Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Lincoln Churches
 
Lincoln, Monks Abbey
Lincoln, Monks Abbey
Lincoln, Monks Abbey

This is the chancel of the 12th century church of the abbey, the cell of St Mary's Abbey, York.

The eastern part (facing the camera) was rebuilt in the 13th century and the windows renewed a century or so later.

April 2016

Churches, Monks Abbey
Lincoln, Monks Abbey
Lincoln, Monks Abbey
Lincoln, Monks Abbey

This is the unbuttressed chancel of the original 12th century abbey church. The windows seen here on the south side, with their Perpendicular tracery, were renewed c.1400.

April 2016

Churches, Monks Abbey
Lincoln, St Benedict
Lincoln, St Benedict
Lincoln, St Benedict

St Benedict's church, on the west side of the High Street below High Bridge, has a late Anglo-Saxon tower with twin bell openings.

Much of the building dates from the 13th and 14th centuries. It is the home of the Mothers' Union for the Lincoln Diocese.

The city's principal war memorial stands to the west of the church on the site of the graveyard shown in this photograph.

Postcard, 1905

Lincoln, St Benedict church, Mothers' Union, war memorial,
Lincoln, St Giles
Lincoln, St Giles
Lincoln, St Giles

Built in 1936, St Giles is a copy in red brick of the 18th century church of St Peter-at Arches, demolished a few years earlier.

The building incorporates some masonry and fittings from the
18th century church which stood at the junction of High Street and Silver Street in the City.

February 2012

Churches, Lincoln St Giles
Lincoln, St Giles
Lincoln, St Giles
Lincoln, St Giles

Built in 1936, St Giles is a copy in red brick of the Georgian church of St Peter-at Arches, demolished a few years earlier in the centre of Lincoln.

The building incorporates some masonry and fittings from the
18th century church.

February 2012

St Giles, St Peter at Arches, Lincoln
Lincoln, St John the Baptist
Lincoln, St John the Baptist
Lincoln, St John the Baptist

The interior of the church of St John Baptist, Ermine, Lincoln, which was designed by local architect Sam Scorer and opened in 1963.

Scorer's design, with its central sanctuary, was based on the ideas of the New Churches Research Group, formed in 1957.

The colourful window in the east wall was designed by Keith New at the Royal College of Art.

undated postcard

Lincoln, St John the Baptist church, Sam Scorer, Keith New, New Churches Research Group,
Lincoln, St John the Baptist
Lincoln, St John the Baptist
Lincoln, St John the Baptist

The church of St John Baptist, Ermine, Lincoln was designed by local architect Sam Scorer and opened in 1963.

It is one of several structures he created in which the roof shape is a hyperbolic parabola and is constructed in 3-inch reinforced concrete covered in aluminium.

The roof's low points to the north and south originally dipped into pools of water.

Undated postcard

Lincoln, St John the Baptist church, Sam Scorer, hyperbolic parabola,
Lincoln, St Mark
Lincoln, St Mark
Lincoln, St Mark

Built by William Watkins in 1871-2 on High Street close to the St Marks (Midland) Station, this large 13th century style church was demolished in 1971.

It contained some Norman fragments from the original church on this site.

Undated postcard

Lincoln, St Mark, church, William Watkins,
Lincoln, St Mary Le Wigford
Lincoln, St Mary Le Wigford
Lincoln, St Mary Le Wigford

The church of St Mary le Wigford stands on the High Street close to the Central Station.

The tower is Anglo-Saxon and the rest of the church is essentially Early English.

To the west of the church, right alongside the street, is a conduit brought from the Whitefriars in 1540.

Postcard, 1908

Lincoln, St Mary le Wigford church, conduit, Anglo-Saxon, tower, Whitefriars,
Lincoln, St Nicholas
Lincoln, St Nicholas
Lincoln, St Nicholas

The view from the west of the south side of St Nicholas's Church, Newport, Lincoln.

The church was built in 1839 to replace a medieval church in the same parish but not on the same site.

September 2013

Lincoln St Nicholas church
Lincoln, St Nicholas
Lincoln, St Nicholas
Lincoln, St Nicholas

The church was built in 1839 and is notable for being the very first of the many churches designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott.

The building is in Early English style and has a south-west tower with broach spire.

February 2014

Lincoln St Nicholas Church, George Gilbert Scott
Lincoln, St Nicholas, interior
Lincoln, St Nicholas, interior
Lincoln, St Nicholas, interior

The interior of the chancel of St Nicholas's Church is unusually open and bright .

Scott's original church of 1838-39 had no chancel, but one was added by C Hodgson Fowler in 1909.  It recently been refurbished.

September 2013

Lincoln, St Nicholas church, interior, G G Scott, C Hodgson Fowler
Lincoln, St Paul in the Bail
Lincoln, St Paul in the Bail
Lincoln, St Paul in the Bail

The small Georgian church seen here was replaced by a larger church in 1877. This later church survived until 1971 when it was demolished and a public open space created.

Excavation has shown evidence for a succession of churches here, the earliest being timber buildings of possibly the 5th or 6th century.

The site lies within what was the forum of Roman Lincoln.

Undated postcard

Lincoln, St Paul in the Bail, church
Lincoln, St Peter at Arches
Lincoln, St Peter at Arches
Lincoln, St Peter at Arches

St Peter at Arches in Lincoln (c1720) was an early Georgian Church which stood at the junction of the High Street and Silver Street until 1936 when it was moved to Lamb Gardens on the North-East edge of the city and rededicated to St Giles.

Postcard, 1907

Lincoln, St Peter at Arches church, St Giles,
Lincoln, St Swithin
Lincoln, St Swithin
Lincoln, St Swithin

Tower and spire - together 200 feet high - were built in 1884-87.

The design - with the spire supported by flying buttresses from the tall pinnacles - is based on that of St James’s church, Louth.

Edwardian postcard

Churches, Lincoln St Swithin church
Lincoln, St Swithin
Lincoln, St Swithin
Lincoln, St Swithin

St Swithin’s is one of the grandest of James Fowler’s churches.   Work began with the nave and aisles in 1869, the tower being finally completed in 1887.

The building, which shows  Decorated and Early English styles, was largely funded by local industrialists Clayton and Shuttleworth and their families.

January 2014

Churches, St Swithin Lincoln church, James Fowler, Clayton & Shuttleworth
Lincoln, St&nbspSwithin
Lincoln, St Swithin
Lincoln, St Swithin

The bell-stage of the tower at St Swithin's has trellis decoration similar to that of the cathedral, c.1240.

January 2014

Churches, Lincoln St Swithin church
Lincoln, Bracebridge, All Saints
Lincoln, Bracebridge, All Saints
Lincoln, Bracebridge, All Saints

Now within Lincoln, Bracebridge All Saints has an Anglo-Saxon nave, with long and short quoins.

Inside, the tall narrow Saxon chancel arch is also notable. The north chapel was built by J L Pearson, 1874-75.

Mark Acton, 2010

Lincoln, Bracebridge, All Saints church, Pearson, Saxon,
St Andrew church
St Andrew church
St Andrew church

This church, built in the Early English style by James Fowler in 1877 with seating for 600, stood on Canwick Road.

The chancel was decorated by G F Bodley.

It was demolished in 1968.

Churches, St Andrew church, James Fowler, G F Bodley
St Martin church
St Martin church
St Martin church

The church of St Martin stood at the corner of Orchard Street and West Parade.

The last church on the site – shown here - was built in 1873 by A S Beckett and demolished in the 1970s.

Churches, St Martin Church, A S Beckett
St Paul church
St Paul church
St Paul church

Sir Arthur Blomfield built this church on the corner of Westgate to replace a Georgian building in 1877.

It was declared redundant and demolished in 1982.

Churches, St Paul in the Bail, Sir Arthur Blomfield
St Peter at Gowts
St Peter at Gowts
St Peter at Gowts

This drawing by Grimm (1784) shows St Peter at Gowts on the lower High Street prior to the nineteenth century restoration, when the nave (1888) and north aisle (1853) were rebuilt.

The west tower dates from the later Anglo-Saxon period.

The recessed bell-stage has twin bell-openings with mid-wall shafts.

Churches, St Peter at Gowts church