Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Kirmond le Mire
 
Kirmond le Mire, Manor Farmstead
Kirmond le Mire, Manor Farmstead
Kirmond le Mire, Manor Farmstead

Manor Farm was built in 1868 for Christopher Turnor (of Stoke Rochford and Panton), then one of the largest landowners in the county.

The layout and accommodation were specifically designed to enable efficient operation of a mechanised farm in the era of 'high farming'.

This view from the SW includes the central blocks with dovecote, the wall of a crew yard and the gable of the W range.

Frank Robinson, 2010

Kirmond Le Mire, farmstead, farm buildings, Christopher Turnor,
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin

St Martinís was built in 1846 by W  A Nicholson, and financed by the local landowner Christopher Turnor and his tenants.

The building is Early English in style throughout Ė a more sober design than Nicholsonís other churches in the Wolds.

June 2014

Kirmond Le Mire, St Martin, Christopher Turnor, W A Nicholson
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin

The west end of St Martin's church has two lancets, a Jesse window and shafted bell-cote above.

June 2014

Kirmond Le Mire, St Martin church
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin

The small bell turret has a shafted opening and a gable above.

June 2014

Kirmond Le Mire, St Martin church
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, corbel
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, corbel
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, corbel

The timber roofs of nave and chancel are supported by corbels with medieval style heads.

June 2014

Kirmond Le Mire, St Martin church, corbel
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, window
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, window
Kirmond le Mire, St Martin, window

Window in Early English style by W A Nicholson.

June 2014

Kirmond Le Mire, St Martin, window