Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Lea
 
Lea Hall
Lea Hall
Lea Hall

The Andersons were the owners of Lea from the 14th century through to the twentieth.

The hall was unoccupied after 1923 was used by the army in World War 2 and demolished in the early 1960s.

This relatively modest house had a stair turret added by J L Pearson in 1875.

More details about this house and its owners can be found in T R Leach and R Pacey's book, 'Lost Lincolnshire Country Houses: Volume 2', published by SLHA.  Buy a copy.

Lea, Hall, Anderson, J L Pearson
Lea, St Helen
Lea, St Helen
Lea, St Helen

St Helenís in Lea lies in a still attractive village close to Gainsborough.

The tower is Perpendicular, the rest of the building both Early English & Decorated.

The north aisle contains several monuments to the Anderson family, once squires of Lea.

Mark Acton, 2014

Lea, St Helen church,
Lea, St Helen, monument
Lea, St Helen, monument
Lea, St Helen, monument

Monument in St Helenís church, Lea to Francis Foljambe Anderson who died in Grahamstown, South Africa on 15 September 1881 but was buried at sea on 8 October 1881 allegedly owning to sharks following the ship.

Mark Acton, 2014

Lea, St Helen church, monument, Francis Foljambe Anderson
Lea, St Helen, monument
Lea, St Helen, monument
Lea, St Helen, monument

Monument in St Helenís church, Lea to Sir Charles John Anderson, Bart., Rector of Lea from 1795-1846, and his wife Frances Mary.

Mark Acton, 2014

Lea, St Helen church, monument, Charles John Anderson, Frances Mary Anderson
Lea, St Helen, monument
Lea, St Helen, monument
Lea, St Helen, monument

The tomb of Sir Ralph Trehampton dating from around 1300 in St Helenís church, Lea.

Mark Acton, 2014

Lea, St Helen church, monument, Sir Ralph Trehampton
Lea, St Helen, monument
Lea, St Helen, monument
Lea, St Helen, monument

Monument in St Helenís church, Lea to Lieutenant Charles Vevers who was killed at the siege of St Sebastian in 1813.

Mark Acton, 2014

Lea, St Helen church, monument, Charles Vevers, Siege of St Sebastian
Lea, Village Pump
Lea, Village Pump
Lea, Village Pump

The village pump in Lea, near Gainsborough, in 1908.

Before the days of mains water supply, water for a villager's drinking and cooking was pumped from a well.

Most properties - provided there was a suitable supply nearby - had their own wells and pumps.

Other householders had to collect water in pails from the village pump, although rainwater collected in a butt was used for laundry.

Postcard, 1908

Lea, village pump, water supply,