Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Lincoln Streets
 
Lincoln, Arboretum
Lincoln, Arboretum
Lincoln, Arboretum

The Arboretum in Lincoln opened in 1872.

The lion statue was the gift of F. J. Clarke, businessman and four-times mayor of Lincoln. It was made from composition stone by Austin and Seeley of London.

undated postcard

Streets, Lincoln Arboretum, F J Clarke, Auston & Seeley, lion statue
Lincoln, Broadgate
Lincoln, Broadgate
Lincoln, Broadgate

Broadgate, the principal north-south street parallel to Lincoln's High Street, gives an impressive, uninterrupted view of the Cathedral.

In the foreground is the junction between Clasketgate & Silver Street (to the left), Monks Road (right) and Lindum Hill (ahead).

This is a postcard of a painting by Arthur C Payne, probably dating from the inter-war period.

Undated postcard

Lincoln, Broadgate, Arthur Payne, Cathedral,
Lincoln, Castle Hill
Lincoln, Castle Hill
Lincoln, Castle Hill

The area between Exchequer Gate and the Castle in Lincoln, known as Castle Hill, is cobbled.

The timber-framed building on the corner of Bailgate, formerly a bank and now the local tourist office, has two overhangs and three gables.

On the north side of the hill towards the castle are fine 18th and 19th century houses.

Undated postcard

Lincoln, Castle Hill, Castle, Bailgate,
Lincoln, Drury Lane
Lincoln, Drury Lane
Lincoln, Drury Lane

The view is from the former hospital, later Chad Varah House, in Wordsworth Street looking down on Drury Lane, which sweeps from side to side.

Lincoln Castle's Observatory Tower is in the centre background; the East Gate to the extreme right; Lucy Tower to the left.

For centuries both houses and businesses were situated close to the Castle walls.  The building with the tall chimney houses the Drury Lane Brewery.

1930s photograph

Lincoln Streets, Drury Lane, Castle, Drury Lane Brewery, Observatory Tower
Lincoln, Greestone Steps
Lincoln, Greestone Steps
Lincoln, Greestone Steps

Greestone Steps link Lindum Hill with Greestone Place and the Cathedral Precinct.

The steps begin alongside the former Christ's Hospital Girls High School (left) and reach the Tithe Barn (also left) as they broaden out into Greestone (or Grecian) Place.

1930s photograph

Lincoln Streets, Greestone Steps
Lincoln, High Street
Lincoln, High Street
Lincoln, High Street

This view of the High Street looks northwards from the top floor of the present Lloyds Bank.

To the right of the Stonebow in the middle distance can be seen the tower of St Peter at Arches and the Cathedral.

In the centre foreground is the stone obelisk which stood on the eastern side of the High Bridge.

Undated postcard

Lincoln, High Street, Stonebow, obelisk,
Lincoln, High Street
Lincoln, High Street
Lincoln, High Street

Shops on the High Bridge, Lincoln, viewed from the south-east.

The date is after the 1902 restoration, probably in the 1920s.

Postcard

Lincoln, High Street, High Bridge,
Lincoln, High Street
Lincoln, High Street
Lincoln, High Street

Another view of the High Street looks northwards from the top floor of the present Lloyds Bank or an adjacent building.

To the right of the Stonebow in the middle distance can be seen the tower of St Peter at Arches (see above) and the Cathedral.

In the centre foreground is the stone obelisk which stood on the eastern side of the High Bridge.

Undated postcard

Lincoln, High Street, Stonebow, St Peter at Arches, obelisk,
Lincoln, High Street
Lincoln, High Street
Lincoln, High Street

Looking north up High Street with the tower of St Mark's Church showing on the left-hand side.

The small street in the left foreground is Anchor Street; Portland Street is a little further along on the right.

1930s postcard

Lincoln Streets, High Street
Lincoln, Linton Place
Lincoln, Linton Place
Lincoln, Linton Place

This small terrace was off the lower High Street close to St Peter at Gowtís Church.

Like most industrial cities which expanded rapidly in the nineteenth century, Lincoln had large areas of back-to-back, high density housing.

Linton Place was demolished in the 1930s.

Postcard, 1901

Streets, Lincoln, Linton Place, St Peter Gowts
Lincoln, Lower High Street
Lincoln, Lower High Street
Lincoln, Lower High Street

This section of Lincoln's High Street has changed little in the half century or so since this photograph was taken.

St Mary's Guildhall, on the right, built in the 12th century, has had many uses over the years.

It is owned by the City Council and leased to Lincoln Civic Trust, who restored the building in 1984.

A section of the original Roman Fosse way - complete with wheel ruts - can be viewed through a glass panel in the main ground floor room.

Undated postcard

Lincoln, Lowere High Street, St Mary's Guiildhall, Civic Trust,
Lincoln, South Park
Lincoln, South Park
Lincoln, South Park

This Edwardian postcard depicts South Park with the lower slopes of South Common to the right.

South Common, a site of nature conservation importance, covers an area of 80 hectares between Canwick Road and Cross O'Cliff Hill.

Its southern boundary rises steeply to the limestone edge.

 

Lincoln, South Park, South Common,
Lincoln, St Giles, Shops
Lincoln, St Giles, Shops
Lincoln, St Giles, Shops

Much of the St Gilesí estate was developed in the 1920s and 1930s, though a small section had been built near the Wragby Road just before the First World War.

The shopping centre, dominated by the Lincoln Co-operative Societyís grocerís, butcherís and chemistís shops, was built in the 1930s.

Undated postcard

Streets, Lincoln St Giles, Shops
Lincoln, St Swithun's&nbspSquare
Lincoln, St Swithun's Square
Lincoln, St Swithun's Square

The church of St Swithun is to the left and Broadgate at the end of the street.

Postcard, 1920

Streets, Lincoln, Silver Street, St Swithun
Lincoln, Steep Hill
Lincoln, Steep Hill
Lincoln, Steep Hill

This, the steepest section of the old street linking lower and upper parts of the city, remains largely unchanged.

1920s photograph

Lincoln Streets, Steep Hill
Lincoln, Well Lane Pump
Lincoln, Well Lane Pump
Lincoln, Well Lane Pump

This public pump is at the junction of Well Lane and Steep Hill.

May 2013

IA and Bridges, well lane, well
Tram at level crossing
Tram at level crossing
Tram at level crossing

This undated photograph shows the workers' car of a Lincoln tram passing over the level crossing on High Street by St Mary le Wigford Church.

Streets, tram