Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Leadenham
 
Leadenham Hall
Leadenham Hall
Leadenham Hall

Built in the last decade of the eighteenth century in a position to the west of the village overlooking the Trent valley.

This is the view from the south-west, showing the principal façade facing south.

The east wing (not visible here) terminates in an arcade probably by Vulliamy in 1829.

April 2013

Leadenham, Vulliamy
Leadenham, Leadenham House, Kennels
Leadenham, Leadenham House, Kennels
Leadenham, Leadenham House, Kennels

Grade II listed kennels c.1820.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1061872 

Pevsner states possibly by E.J.Wilson.

"Edward James Willson, F.S.A., (1787–1854) was an English architect, antiquary, architectural writer, and mayor of Lincoln in 1851-2"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_James_Willson  

DB 21 May 2018 

Leadenham House, Kennels, Edward James Willson, fox hunting
Leadenham, Lowfield Mill (1)
Leadenham, Lowfield Mill (1)
Leadenham, Lowfield Mill (1)

One of a pair of mills, Lowfield Mill was built in 1840 with six floors and four sails.

Jon Sass Collection, photograph by D W Muggeridge, 1934

Leadenham, Lowfield windmill, Jon Sass
Leadenham, Lowfield Mill (2)
Leadenham, Lowfield Mill (2)
Leadenham, Lowfield Mill (2)

The machinery and equipment at Lowfield Mill was removed in the 1980s and twenty years later it was converted into a dwelling.

Location of mill: SK 921 532

Peter Kirk Collection, 1997
Leadenham, Lowfield mill, windmill, Peter Kirk
Leadenham, Lowfield Mill (3)
Leadenham, Lowfield Mill (3)
Leadenham, Lowfield Mill (3)

Another view of Leadenham Mill immediately prior to remodelling and extensions to create dwelling.

Peter Kirk Collection, 2005

Leadenham, windmill
Leadenham, Roman corn dryer
Leadenham, Roman corn dryer
Leadenham, Roman corn dryer

This structure is an example of what are commonly called 'corn dryers', though their actual function is disputed.

This example was excavated at Leadenham, and is now partly reconstructed in the archaeological gallery at The Collection in Lincoln.

Corn dryers are essentially underground flues built, in this instance, from stone.

The flue is 'H' shaped and has a single stoke hole.  On top of this would have been a timber building.

The heat from the fire would have warmed the floor of the building above, leading to the suggestion that they were used for drying corn.

More recent experiments, however, have led to alternative suggestions, such as that they were used as part of the beer making process.

Courtesy of Lincolnshire County Council, The Collection

Leadenham, Roman corn dryer,
Leadenham, St Swithin
Leadenham, St Swithin
Leadenham, St Swithin

St Swithin’s is largely 14th century, with a spacious aisled nave and a clerestory above.  The spire dates from the 15th century.

April 2013

Leadenham, St Swithin church
Leadenham, St Swithin
Leadenham, St Swithin
Leadenham, St Swithin

St Swithin’s with its 15th century spire, makes a fine sight when viewed from the Cliff.

The edges of the spire are crocketed and there are two tiers of lucarnes in alternating directions.

April 2013

Leadenham, St Swithin church, spire
Leadenham, St Swithin, Chancel Ceiling
Leadenham, St Swithin, Chancel Ceiling
Leadenham, St Swithin, Chancel Ceiling

There are several 19th century fittings inside St Swithin's.

Of particular note is the chancel roof that was hand painted by Pugin in 1841.

April 2013

Leadenham, St Swithin, chancel ceiling, Pugin
Leadenham, St Swithin, Gravestones
Leadenham, St Swithin, Gravestones
Leadenham, St Swithin, Gravestones

Fine eighteenth century tombstones by the north-west corner of the church.

April 2013

Leadenham, St Swithin, gravestones
Leadenham, St Swithin, Reredos
Leadenham, St Swithin, Reredos
Leadenham, St Swithin, Reredos

The reredos and panelling in the chancel were installed in the mid-nineteenth century when much of the church's interior was refurbished.

April 2013

Leadenham, St Swithin, reredos
Leadenham, St Swithin, Stained Glass
Leadenham, St Swithin, Stained Glass
Leadenham, St Swithin, Stained Glass

This window, at the east end of the north aisle, bears the following dedication:

'To the honour of God in this Church of their native place, this window is dedicated by Colonel John Reeve in loving memory of his Sister Susan Millicent Fane who was interred near the South Porch on the 18th of December 1877'

April 2013

Leadenham, St Swithin, stained glass, John Reeve, Susan Millicent Fane
Leadenham, Willoughby Arms
Leadenham, Willoughby Arms
Leadenham, Willoughby Arms

Former Willoughby Arms public house.

Ghost sign states

"FREE HOUSE

COACHES WELCOME

MINERALS AND COFFEE"

Sign presumably dates from before the bypass when many coaches would have to travel through Leadenham on the A17.

DB 14 March 2018

Leadenham, Willoughby Arms