years. He founded the Horncastle dispensary and the Lincolnshire Medical Benevolent Society.

He also founded the first infirmary for spinal diseases in London and was a notable advocate for medical reform on the national scene.

September 2016

Horncastle, Edward Harrison,
Horncastle, Anglo Saxon coin pendant
Horncastle, Anglo Saxon coin pendant
Horncastle, Anglo Saxon coin pendant

This pendant was discovered near Horncastle in 2012, and its unorthodox appearance is due to its long history of reuse.

Although the pendant is 6th or 7th Century in date, its life began as a coin in Iron Age Gaul.  The coin was minted in c.70-60BC by the Suessiones tribe.

A male portrait with a strong nose and wavy hair is still clearly visible; on the reverse, the original lion motif is now less so.

We cannot know what happened between the coin’s original manufacture and its Anglo Saxon conversion into a pendant, or at what point it entered Lincolnshire, but it was converted through gilding and the addition of a suspension loop and three collets containing inset glass and garnets.

Courtesy of Lincolnshire County Council, The Collection

Horncastle, Anglo Saxon coin pendant, Suessiones tribe, lion motif
Horncastle, British School
Horncastle, British School
Horncastle, British School

British School on South Street, Horncastle, dates from 1814.

It was later used as a drill hall and is now one of the many antiques centres in the town.

Children of non-conformist families attended the school which used the Lancaster system of teaching.

Pearl Wheatley, 2010

Horncastle, British School, South Street, Lancaster,
Horncastle, Bull Ring
Horncastle, Bull Ring
Horncastle, Bull Ring

View of the Bull Ring looking northwards from the Town Bridge (over the river Waring).

This was one of the areas of the town taken over by the huge horse fair during the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

Postcard, 1910

Horncastle, Bull Ring, Horse Fair, Town Bridge,
Horncastle, Canal Warehouses
Horncastle, Canal Warehouses
Horncastle, Canal Warehouses

Both rivers in the town – the Bain and the Waring – supplied water for industry and were also canalised for use by boats of shallow draft.

Industries grew up along the banks of both rivers (canal basins) and there were several warehouses, such as these at off West Street, for wool, grain, timber and leather.

Horncastle, canal warehouses
Horncastle, College
Horncastle, College
Horncastle, College

The former children's home on Mareham Road became site of Horncastle Residential College in 1969.

The former family 'cottage' buildings were adapted as bedroom accommodation. A new dining and classroom block was built including this 12-sided lecture hall - later named the David Robinson Hall after the long-serving College Governor and tutor.

February 2010

 

Horncastle, College, David Robinson
Horncastle, Fatstock Market
Horncastle, Fatstock Market
Horncastle, Fatstock Market

Horncastle, in the centre of a large mixed farming area, has had a cattle market for centuries.

The fatstock market was held on the Wong adjoining South Street.

Most of the beast bought and sold were Lincoln Red cattle and Lincolnshire Longwool sheep.

Photograph, 1912

Horncastle, fatstock market
Horncastle, Fighting Cocks public house
Horncastle, Fighting Cocks public house
Horncastle, Fighting Cocks public house

At the eastern end of West Street, the Fighting Cooks, a public house with a long history.

Like other old inns in the town it had plenty of stabling for patrons as well as the carriers who travelled to and from villages to the west of Horncastle.

undated postcard

Horncastle, Fighting Cocks public house
Horncastle, Fighting Cocks public house
Horncastle, Fighting Cocks public house
Horncastle, Fighting Cocks public house

A second view of the Fighting Cocks which appeared to be closed.

DB 19 December 2018

Horncastle, Fighting Cocks, Public House
Horncastle, Grain Warehouse
Horncastle, Grain Warehouse
Horncastle, Grain Warehouse

The former grain warehouse of Harrison and Son is almost the last surviving structure connected with the nearby terminus of the Horncastle Railway Station which was closed in 1971.

The warehouse has 3 stories and retains hoists and a wooden canopy.

John Turner, 2002

Horncastle, warehouse, railway station, Harrison,
Horncastle, Grammar School
Horncastle, Grammar School
Horncastle, Grammar School

Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School, West Street, Horncastle.

In 1908 the school moved to West Street a short while after the first admission of girls.

The facade of the original building alongside the main drive and facing West Street remains unchanged.

Pearl Wheatley

Horncastle, Grammar School, West Street,
Horncastle, Grammar School
Horncastle, Grammar School
Horncastle, Grammar School

Decorative pediment over the south elevation of the original 1908 Grammar School building at Horncastle.

Two of the images commonly associated with the town are featured: the horn over the castle (as used in their emblems by the school and the town council) and the grid-iron - symbol of St Lawrence.

The famous horse fair in the town was granted to start on his feast day.

The structure on the roof is part of the original ventilation system.

Ken Redmore, 2010

Horncastle, Grammar School, St Lawrence, Horse Fair,
Horncastle, Grammar School
Horncastle, Grammar School
Horncastle, Grammar School

Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School, West Street, Horncastle.

In 1908 the school moved to West Street a short while after the first admission of girls.

As shown here, the facade of the original building alongside the main drive and facing West Street remains unchanged.

February 2010

Horncastle, Grammar School
Horncastle, High Street
Horncastle, High Street
Horncastle, High Street

This Edwardian photograph gives a view westwards along High Street towards the Market Place.

On the left in the forground is the Corn Exchange, later converted into the Victory cinema.

On the right before the Market Place is Joseph Banks's house, with the "drum clock" attached at first floor level.

Horncastle, High Street, Corn exchange, Victory cinema, Joseph Banks, drum clock,
Horncastle, Holmes’s Mill (1)
Horncastle, Holmes’s Mill (1)
Horncastle, Holmes’s Mill (1)

One of five windmills in the town, milling began here on the Spilsby Road in 1843.

Jon Sass Collection, undated photograph

Horncastle, Holmes Mill, windmill, Jon Sass
Horncastle, Holmes’s Mill (2)
Horncastle, Holmes’s Mill (2)
Horncastle, Holmes’s Mill (2)

The five sails on Holmes's Mill were removed in 1916 and it continued to work by steam power until the 1940s.

Location of mill: TF 266 696

Peter Kirk Collection, 1998
Horncastle, Holmes Mill, windmill, Peter Kirk
Horncastle, Holmes’s Mill (3)
Horncastle, Holmes’s Mill (3)
Horncastle, Holmes’s Mill (3)

Mill machinery - including the iron cross for the five sails - which originated from Spital Hill Mill, Gainsborough,

Peter Kirk Collection, 1998

 

Horncastle, Holmes Mill, windmill, Peter Kirk
Horncastle, Holy Trinity
Horncastle, Holy Trinity
Horncastle, Holy Trinity

Holy Trinity was built as a chapel of ease to St Mary by Stephen Lewin in 1847.

It is a large church built in yellow brick laid in English bond and in Early English style. The building has chancel, tall clerestoried nave, aisles and a western bellcote.

Declared redundant in 1979, it is currently in use as an antique centre.

May 2015

Horncastle, Holy Trinity church, Stephen Lewin
Horncastle, Holy Trinity, corbel
Horncastle, Holy Trinity, corbel
Horncastle, Holy Trinity, corbel

The chancel arch is supported by large ornate corbels carved with coats of arms, fruit and foliage.

May 2015

Horncastle, Holy Trinity church, corbel
Horncastle, Holy Trinity, East Window
Horncastle, Holy Trinity, East Window
Horncastle, Holy Trinity, East Window

The impressive east end has three tall thin lancet windows each flanked by shafts with carved foliage above.

May 2015

Horncastle, Holy Trinity, window
Horncastle, Holy Trinity, East Window
Horncastle, Holy Trinity, East Window
Horncastle, Holy Trinity, East Window

A second view of the East Window.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"The chapel of ease of the Holy Trinity, erected in 1847-8, partly from a legacy of £500, bequeathed for that purpose by Dr. Clement Madely, vicar from 1802, is a building in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an open western belfry containing one bell:

a new organ was placed in the church in 1887 and considerable improvements were effected at the same time :

three memorial windows and a reredos of Caen stone were erected in 1895:

the church affords 300 sittings"

DB 19 December 2018

Horncastle, Holy Trinity, church
Horncastle, Holy Trinity, Nave
Horncastle, Holy Trinity, Nave
Horncastle, Holy Trinity, Nave

"Chapel of Ease, now redundant. 1847. Stephen Lewin"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1262706

Became redundant in 1972 and was Initially converted into a community and tourist information centre.

From 2002 it became an antiques shop.

https://www.horncastlenews.co.uk/news/antiques-shop-go-ahead-for-trinity-centre-1-846799

DB 19 December 2018

Horncastle, Holy Trinity, church
Horncastle, Holy Trinity, Nave, Font
Horncastle, Holy Trinity, Nave, Font
Horncastle, Holy Trinity, Nave, Font

Holy Trinity Church became redundant in 1972 and has now been converted into the Trinity Centre selling antiques and collectables.

Image shows the font still hiding among the antiques.  

"Font with 8 squat shafts with ornate capitals which support 8 elongated trefoil headed arches with chip star decoratioin, spandrels rise up and merge with round bowl"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1262706 

DB 19 December 2018

Horncastle, Holy Trinity, church, font
Horncastle, Holy Trinity, Nave, Plaque
Horncastle, Holy Trinity, Nave, Plaque
Horncastle, Holy Trinity, Nave, Plaque

Holy Trinity Church was declared redundant in 1972 and was initially converted into a community and tourist information centre.

Plaque which is located at the west end of the nave refers to this phase in the building's use 

Building subsequently converted into the Trinity Centre selling antiques and collectables 2002.

https://www.horncastlenews.co.uk/news/antiques-shop-go-ahead-for-trinity-centre-1-846799

DB 19 December 2018

Horncastle, Holy Trinity, church
Horncastle, Holy Trinity, Nave, West Window
Horncastle, Holy Trinity, Nave, West Window
Horncastle, Holy Trinity, Nave, West Window

"Church interior with west window decorated with chip star bands, nook shafts, hood mould and head label stops"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1262706 

DB 19 December 2018

Horncastle, Holy Trinity, church
Horncastle, Horse Fair
Horncastle, Horse Fair
Horncastle, Horse Fair

Horncastle's August Horse Fair was said to be the largest in Europe.

It is thought to originate in the 13th century; the last was held in 1948.

During the nineteenth century the fair lasted for a fortnight and hudred of horses of all ytpes were sold.

from an engraving of 1865 by Sheldon Williams

Horncastle, Horse Fair, Sheldon Williams
Horncastle, Market Place
Horncastle, Market Place
Horncastle, Market Place

This undated (pre-1866) painting by E Roberts shows the Old Vicarage at the end of the Market Place with edge of the Punch House showing on the extreme left.

The Market Place contained a series of small shops and shacks, shown here on the right, which were cleared away in 1862.

This view shows (on the extreme right foreground) the north side of the High Street frontage leading into the Market Place.

Courtesy Pearl Wheatley

Horncastle, Market Place, E Roberts, painting, Punch House, Old Vicarage,
Horncastle, Market Place
Horncastle, Market Place
Horncastle, Market Place

View at the turn of the century of the Market Place looking east towards High Street.

The main area of the Market Place is laid to granite setts, many of which remain today, a tribute to their durability.

postcard, 1905

Horncastle, Market Place, granite setts
Horncastle, National School
Horncastle, National School
Horncastle, National School

The National School in Manor House Street, Horncastle, was founded in 1814 and is now the Community Centre for the town.

This was a Church of England establishment, close to the parish church and with the head teacher's house attached.

The original building was enlarged and a separate classroom built for boys.

Pearl Wheatley, 2010

Horncastle, National School, Community Centre, Manor House Street,
Horncastle, Old Dispensary
Horncastle, Old Dispensary
Horncastle, Old Dispensary

This Dispensary was opened in 1789 and offered 'Medical aid to the Poor'.

It was one of the first such establishments in Lincolnshire and was sponsored by Sir Joseph Banks. It was in use until 1866.

O.S. Grid Ref. TF25851 69508

Kathy Holland, 2013

Horncastle, dispensary, Joseph Banks
Horncastle, Old Grammar School
Horncastle, Old Grammar School
Horncastle, Old Grammar School

Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School, Horncastle, is known to have existed in the 14th century when, no doubt, it would be in the church of St. Mary.

At its refounding in 1571 a new school was built south of the church.

In 1778 this was replaced close by with a new building which still survives.

Ken Redmore, 2010

Horncastle, Old Grammar School,
Horncastle, Old Wesleyan School
Horncastle, Old Wesleyan School
Horncastle, Old Wesleyan School

Wesleyan Methodist School, 1859, Foundry Street, Horncastle. It is now a garage.

Methodists supported the British School until they decided to educate their own children.

The premises were formerly a foundry and they were adapted for a general classroom, an infants' room and a playground.

Pearl Wheatley, 2010

Horncastle, Old Wesleyan School, Foundry Street,
Horncastle, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Horncastle, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Horncastle, Primitive Methodist Chapel

The former Primitive Methodist chapel at the end of Prospect Street close to West Street was opened in 1854 and closed in 1961.

It was the third Primitive Methodist chapel to be built in the town.

April 2014

Horncastle, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Horncastle, River Waring
Horncastle, River Waring
Horncastle, River Waring

The River Waring rises a few miles to the north-east in Fulletby parish.

It was canalised along this stretch to form a limb of the Horncastle-Tattershall canal, known as the South Basin.

On the left-hand side (north) is Wharf Road, once the location of several warehouses and other businesses using water transport for the movement of goods.

Postcard, 1911

Horncastle, River Waring, Wharf Road, Horncastle Canal,
Horncastle, Roman ceremic head
Horncastle, Roman ceremic head
Horncastle, Roman ceremic head

This finely detailed ceramic head, discovered near Horncastle, may once have been part of a statuette, though sadly we now cannot tell who it depicts – whether mortal or goddess.

The angle of the neck suggests that the figure was moving, perhaps in the process of performing in some way, though the expression on her face is serene.

Traces of paint and plaster still survive, giving an impression of how vibrant and lifelike the statuette originally was.

Courtesy of Lincolnshire County Council, The Collection

Horncastle, ceramic head, statuette,
Horncastle, St Mary
Horncastle, St Mary
Horncastle, St Mary

Known as the oldest standing building in Horncastle, the Church dates back to the 13th century.

The Church illustrates three architectural styles, Early English, Perpendicular and Victorian when it underwent extensive restoration in the nineteenth century.

O.S Grid Ref. TF 25855 69555

Kathy Holland, 2013

Horncastle, St Mary church
Horncastle, St Mary
Horncastle, St Mary
Horncastle, St Mary

View of St Mary's from the north-east.

The chancel was rebuilt by Ewan Christian in about 1860 in which he is said to have modelled the east window on the one at Haltham.

The north chapel seen here is Perpendicular in style, with fine four-light windows and ornate battlements.

postcard, c.1920

Horncastle, St Mary Church, Ewan Christian
Horncastle, St Mary Square
Horncastle, St Mary Square
Horncastle, St Mary Square

St Mary's Sqaure leading to the churchyard to the sourh-west of the church, is much photographed.

postcard based on painting by David Cuppleditch, c.1980

Horncastle, St Mary Square, David Cuppleditch
Horncastle, St Mary, Chancel
Horncastle, St Mary, Chancel
Horncastle, St Mary, Chancel

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states 

"The church of St. Mary is a building of stone, chiefly in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of large chancel with aisles, nave of four bays, aisles, north and south porches, vestry and an exceedingly massive embattled western tower, with spire, containing 6 bells and a clock:

the nave appears to belong to the earlier half of the 14th century, with a clerestory added in the 15th century; the chancel  is of about the same age as the nave, but the north aisle or chantry is later; the earliest remaining portion of the "Edifice is comprised in the arches and piers supporting the tower, which date from the latter part of the 13th century:

the organ was rebuilt, at a cost of £2,000, through the munificence of Henry J. Fielding esq. and contains three manuals, a fine pedal organ, 45 stops and upwards of 2,500 pipes:

the reredos is of Caen stone, elegantly carved :

the eagle lectern was the gift of the Misses Walter, in memory of their father, who was churchwarden; the ancient carved screens have been re-erected in the chancel, which retains a piscina and a barred hagioscope :

the east window is a memorial to the late Rev. H. Milner, some time vicar of Horncastle; and there are others to the Rev. Robert Giles, a former vicar, to Mr. F. Harwood, Mrs. Fox, the Rev. Arthur Scrivenor M.A. vicar 1872-82, the Rev. Edwin Fowler Quarrington M.A. vicar here I882-1900, Mr. Robert Clitherow, and the Hon. Mrs. Stanhope:

in the north aisle is a mural brass, on a slab of Purbeck marble, to Sir Lionel Dymoke kt. ob. 1519, with kneeling figures of himself, two sons (now lost) and three daughters:

the lower portion of the plate with the figures of the sons was palimpsest, and a rubbing of this fragment is in the collection of the Soc. Antiq. Lond. :

on the pavement is another brass representing the body of Sir Lionel in a shroud, with two scrolls and an inscribed brass below:

in the north chancel aisle is a hatchment with arms to Sir Ingram Hopton kt. killed at Winceby, Oct. 11, 1643:

in the south aisle is a memorial, reproduced with much care from the original painting on the south arcade wall( to Thomas Gibson A.M. 44 years vicar of this parish, ob. 1678, with a shield of arms:

the north aisle was rebuilt in 1820 and the south in 1821:

the church was thoroughly restored in 1860, under the direction of the late Mr. Ewan Christian, architect; the chancel, at the cost of the late James Banks Stanhope esq. of Revesby Abbey, and the rest by subscription; the work included the refitting of the interior with open oak benches -and the fixing of a new oak roof the total cost being about £4,000:

there are nearly 700 sittings"

DB 19 December 2018

Horncastle, Saint Mary, Church, chancel
Horncastle, St Mary, Chancel, East Window
Horncastle, St Mary, Chancel, East Window
Horncastle, St Mary, Chancel, East Window

"large, pointed 5 light window of 1861 with flowing tracery based on the east window of Haltam on Bain"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1168259 

DB 19 December 2018

Horncastle, Saint Mary, Church, chancel, east window
Horncastle, St Mary, Chancel, South Aisle
Horncastle, St Mary, Chancel, South Aisle
Horncastle, St Mary, Chancel, South Aisle

Looking east.

DB 19 December 2018

Horncastle, Saint Mary, Church, south aisle
Horncastle, St Mary, Nave
Horncastle, St Mary, Nave
Horncastle, St Mary, Nave

View looking east towards the chancel.

"The building is dominated by three architectural styles:

*Early English as seen in the five-bay nave arcade (the upper sections of which were re-built in 1859-61), internal tower arch with pointed head and western-facing lancet windows, with their moulded string courses.

*Perpendicular as evident in the north and south chancel chapels and nave clerestory, with its five 15th century windows.

*Victorian restoration seen especially in the east window, chancel arch, nave aisles, porches and vestry office. The floor level at the east end of the church was raised in height by two feet during the 1859-61 restoration, in order to accommodate the central heating system"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Mary%27s_Church,_Horncastle 

DB 19 December 2018

Horncastle, Saint Mary, Church
Horncastle, St Mary, Nave
Horncastle, St Mary, Nave
Horncastle, St Mary, Nave

View looking west towards the tower arch.

"tower arch of c.1200 with triple chamfered, pointed head which dies into roll moulded jambs, central jamb on each side with fillet"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1168259 

DB 19 December 2018

Horncastle, Saint Mary, Church, Nave
Horncastle, St Mary, Nave Roof
Horncastle, St Mary, Nave Roof
Horncastle, St Mary, Nave Roof

"Roofs of 1861 supported on stone angle corbels in chancel and wooden angel corbels in nave"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1168259

DB 19 December 2018

Horncastle, Saint Mary, Church, Nave, Roof
Horncastle, St Mary, Nave, Font
Horncastle, St Mary, Nave, Font
Horncastle, St Mary, Nave, Font

C19 octagonal stone font.

DB 19 December 2018

Horncastle, Saint Mary, Church, font
Horncastle, St Mary, Nave, Hatchment
Horncastle, St Mary, Nave, Hatchment
Horncastle, St Mary, Nave, Hatchment

"Hatchment recently repainted, to Sir Ingram Hopton, who was killed at Battle of Winceby, 1643"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1168259

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Winceby

Hanging below the west tower arch. 

DB 19 December 2018

Horncastle, Saint Mary, Church, Sir Ingram Hopton, Battle of Winceby
Horncastle, St Mary, Nave, Pulpit
Horncastle, St Mary, Nave, Pulpit
Horncastle, St Mary, Nave, Pulpit

C19 pulpit.

DB 19 December 2018

Horncastle, Saint Mary, Church, pulpit
Horncastle, St Mary, North Aisle
Horncastle, St Mary, North Aisle
Horncastle, St Mary, North Aisle

View looking west. 

"North aisle of 1820-21 with windows and porch of 1859-61"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1168259 

DB 19 December 2018

Horncastle, Saint Mary, Church, North Aisle
Horncastle, St Mary, South Aisle
Horncastle, St Mary, South Aisle
Horncastle, St Mary, South Aisle

View looking west.

"South aisle of 1820-21 with windows of 1859-61"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1168259 

DB 19 December 2018

Horncastle, Saint Mary, Church, South Ailse
Horncastle, St Mary, South Aisle
Horncastle, St Mary, South Aisle
Horncastle, St Mary, South Aisle

"Triangular headed C19 south aisle archway leading into south aisle of chancel"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1168259 

DB 19 December 2018

Horncastle, Saint Mary, Church
Horncastle, St Mary, South Aisle, Brass
Horncastle, St Mary, South Aisle, Brass
Horncastle, St Mary, South Aisle, Brass

"Brass to Lionel Dymoke, died 1519, with kneeling soldier, and 2 sons and 3 daughters each on small plaque and 3 coats of arms"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1168259 

DB 19 December 2018

Horncastle, Saint Mary, Church, brass
Horncastle, Staunch
Horncastle, Staunch
Horncastle, Staunch

A key element of water control for drainage and navigation in Horncastle is the staunch (or stanch) at the confluence of rivers Bain and Waring and the beginning of the Horncastle-Tattershall Canal.

Installed in 1802 when the canal opened, it maintained the water level in both of the town’s canal basins and released excess water down the Bain at times of flood.

The staunch keeper's cottage can be seen to the right.

1914

Horncastle, staunch, stanch
Horncastle, The Staunch
Horncastle, The Staunch
Horncastle, The Staunch

Water level in the town’s two rivers is controlled at the staunch – or, as it was known locally, stanch.

It is situated off Coronation Walk close to the confluence of rivers Bain and Waring and at the beginning of the Horncastle to Tattershall Canal.

At a time of potential flood in the town water is discharged through the staunch into the original bed of the Bain. A modern sluice has replaced the staunch shown here.

Ken Redmore, 1957

Horncastle, staunch, stanch
Horncastle, Tupholme's Foundry
Horncastle, Tupholme's Foundry
Horncastle, Tupholme's Foundry

This building on the west side of Foundry Street on the corner of Laundry Lane was built as a foundry, occupied first by Thomas Tupholme in the 1830s and later by Arthur Barrett between 1846 and 1851.

In the late 1850s it was converted into the Wesleyan Day School and from 1907 it housed the Horncastle & Woodhall Spa Steam Laundry.

Horncastle, Tupholme foundry, Arthur Barrett, Steam Laundry
Horncastle, Water Mill
Horncastle, Water Mill
Horncastle, Water Mill

Horncastle's water mill was on the Bain where it entered the northern side of the town.

postcard, c.1970

Horncastle, water mill
Horncastle, Watson's Infants School
Horncastle, Watson's Infants School
Horncastle, Watson's Infants School

Watson's Free Infant School was founded by Richard Watson, son of a wealthy tanner, in 1786.

The school is in West Street (formerly Tanner Street), Horncastle.

It is now the headquarters of the Horncastle Photographic Society.

February 2010

Horncastle, Watons Infant School, West Street, Photographic Society,
Horncastle, Wesleyan Methodist School
Horncastle, Wesleyan Methodist School
Horncastle, Wesleyan Methodist School

Wesleyan Methodist School, Cagthorpe, was built in 1905 after the Foundry Street premises were condemned.

It became the secondary modern school for the town after the second world war until it was replaced in the 1960s by the Banovallum School on Boston Road.

(It now houses the town youth club.)

Pearl Wheatley, 2010

Horncastle, Wesleyan Methodist School, Cagthorpe,
Horncastle, Wheelwright's Furnace
Horncastle, Wheelwright's Furnace
Horncastle, Wheelwright's Furnace

The wheelwright's furnace or oven at 45 Foundry Street is a rare survival.

Metal tyres, standing vertically, were heated on the hearth of the oven before fitting over cart or wagon wheels in the wheelwright's yard alongside.

Matthew Scaman (father and then son) were the first wheelwrights here; Charles Twell followed in the 1920s.

Chris Lester, 2010

Horncastle, wheelwright furnace, Scaman, Twell,
Marwood, William - hangman
Marwood, William - hangman
Marwood, William - hangman

The tiny workshop occupied by William Marwood in Church Lane, Horncastle. The door to his premises, to the right of the frontage, has been bricked in.

 

Horncastle, William Marwood, Cobbler shop, public hangman, long drop executioner
Marwood, William - hangman
Marwood, William - hangman
Marwood, William - hangman

William Marwood (1818-1883) was the official hangman or principal exectioner from 1874.

He developed the 'long drop' technique of hanging, a relatively speedy and humane process.

Marwood lived in Church Lane Horncastle where he had a cobbler's workshop. This plaque is mounted on the building.

Horncastle, William Marwood, blue plaque, public hangman, long drop, executioner