Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Knaith
 
Knaith Hall
Knaith Hall
Knaith Hall

The architectural history of this house is uncertain though it is known to be based on the Cistercian nunnery of Heynings, dissolved in c.1539.

It was owned and occupied by the Willoughby family until the early eighteenth century.

More details about this house and its owners can be found in T R Leach's book, 'Lincolnshire Country Houses and their Families: Part 1', published by SLHA.  Buy a copy.

Knaith, Hall, Heynings, Willoughby family
Knaith, St Mary
Knaith, St Mary
Knaith, St Mary

St Mary’s Knaith overlooks a bend in the river Trent.

The square building, with walls of the 11th and 14th centuries, is all that remains of the medieval church of Heynings Priory.

Within are a 14th century font, a Jacobean pulpit and pews, and a Victorian canopy over the altar.

May 2008

Knaith, St Mary church, Heynings Priory