Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Langrick
 
Langrick Ferry
Langrick Ferry
Langrick Ferry

A chain ferry crossed the River Witham at Langrick, 5 miles north-west of Boston, until the building of a bridge in 1908-9.

Postcard published by the London View Co. Ltd & posted from Boston in 1912.

Langrick, ferry
Langrick, Bridge
Langrick, Bridge
Langrick, Bridge

The steel bow girder bridge over the Witham at Langrick was built in 1908 at the joint expense of the Great Northern Railway (which controlled the Witham navigation) and the two county councils - Holland and Lindsey - linked by the bridge.

It replaced a long established ferry between Brothertoft and Langrick.

Ken Redmore, 2003

Langrick, bridge, river Witham, steel bow girder, GNR,
Langrick, Bridge
Langrick, Bridge
Langrick, Bridge

The steel road bridge, which cost £8490 to construct, carries some attractive wrought iron decoration, incorporating the shields of the two county councils either side of the River Witham (Lindsey and Holland).

The total length of the bridge is 174ft (53.4m) with a centre span of 120ft (36.6m).

Ken Redmore, 2003

Langrick, bridge, steel bow girder, Holland County Council, Lindsey,
Langrick, St Margaret
Langrick, St Margaret
Langrick, St Margaret

St Margaret's church was built in 1818 to the design of Jeptha Pacey.

It is built of red brick laid in English bond.

July 2017 

Langrick, St Margaret church, Jeptha Pacey
Langrick, St Margaret
Langrick, St Margaret
Langrick, St Margaret

The entrance to the church is through a porch at the west end of the nave.

The west end of the church is dominated by the large belfry topped by a stepped gable.

July 2017

Langrick, St Margaret
Langrick, St Margaret
Langrick, St Margaret
Langrick, St Margaret

Pevsner states that 'the windows are pointed in the late Georgian way but with wooden Perpendicular tracery'.

The simple dentilated frieze is carried along north and south faces of nave, chancel and porch.

July 2017

Langrick, St Margaret
Langrick, St Margaret
Langrick, St Margaret
Langrick, St Margaret

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"The church at Langrick (not yet named) is an edifice of red brick, erected in 1828, under the Inclosure Act, and consists of chancel, nave, west porch and a bell cote containing one bell:

there are I20 sittings.

The register for births and deaths dates from the year 1831; marriages, I837"

DB 7 May 2019

Langrick, Saint Margaret, Church
Langrick, St Margaret
Langrick, St Margaret
Langrick, St Margaret

Memorials to the Robinson family displayed prominently on the east wall of the chancel.

"Revd W.Robinson M.A the first Minister of this Chapelery"

DB 7 May 2019

Langrick, Saint Margaret, Church
Langrick, St Margaret, War Memorial
Langrick, St Margaret, War Memorial
Langrick, St Margaret, War Memorial

"The memorial was unveiled on 15 August 1920 by Major General Sir Reginald Hoskins DSO in a ceremony led by a number of local clergy.

It was designed by the architect Cecil Greenwood Hare and the memorial masons were Messrs Thompson of Peterborough.

An additional plaque, bearing the names of those who died during the Second World War, was added at a later date"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1450494 

DB 7 May 2019

Langrick, Saint Margaret, Churchyard, War Memorial
Langrick, Vicarage
Langrick, Vicarage
Langrick, Vicarage

Former Vicarage, located next to the church, now a private house. 

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"The living of Wildmore is a perpetual curacy, net yearly value £345, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Lincoln, and held since 1913 by the Rev. Gerald Marchant Davis M.A. of University College, Durham" 

DB 7 May 2019

Langrick, Vicarage, Wildmore