Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Lincoln Industry
 
Beevor Street
Beevor Street
Beevor Street

The large building at the junction of Beevor Street and Rope Walk was at one time Henry Poppleton's sweet factory.

It was later used by James Dawson, industrial belt manufacturer, and it was this firm that built a new factory on the site in 1960.

IA and Bridges, Henry Poppleton, Sweet Manufacturer, James Dawson
Dickinson's Mill
Dickinson's Mill
Dickinson's Mill
IA and Bridges, Dickinson's Mill
Lincoln, Avoiding Line
Lincoln, Avoiding Line
Lincoln, Avoiding Line

This bridge, carrying the Lincoln Avoiding Line over the River Witham in the foreground and the drain beyond, behind the garages, was the City’s longest railway bridge. It was 96 metres, (315 feet), long.

The Firth Road premises of what is now Siemens can be seen through and beyond the bridge.

The Avoiding Line opened in 1882 as a railway bypass around the City, part of the route of the Great Eastern and Great Northern Joint Railway carrying trains between East Anglia, to south Yorkshire and beyond.

This part of that route was closed in 1983 and dismantled the following year, at which time this bridge was demolished.

Peter Grey Archive, 1984

IA and Bridges, avoiding line
Lincoln, Avoiding LIne
Lincoln, Avoiding LIne
Lincoln, Avoiding LIne

The Lincoln Avoiding Line opened in 1882 as a railway bypass around the City centre to carry, principally, goods trains.

Using this through trains did not require the closure of the level crossings and trains from most directions could also access the Lincoln Holmes Yard, again avoiding level crossings.

It was closed in 1983 and the route dismantled the following year. Much of the track bed has disappeared under housing and commercial redevelopments.

Peter Grey Archive, 1984

IA and Bridges, avoiding line
Lincoln, Avoiding Line, Greetwell Junction
Lincoln, Avoiding Line, Greetwell Junction
Lincoln, Avoiding Line, Greetwell Junction

The Lincoln Avoiding Line opened in 1882 as a railway bypass around Lincoln City centre.

At its eastern end was Greetwell Junction, the place where the new route connected with the line to Sleaford, also opened in 1882, together with a new line eastwards to link with the line to Boston, opened in 1848.

The Avoiding Line closed in 1983 and in this view the demolition train can be seen in the left background.

Peter Grey Archive, 1984

IA and Bridges, Lincoln avoiding line, Greetwell Junction
Lincoln, Avoiding Line, High Street
Lincoln, Avoiding Line, High Street
Lincoln, Avoiding Line, High Street

For 102 years, 1882 to 1984, the lower end of Lincoln High Street was crossed by this bridge.

It carried the Lincoln Avoiding Line at a high level around the south of the City, providing a route for trains not needing to disrupt traffic by passing over the level crossings in the City centre.

his bridge will be well remembered for the inspired advertising slogan it carried in its later years, shown in this view.

Peter Grey Archive, 1984

IA and Bridges, avoiding line, Lincoln High Street
Lincoln, Ellis Windmill
Lincoln, Ellis Windmill
Lincoln, Ellis Windmill

This small mill, built in 1798, has 4 sails and only 3 floors.

During the nineteenth century it was one of 8 mills along a short stretch of Burton Road to the north-west of the city.

The mill suffered a disastrous fire in the early 1970s but was fully restored in 1978-81 by the Lincoln Civic Trust to mark the Queen's Silver Jubilee.

Ken Redmore

Ellis windmill, corn mill, Lincoln, Civic Trust,
Lincoln, High Level Crossing
Lincoln, High Level Crossing
Lincoln, High Level Crossing

Level crossings in Lincoln have been the subject of controversy in the City since 1848 when the City Council received a petition expressing concern from a number of townspeople.

Since that time they have been a controversial issue and remain so today.

Details can be found in The Railway History of Lincoln, by Ruddock and Pearson, 1974.

Over the years their number has been reduced but that over the High Street remains.

Here, in 1982, the traditional crossing gates were being replaced with lifting barriers, an improvement to reduce street closure times.

Peter Grey Archive, 1969

IA and Bridges, Lincoln High Street level crossing
Lincoln, Ironstone Mine
Lincoln, Ironstone Mine
Lincoln, Ironstone Mine

The former entrance to Grundy’s No 1 ironstone mine, between Crofton Road and Greetwell Road in Lincoln.

This adit was in use from about 1904 and the mine had closed by 1920.

The mine has collapsed and the entrance has been sealed.

Stewart Squires

Lincoln, ironstone mine, Grundy, Greetwell Road,
Lincoln, J T B Porter, Advertisement
Lincoln, J T B Porter, Advertisement
Lincoln, J T B Porter, Advertisement

J T B Porter was an iron founder at Gowts Bridge, Lincoln from 1855 until 1919 when the firm amalgamated with Penney & Co.

Porter was one of the principal gas engineers in the country, boasting over 600 installations by the 1880s.

Several Lincolnshire town gasworks were built or extended by his firm. He also installed gasworks at country houses.

It is not known which house is depicted in this advertisement. We would like to hear from anyone who can identify it.

 

Advert, c1875

Lincoln, Porter, gas engineer, founder,
Lincoln, Railway Warehouse
Lincoln, Railway Warehouse
Lincoln, Railway Warehouse

The Great Central Railway opened their new warehouse on Holmes Yard on 8 July 1907 but it became surplus to requirements after the Railway Grouping in 1923.

At that time, along with the Great Eastern and the Great Northern Railways in the City they all became part of the London and North Eastern Railway (LNER).

The LNER decided to concentrate their sack hire service to farmers at four locations, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, York and Lincoln and this became the Lincoln sack depot.

It closed in 1963, becoming for some years a builders' merchant, in which guise it is seen here.

It survives today but now as the Library of the University of Lincoln which occupies the site of the former Holmes goods yard.

Peter Grey Archive, c.1980

IA and Bridges, G C R Railway Warehouse, sack depot
Lincoln, St Mark's Station
Lincoln, St Mark's Station
Lincoln, St Mark's Station

Lincolnshire’s first main railway station, originally called simply Lincoln it was renamed Lincoln St Marks in 1950.

Opened in 1846 and built by the Midland Railway the attractive architecture of the lines buildings was particularly impressive.

It became the City’s main station in 1965 when trains to London were diverted here from the City’s other station.

With major alterations to the railway layout in Lincoln in 1985 it was closed but this building has been successfully converted as part of the shopping centre here and this view is little changed.

Peter Grey Archive, 1981

IA and Bridges, St Mark's Station, Midland railway
Perseverance Cork& Glue
Perseverance Cork& Glue
Perseverance Cork& Glue

This stone was set in the wall between numbers 34 and 36 Alfred Street.

This commemorates the building of these houses by James Anderton out of the proceeds (£800) from showing his model of Lincoln Cathedral made from old bottle corks.

IA and Bridges,