An accompanying plaque states :-
"The Joseph Ruston Gates
These gates were originally made for Joseph Ruston's Monks Manor estate, around 2.5 miles northeast of here, to the east of Lincoln Cathedral.
Joseph Ruston (1835 - 1897) was a mechanical engineer and, amongst many achievements, head of Ruston, Proctor & Company, a major agricultural engineering company which was situated near here.
He was a great benefactor to Lincoln and at different times held the positions of Mayor of Lincoln, High Sheriff of Lincolnshire and MP for Lincoln.
The Monks Manor estate was demolished in 1932, and soon after the gates were installed here at the main entrance to Boultham Park, which had become a public park in 1929.
The piers were designed by William Watkins in 1872, when he was remodelling and enlarging Boultham Hall for Colonel Richard Ellison.
The gates were restored in 2018 as part of the Boultham Park Restoration Project"
DB 31 July 2019