Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Lincoln Chapels
 
Lincoln Central Methodist Church
Lincoln Central Methodist Church
Lincoln Central Methodist Church

The capital of a column supporting the gallery at Central Methodist Church.

2012

Chapels, Lincoln Central Methodist
Lincoln, Central Methodist Church
Lincoln, Central Methodist Church
Lincoln, Central Methodist Church

The interior of the Central Methodist Church is largely original (1905), with elliptical arched boarded ceiling and panelled ribs, and patterned stained glass windows.

The panelled horseshoe-shaped gallery is supported by round cast-iron columns. The wooden pulpit, dais and rail date from 1968.

2012

Chapels, Lincoln Central Methodist
Lincoln, Central Methodist Church
Lincoln, Central Methodist Church
Lincoln, Central Methodist Church
This stained glass window on the north side of the sanctuary at Central Methodist Church is part of the original 1905 construction.
Chapels, Lincoln Central Methodist
Lincoln, Central Methodist Church
Lincoln, Central Methodist Church
Lincoln, Central Methodist Church
Detail from a stained glass window on the east side of the sanctuary at Central Methodist Church.
Chapels, Lincoln Central Methodist Church
Lincoln, Central Methodist Church
Lincoln, Central Methodist Church
Lincoln, Central Methodist Church

This church, with its adjoining Sunday school, theatre and meeting rooms, was built in 1905 by Howdill & Sons of Leeds in Baroque Revival style.

It is constructed in red brick with ashlar dressings, and slate roofs.

2012

See other images of this church
Chapels, Lincoln, Central Methodist Church, Howdill & Sons.
Lincoln, Gresham Street, Congregational Chapel
Lincoln, Gresham Street, Congregational Chapel
Lincoln, Gresham Street, Congregational Chapel

The former Congregational Church on Gresham Street was built in 1867 with the Sunday School added by 1905.

Later uses included a factory but by 2010 it housed a surgery, a dwelling and offices.

Pearl Wheatley, 2012

Chapels, Gresham Street, Congregational Church Chapel
Lincoln, St Catherine Methodist Church
Lincoln, St Catherine Methodist Church
Lincoln, St Catherine Methodist Church

St Katherine’s Heritage and Cultural Centre, which now occupies this building, is a multi-use access centre, offering the wider community a flexible, friendly community facility, providing a range of services and activities to all.

It features exhibits of local history and it operated by The Priory Trust.

September 2014

Chapels, St Catherine Methodist Church
Lincoln, St Catherine Methodist Church
Lincoln, St Catherine Methodist Church
Lincoln, St Catherine Methodist Church

This chapel was opened in 1888. (The schoolroom behind had opened two years earlier.) The tower was added in 1908/09.

The last service at St Catherine’s was in August 1977. It is now a heritage and cultural centre.

September 2014

See other images of this church 

Chapels, Lincoln, St Catherine Methodist Church
Lincoln, St Catherine Methodist Church, pulpit
Lincoln, St Catherine Methodist Church, pulpit
Lincoln, St Catherine Methodist Church, pulpit

St Catherine's has retained this stone pulpit, typical in style and design for a Methodist church of its period.

Preaching from the pulpit was, after all, central to Methodist liturgy and practice.

September 2014

Chapels, St Catherine Methodist Church, pulpit
Lincoln, Unitarian Chapel
Lincoln, Unitarian Chapel
Lincoln, Unitarian Chapel

The Unitarian chapel was built in the early eighteenth century, altered in 1819, with late-nineteenth century additions.

It is built of brick, rendered, with stone dressings and hipped slate roof with a single stack.

This photograph, dated 1904, shows the west elevation before the porch was built.

Chapels, Lincoln Unitarian
Lincoln, Unitarian Chapel
Lincoln, Unitarian Chapel
Lincoln, Unitarian Chapel

The interior of the Unitarian chapel has moulded band and cornice, and ceiling with renewed plaster bosses.

The painted decoration on north wall (seen in this photograph) dates from the nineteenth century.

Fittings include oak corner pulpit and communion table, and plain benches. There is a wooden First World War memorial board.

2012

Chapels, Lincoln Unitarian, painted decoration
Lincoln, Unitarian Chapel
Lincoln, Unitarian Chapel
Lincoln, Unitarian Chapel

The Unitarian chapel was built on Lincoln's High Street in the early eighteenth century, altered in 1819, with late-nineteenth century additions.

It is built of brick, rendered, with stone dressings and hipped slate roof with a single stack.

The west front on High Street has a central stone porch with pediment and ball finials.

See other images of this church
Chapels, Lincoln, Unitarian Chapwl
Lincoln, Wesley Chapel, Clasketgate
Lincoln, Wesley Chapel, Clasketgate
Lincoln, Wesley Chapel, Clasketgate

The Wesleyan Chapel on Clasketgate was built in 1836 to cater for the growing popularity of Methodism in the City.

Designed by W A Nicholson in neo-classical style, and with a grand entrance portico, the chapel could seat 1400 people.

Affectionately known as ‘Big Wesley’, it was for many years the largest Wesleyan church in Lincoln.  It was closed in 1961 and demolished two years later.

Photograph from the book to mark the chapel's centenary, 1936.

Chapels, Lincoln, Big Wesley, Clasketgate
Lincoln, West Parade, Methodist Chapel
Lincoln, West Parade, Methodist Chapel
Lincoln, West Parade, Methodist Chapel

The Wesleyan Chapel at the corner of Gresham Street and West Parade was built about 1907. It was converted to dwellings in 2015.

Pearl Wheatley, 2012

Chapels, West Parade, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel